Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Souf london identity??

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Have you been to CP Park, the restaurants, the park itself the nice tree lined houses. There is a reason why, now the overground is there and is getting transport that its going through the t=rrof. To describe it as an inner city is crazy. Palace are suburban club, and always have been. I take it that Ive iived in more areas of London than you then.

Actually reading this answer again shows me all I need to know. You only know the mains roads around crystal palace, so basically you drive through it and are an expert. I must be an expert on Brighton then.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
well south london areas, inner south london is 2, and outer south another 2, plus west south. know it very well.

I have lived in Lewisham, Downham, Lee Green, Peckham, Camberwell, Addiscombe, Sydenham, Brixton, Forest Hill, Grove park and thats probably only half of them. But there is not a part of south London I do not know. When you have lived somewhere nearly forty years that's what happens

Feb 14, 2010
We are not a gritty inner London club, we have never tried to be gritty. We are in London though, but I'm not having that argument with him as I couldn't give am monkeys what he thinks.
But the areas around Selhurst are gritty, or as I call them shiteholes.

Out of interest wcp what area of London do you live in, just the area. I don't what your address or anything.

There are areas that are npt great but its not Elep[hant or the Island in the 80s. Id say Norwood / Selhurst more like the typical not so good area that could be in any area of England, whether the south coast, Luton or whatever.

Ive been very lucky and worked hard, Im zone 1 central now. its bloody fantastic and taken me years to get here. I love London, like south London, seen how inner south has changed for the better and lived in inner south when it hadnt changed. I do laugh at kids whose grandparents who were from London but they themselves were born in say Crawley or Essex who talk about London when they have not the first idea of it because they have never lived here. Especially when they talk with the fake london accent instead of the old proper london accent which is actually allot softer and nice. West Ham the worst offenders for that or "old school Chelsea". Lots of Palace stll live in the traditional area and much of that is because unlike west ham, it wasnt bombed heavily and became an area to move to after the war and when inner london started being done up in the 90s. Ive allot of respect for palace actually but you do hear a load of old shit talked about Palace and Brighton.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was born in Lambeth, and no one EVER considered Croydon or the area around Selhurst to be South London even after the boundary change.
They were always North Surrey and the scummy section to boot. Gritty South Londoners my bumcheeks. They have always been just gypsies who are desperately clinging to the coattails of an area they have nothing to do with. :wanker:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
There are areas that are npt great but its not Elep[hant or the Island in the 80s. Id say Norwood / Selhurst more like the typical not so good area that could be in any area of England, whether the south coast, Luton or whatever.

Ive been very lucky and worked hard, Im zone 1 central now. its bloody fantastic and taken me years to get here. I love London, like south London, seen how inner south has changed for the better and lived in inner south when it hadnt changed. I do laugh at kids whose grandparents who were from London but they themselves were born in say Crawley or Essex who talk about London when they have not the first idea of it because they have never lived here. Especially when they talk with the fake london accent instead of the old proper london accent which is actually allot softer and nice. West Ham the worst offenders for that or "old school Chelsea". Lots of Palace stll live in the traditional area and much of that is because unlike west ham, it wasnt bombed heavily and became an area to move to after the war and when inner london started being done up in the 90s. Ive allot of respect for palace actually but you do hear a load of old shit talked about Palace and Brighton.

You live in zone 1, so only really know south London by driving through its hence you mention tree lined streets around crystal palace. Or as I know them crystal palace park road and palace parade.
Which areas of south London did you live?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I was born in Lambeth, and no one EVER considered Croydon or the area around Selhurst to be South London even after the boundary change.
They were always North Surrey and the scummy section to boot. Gritty South Londoners my bumcheeks. They have always been just gypsies who are desperately clinging to the coattails of an area they have nothing to do with. :wanker:

Of course you were, how long since you lived here? How long did you live here?

Another one who projects his love for Brighton but seems to be an expert on London.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Of course you were, how long since you lived here? How long did you live here?

Another one who projects his love for Brighton but seems to be an expert on London.
Chirping again after your lucky draw against a poor Swansea team I see.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I nver heard that either, I just thought it came from them being rival dock workers. I cannot imagine anyone breaking a strike with the dockers, as there would literally have been murder. You just did not need with another man's living then, even if you detested him.

