Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something needs to be done about Referees in this League

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, and when that happens it's fair. But it hasn't actually happened that often this season. We've had a lot of decent referees, at least at home, who have been unfairly slaughtered when the haven't made bad decision, or at least none that cost us the game.

I beg to differ.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
He gave a pen that shouldn't have been, and bottled giving a red that should have been.

The fact that each side got 1 penalty each does not mean the ref had a good game you plonker.

Keep your personal insults to yourself! I am happy to debate the merits of the Ref with you, but I will not take being called a plonker, and will simply report you rather than take another ban for retaliation.

My point is that too many Brighton fans are too quick to jump on the Poyet bandwagon of using the Ref as an excuse every time results don't go our way, rather than look at the level of our players' performance.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Keep your personal insults to yourself! I am happy to debate the merits of the Ref with you, but I will not take being called a plonker, and will simply report you rather than take another ban for retaliation.

My point is that too many Brighton fans are too quick to jump on the Poyet bandwagon of using the Ref as an excuse every time results don't go our way, rather than look at the level of our players' performance.

You never fail to make me laugh. Taking the moral high ground because I called you a plonker? That makes you even more of a plonker you plonker.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Reported.

Let's see if the mods deal with it like they say they will when banning me for retaliation?

I would hazard a guess that you were not banned for using the word "plonker".

I would also hazard a guess that nor will I be.

Grow up.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
It seems to me that if you stuck 4 fans from the crowd out there as Officials, they would do a better job.

Too many mistakes, too much bottling it.

It's not on IMO.

:angry:

Seeing as I am refereeing, I'll tell you what I tell all the managers and captains before each game I ref:

"Gentleman, I am here to referee therefore I would like to ask to let me ref, you play football. Don't criticise my decisions as I do not criticise your performances or your tactics."

Referee's do a hard job, arguably costing them the game but the players all had their chance to make sure that change does not happen and score/pass/shoot/cross/tackle at the right time.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Seeing as I am refereeing, I'll tell you what I tell all the managers and captains before each game I ref:

"Gentleman, I am here to referee therefore I would like to ask to let me ref, you play football. Don't criticise my decisions as I do not criticise your performances or your tactics."

Referee's do a hard job, arguably costing them the game but the players all had their chance to make sure that change does not happen and score/pass/shoot/cross/tackle at the right time.

Players get dropped when they perform badly. It's about time some of these referring mistakes led to some consequences too.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Presumably you'd like to criticise the referee for failing to award Barnsley an obvious first half penalty when Upson was all over one of their strikers in the box.

No team has ever got promoted or relegated on the back of a refereeing decision, despite what certain managers like to believe. We may have disagreed with their penalty (haven't seem a replay myself: it was up the other end of the ground from us so I haven't a clue what happened) but we had 89 other minutes in that game to have done something about it, and we didn't.

Every single player on our team- perhaps Kuszczak excluded- made more mistakes than that referee did tonight, yet oddly I'm not seeing demands for them to be binned, or relegated, or whatever. We weren't good enough tonight. That's our fault, not any official's. Move on.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Something needs to be done about brighton fans and this incessant attacking of referees, even when they have good games (which has happened so often this season I've lost count).

Absolutely THIS! I'm so sick of it from Brighton fans. Anything that doesn't go our way and the ref is straight away a ****, ****** and god knows what else. They make mistakes, they all do. Ref tonight was decent got the majority of decisions right and there was no bias at all, you can't really ask for much more. Brighton fans idea of a good ref would be one who was massively biased in our favour and even then im sure many of them would find something to attack them viciously for. It's a bloody tough and unrewarding job that many in this division do a good job of most of the time, get off their backs.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Players get dropped when they perform badly. It's about time some of these referring mistakes led to some consequences too.

You mean like the one where Upson rugby tackled his man to floor in the box? And they didn't get a penalty for it? I assume that's what you're talking about?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know refereeing is a hard job but they get paid pretty well for it so should put up with the stick in my opinion. When I see some of the decisions I make I really do get the impression that a lot of the referees at this level don't actually understand the game particular well which is quite frustrating when you've payed a lot of money to see another game ruined by a clueless and often arrogant official.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You mean like the one where Upson rugby tackled his man to floor in the box? And they didn't get a penalty for it? I assume that's what you're talking about?

