Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something needs to be done about Referees in this League

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's clutching at straws but watching the highlights of last night, our penalty should have been retaken as their defender was miles inside the box when it was taken and that same defender then cleared the ball to stop any of ours players getting to the rebound.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
What I find frustrating is the lack of transparency in dealing with referees who are not up to it. If players play poorly and get dropped it is in the public domain but the football authorities treatment of referees is clouded in secrecy unless it is high profile as in the Clatttenburg case. We all know they are assessed but does anyone know about the outcomes for the minority who do not meet the required standard. I know D'Urso lost his premier league status but is anyone aware of any other refs who have been sacked because someone actually concluded they were not good enough.

Keith Stroud, Uriah Rennie, Stuart Attwell among others. All were demoted from the Select group for poor marks.(sorry didn't read the question correctly) These three weren't sacked just demoted. I Used to be a referee on the Wessex lge in Hampshire up till last season. The Fa procedure isn't to actually sack poor referees as they could be taken to court under unfair dismissal all they do is demote a poor referee a level or two which usually has the effect of unmotivating the individual who generally decides to quit.

Last edited:

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
What I find frustrating is the lack of transparency in dealing with referees who are not up to it. If players play poorly and get dropped it is in the public domain but the football authorities treatment of referees is clouded in secrecy unless it is high profile as in the Clatttenburg case. We all know they are assessed but does anyone know about the outcomes for the minority who do not meet the required standard. I know D'Urso lost his premier league status but is anyone aware of any other refs who have been sacked because someone actually concluded they were not good enough.

Keith Stroud, Uriah Rennie, Stuart Attwell among others. All were demoted from the Select group for poor marks.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Referees should be fully professional and should permanently work in teams so they can develop an understanding and consistency between each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here