The Skates and Scummers thing between Pompey and Southampton actually DID start with a dock strike and strike-breaking and was later reinforced by the Merchant Navy (Southampton) claiming the Royal Navy (Pompey) not doing enough to protect shipping in the very early part of the War, and the inter-city rivalry has continued unabated - one of the fiercest there is.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
The Skates and Scummers thing between Pompey and Southampton actually DID start with a dock strike and strike-breaking and was later reinforced by the Merchant Navy (Southampton) claiming the Royal Navy (Pompey) not doing enough to protect shipping in the very early part of the War, and the inter-city rivalry has continued unabated - one of the fiercest there is.

Interesting, I will have a read up on that. I did try to find something on the Millwall/West ham thing but cannot find anything on Google?
Thanks

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Sorry mate, i like and agree with most of your posts , i'll (just) give you the bit about croydon a few years ago, although i'd say its south london now, but the bit about selhurst not being considered south london ? Pure , unadulterated bollocks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Interesting, I will have a read up on that. I did try to find something on the Millwall/West ham thing but cannot find anything on Google?
Thanks

A few years back I worked in Chichester where virtually all my colleagues were Pompey fans. I remember reading about the Pompey-Saints thing while on a break and I suppose it must have been in the Pompey News, as this was the staple reading material of my colleagues. The article concerned stated that the strike-breakers were from Southampton and that the origin of the Scummers tag was their own name for themselves - Southampton Company Union Men (SCUM). As an outsider to all this I was always amazed at the level of animosity between the fans; not just rivalry on the pitch but an inter-city dislike with deep roots. One guy I worked with would not even tolerate the use of the very word "Southampton". A visiting delivery man who had a Southampton car kit on his rear-view mirror had always delivered to the West of S'ton and was staggered at the reaction he got from ordinary people as he drove through Pompey to Chi for the first time. His van was banged on at a set of lights and there were numerous V-signs and Wanker signs as he drove along. My son has a mate whose family are Southampton fans but live among us in Worthing. His mate's sister (with offending car kit) was driving in Portsmouth and was told to "Get out of our city" while having the roof of her car thumped. It all runs very deep and makes our Palace "hatred" look a bit tame. On the same subject, the Liverpool/Manchester rivalry can also be traced back to "docks" issues in that the building of the Manchester Ship Canal meant that goods bound for Manchester could circumvent the Port of Liverpool, resulting in loss of jobs for Merseyside dockers. So, yes, it's surprising how dock issues and the work and rights of dockers have impacted on some present-day football rivalries. As for West Ham and Millwall, I must admit to no knowledge at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some sort of docks dispute lurking in the background. And you'll be relieved to know I 'm not going start on Newcastle and Sunderland and their ship-building problems!!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The cities detest each other but are you sure about the dock strike story? Some local historians say it is an urban myth.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
A few years back I worked in Chichester where virtually all my colleagues were Pompey fans. I remember reading about the Pompey-Saints thing while on a break and I suppose it must have been in the Pompey News, as this was the staple reading material of my colleagues. The article concerned stated that the strike-breakers were from Southampton and that the origin of the Scummers tag was their own name for themselves - Southampton Company Union Men (SCUM). As an outsider to all this I was always amazed at the level of animosity between the fans; not just rivalry on the pitch but an inter-city dislike with deep roots. One guy I worked with would not even tolerate the use of the very word "Southampton". A visiting delivery man who had a Southampton car kit on his rear-view mirror had always delivered to the West of S'ton and was staggered at the reaction he got from ordinary people as he drove through Pompey to Chi for the first time. His van was banged on at a set of lights and there were numerous V-signs and Wanker signs as he drove along. My son has a mate whose family are Southampton fans but live among us in Worthing. His mate's sister (with offending car kit) was driving in Portsmouth and was told to "Get out of our city" while having the roof of her car thumped. It all runs very deep and makes our Palace "hatred" look a bit tame. On the same subject, the Liverpool/Manchester rivalry can also be traced back to "docks" issues in that the building of the Manchester Ship Canal meant that goods bound for Manchester could circumvent the Port of Liverpool, resulting in loss of jobs for Merseyside dockers. So, yes, it's surprising how dock issues and the work and rights of dockers have impacted on some present-day football rivalries. As for West Ham and Millwall, I must admit to no knowledge at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to find some sort of docks dispute lurking in the background. And you'll be relieved to know I 'm not going start on Newcastle and Sunderland and their ship-building problems!!

Very interesting, thanks. I will have to do some reading and see what it's all about.
I used to work on a building site with a mackem and one day so!enew plummets turned up and one was wearing a Newcastle shirt. Truthfully within two minutes we were having to pull them apart, it was then I decided that football rivalry is okay but some people take it to far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here