I want the ref to get things right, if that was a pen and it was as obvious as you suggest, then yes that is what I am talking about.

It's not about decisions going against us specifically, but if the refs in this league are making frequent blatant mistakes, they will cost us as much as anyone else.

This season, in this league, far too many mistakes by refs have ruined far too many games imo.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know refereeing is a hard job but they get paid pretty well for it so should put up with the stick in my opinion. When I see some of the decisions I make I really do get the impression that a lot of the referees at this level don't actually understand the game particular well which is quite frustrating when you've payed a lot of money to see another game ruined by a clueless and often arrogant official.

This should of course say the decisions they make not I make!

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Absolutely THIS! I'm so sick of it from Brighton fans. Anything that doesn't go our way and the ref is straight away a ****, ****** and god knows what else. They make mistakes, they all do. Ref tonight was decent got the majority of decisions right and there was no bias at all, you can't really ask for much more. Brighton fans idea of a good ref would be one who was massively biased in our favour and even then im sure many of them would find something to attack them viciously for. It's a bloody tough and unrewarding job that many in this division do a good job of most of the time, get off their backs.

Albion fans are as biased against any referee as every other team in the division. Especially when a decision goes against us.It's human nature

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Presumably you'd like to criticise the referee for failing to award Barnsley an obvious first half penalty when Upson was all over one of their strikers in the box.

No team has ever got promoted or relegated on the back of a refereeing decision, despite what certain managers like to believe. We may have disagreed with their penalty (haven't seem a replay myself: it was up the other end of the ground from us so I haven't a clue what happened) but we had 89 other minutes in that game to have done something about it, and we didn't.

Every single player on our team- perhaps Kuszczak excluded- made more mistakes than that referee did tonight, yet oddly I'm not seeing demands for them to be binned, or relegated, or whatever. We weren't good enough tonight. That's our fault, not any official's. Move on.

Me being very annoyed at the ref does not mean I give the players a pass. But the fact that our players did not perform well, does not make it Ok that the Ref didn't perform well. Players get dropped. Who is going to drop the ref next week? Nobody. And yes, I am defending Barnsley's right to a penalty as much as anything. Because it is in all our interests that refs get things right. Saying "well the ref made a mistake that benefited me, so it's O.k." is not good enough.

When referees are poor, and for me this season they have been very poor, everybody suffers. We have enough to worry about with whether we will miss a sitter or concede a howler, without having to worry that the ref is going to make ridiculous decisions too.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Blame the refs all you like but the fact is that we do not take our chances when they come along, largely due to setting the team up too defensively game after game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Me being very annoyed at the ref does not mean I give the players a pass. But the fact that our players did not perform well, does not make it Ok that the Ref didn't perform well. Players get dropped. Who is going to drop the ref next week? Nobody. And yes, I am defending Barnsley's right to a penalty as much as anything. Because it is in all our interests that refs get things right. Saying "well the ref made a mistake that benefited me, so it's O.k." is not good enough.

When referees are poor, and for me this season they have been very poor, everybody suffers. We have enough to worry about with whether we will miss a sitter or concede a howler, without having to worry that the ref is going to make ridiculous decisions too.

Look at all our games this season. Look at all those games where our strikers have come away having missed multiple chances. Were they dropped after each game that occurred in? No. Kuszczak made an mistake v Birmingham costing us points, was he dropped? No. Upson needlessly conceded a freekick v Blackburn which led to the corner they scored from, was he dropped? No. Bruno conceded a penalty v Leeds costing us points, was he dropped? No. Was Greer dropped after his own goal v Burnley, when he conceded a penalty v palace, or when he screwed his shot over the crossbar v Charlton? No. Hammond barged a well placed Greer out of the way to head his shot over the bar v Derby, he left the post the momet a corner was taken leaving the space for blackburn to score, and played a terrible backpass that required a good save by kuszczak, was he dropped after those incidents? No. El Abd conceded a penalty v blackburn, lost his man for goals v arsenal and blackburn, was he dropped? No. Crofts conceded a penalty v Barnsley, was he dropped? No. Bridcutt lost the ball in midfield leading to a goal for Arsenal, was he dropped? No.

Players don't get dropped for a mistake, or the odd bad performance. They get dropped for tactical reasons, injuries, suspensions, tiredness, and a string of bad performances and bad training. We allow players to have off days before just dropping them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here