Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Souf london identity??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

What an absolute pile of horseshit

:lolol: thank you for your insightful commentary. fact is most of it was a series of villages and small towns until end of 1800's and as recently as 1965 everything south of Lambeth borough wasnt part of London. most people down that way are from other parts of the country and world.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:lolol: thank you for your insightful commentary. fact is most of it was a series of villages and small towns until end of 1800's and as recently as 1965 everything south of Lambeth borough wasnt part of London. most people down that way are from other parts of the country and world.
You said everything south of Brixton , which includes streatham/tooting/Colliers wood/balham/parts of clapham/South Wimbledon/herne hill/tulse hill/norwood/norbury /dulwich , I could go on , whilst there is a high proportion of immigrants ,to say that most people"down that way" are from other parts of the country or lack a collective identity I.E south London, reveals an astonishing ignorance of the places and people, or as I more concisely said earlier , an absolute pile of horseshit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it was a flippant comment, and im surprised you of all people are arguing about the idea that that part of London has "identity", not to mention arguing in support of a up palace fan. the idea that there is anything common between the denizens of Wimbledon, Tooting, Norwood and Dulwich is odd either way, they are mini-towns in their outlook down there. and Croydon is the worst for this, cf city status bids.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
it was a flippant comment, and im surprised you of all people are arguing about the idea that that part of London has "identity", not to mention arguing in support of a up palace fan. the idea that there is anything common between the denizens of Wimbledon, Tooting, Norwood and Dulwich is odd either way, they are mini-towns in their outlook down there. and Croydon is the worst for this, cf city status bids.
A flippant comment that was total horseshit, I was born and bred in tooting , and with your comments you again, reveal yourself as clueless, and you know youre on shaky ground by trying to play the 'palace' card :lolol:

Feb 14, 2010
chelsea are not south London and never have been , though a large proportion of their support is from south London , and like it or not , selhurst park is not in the suburbs , it's in south London proper .

Nor is Millwall. Millwall is on the Island as I pointed out, even tho' they moved to New Cross then Bermondsey. I was just pointing out that inner south east london, within the south circular is Millwall. Palace start appearing down in Dulwhich and down to Crystal Palace and Beckenham. Then its down to Croydon. Palace is and always was a suburban club, reflecting why they were in the Surrey FA. Crystal Palace itself was built to be a smart suburb to compliment the exhibition, jt's zone miles away and the wrong side of the river bordering on Bromley / Croydon. However it is starting to be opened up and with the nice big houses, green area and the extension of the overground its fast becoming a very rising place to live with prices going through the roof. They had been kept down because of transport (which is why north of the river is bigger than south of the river). Crystal Palace is a real property hot spot and its because its a nice area with emerging transport lnks which previously had let it down. Croydon also is a relatively recent part of London, its really a town like Watford added onto London. As for South central, places like Southwark, Elephant and around to Battersea / south west then as you say that is Chelsea with some Fulham and Brentford heading even further west. But gritty, it never was. Shoreditch, Bermondsey, Elephant, Hackney, the Island (Canary Wharf) were gritty but even they have / are changed changing.

Feb 14, 2010
Possibly. But I guess it depends where the support comes from as opposed to literally where the club is located. The areas which are referenced in the doc are Mansion House and Canning Town. And the band make a point of saying West Ham was over a mil away. Are these cockney locations in your mind?

I was talking about the support. West Ham is an East London (except they share the docklands, Wapping, Shadwell with Millwall and places like Bethnal Green with Arsenal). I'm just pointing out that the press created West Ham being THE cockney club but actually, some Millwall fans (altough they have the Islander identity), even Chelsea fans from Southwark and lots of Arsenal fans from just north / East of the City are equally cockney as they will have been as close to St Mary Le Bow. Its a lazy press stereotype that West Ham are cockney but Arsenal are North London. Its just not true, Arsenal is much closer to St Mary Le Bow than west ham ever is or ever has been.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nor is Millwall. Millwall is on the Island as I pointed out, even tho' they moved to New Cross then Bermondsey. I was just pointing out that inner south east london, within the south circular is Millwall. Palace start appearing down in Dulwhich and down to Crystal Palace and Beckenham. Then its down to Croydon. Palace is and always was a suburban club, reflecting why they were in the Surrey FA. Crystal Palace itself was built to be a smart suburb to compliment the exhibition, jt's zone miles away and the wrong side of the river bordering on Bromley / Croydon. However it is starting to be opened up and with the nice big houses, green area and the extension of the overground its fast becoming a very rising place to live with prices going through the roof. They had been kept down because of transport (which is why north of the river is bigger than south of the river). Crystal Palace is a real property hot spot and its because its a nice area with emerging transport lnks which previously had let it down. Croydon also is a relatively recent part of London, its really a town like Watford added onto London. As for South central, places like Southwark, Elephant and around to Battersea / south west then as you say that is Chelsea with some Fulham and Brentford heading even further west. But gritty, it never was. Shoreditch, Bermondsey, Elephant, Hackney, the Island (Canary Wharf) were gritty but even they have / are changed changing.
Battersea has never been 'gritty' is that what youre saying ? Are you also applying this to tooting/streatham/balham/norwood etc ? And Millwall the area is on the island yes, and they still draw some support from there and stepney/wapping but its a south london club, no question.

Feb 14, 2010
Battersea has never been 'gritty' is that what youre saying ? Are you also applying this to tooting/streatham/balham/norwood etc ? And Millwall the area is on the island yes, and they still draw some support from there and stepney/wapping but its a south london club, no question.

No. Battersea was gritty if you go back to the 60s ./ 70s. I'm saying Crystal Palace is not and be never was gritty, its a nice suburb and was built to be a nice suburb. As for Thornton Heath, then its not a great area but nothing like a Bermondsey of old. Every club has areas, I wont name Brighton's to save offence, but all you have to do is look at property prices. Palace are not a gritty club, and unlike some London clubs, never were.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No. Battersea was gritty if you go back to the 60s ./ 70s. I'm saying Crystal Palace is not and be never was gritty, its a nice suburb and was built to be a nice suburb. As for Thornton Heath, then its not a great area but nothing like a Bermondsey of old. Every club has areas, I wont name Brighton's to save offence, but all you have to do is look at property prices. Palace are not a gritty club, and unlike some London clubs, never were.
I'll take you to parts of battersea that are still 'gritty' now mate , and I don't understand what you're trying to say about palace , crystal palace the club aren't in crystal palace the area , whilst neither are hellholes , by the same token , I don't think either selhurst , or crystal palace the area could be described as nice suburbs , that is certainly the case for selhurst.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

You are so wrong, but to arrogant to see it. Crystal a nice suburb? Battersea :bla::bla::bla:
You do realise that some areas have more than one part don't you?

Feb 14, 2010
You are so wrong, but to arrogant to see it. Crystal a nice suburb? Battersea :bla::bla::bla:
You do realise that some areas have more than one part don't you?

Lol, I expect I have lived in more areas of London than you, and still do live in proper London. How about you, that inner city of er Coulsdon South lol

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Lol, I expect I have lived in more areas of London than you, and still do live in proper London. How about you, that inner city of er Coulsdon South lol
Much as I am reluctant to side with Palace, you're very wrong, he is a born and bred londoner , which you're not , so he knows London in a way you won't, you come across as being an expert on London from the Evening Standard property guide, and he's from Lewisham, which is very different from Coulsdon south

Feb 14, 2010
Much as I am reluctant to side with Palace, you're very wrong, he is a born and bred londoner , which you're not , so he knows London in a way you won't, you come across as being an expert on London from the Evening Standard property guide, and he's from Lewisham, which is very different from Coulsdon south

Read what I have said and say what is wrong. As for knowing London, I've lived in East, South inner, south outer, south west and central for the last what, 25 years plus. I have seen London changed and its my home thanks very much. To describe crystal palace as a gritty inner city club is as amusing as it gets.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

Sorry I cannot even take you seriously, the fact you believe that crystal palace is a nice suburb shows you to be a bit of a nob. I once lived in Addiscombe for six months and that's the closest to Croydon I have lived. The Brighton supporter, who does not watch them and now wants to tell me about the place I have been born and raised. Have it your way soppy bollocks

Feb 14, 2010
Sorry I cannot even take you seriously, the fact you believe that crystal palace is a nice suburb shows you to be a bit of a nob. I once lived in Addiscombe for six months and that's the closest to Croydon I have lived. The Brighton supporter, who does not watch them and now wants to tell me about the place I have been born and raised in. Have it your way soppy bollocks

Have you been to CP Park, the restaurants, the park itself the nice tree lined houses. There is a reason why, now the overground is there and is getting transport that its going through the t=rrof. To describe it as an inner city is crazy. Palace are suburban club, and always have been. I take it that Ive iived in more areas of London than you then.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Read what I have said and say what is wrong. As for knowing London, I've lived in East, South inner, south outer, south west and central for the last what, 25 years plus. I have seen London changed and its my home thanks very much. To describe crystal palace as a gritty inner city club is as amusing as it gets.
I dont think anybody has described them as a gritty inner city club , they draw a lot of suppor from the bromleys and coulsdons etc, but the selhurst park is in a relatively 'gritty' area , no its not peckham, but its not whyteleaf either.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Have you been to CP Park, the restaurants, the park itself the nice tree lined houses. There is a reason why, now the overground is there and is getting transport that its going through the t=rrof. To describe it as an inner city is crazy. Palace are suburban club, and always have been. I take it that Ive iived in more areas of London than you then.

Have I been to crystal palace park. Hmmm let me think? I used to live in crystal palace park road so yeah.
Have you lived in more areas of London than me, maybe? More areas of south London? Not a chance in hell

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I dont think anybody has described them as a gritty inner city club , they draw a lot of suppor from the bromleys and coulsdons etc, but the selhurst park is in a relatively 'gritty' area , no its not peckham, but its not whyteleaf either.

We are not a gritty inner London club, we have never tried to be gritty. We are in London though, but I'm not having that argument with him as I couldn't give am monkeys what he thinks.
But the areas around Selhurst are gritty, or as I call them shiteholes.

Out of interest wcp what area of London do you live in, just the area. I don't what your address or anything.

Feb 14, 2010
Have I been to crystal palace park. Hmmm let me think? I used to live in crystal palace park road so yeah.
Have you lived in more areas of London than me, maybe? More areas of south London? Not a chance in hell

well south london areas, inner south london is 2, and outer south another 2, plus west south. know it very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here