Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March's miracle penalty

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Frustrated fans look for a scapegoat! Never mind that Solly score the winning goal against Wigan to get us promoted to the PL, or scored a superb free kick at Millwall to get us into a penalty shootout to go to Wembley.
Solly, my favourite player.
And immune from criticism from his Gran.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I get that but he’s not doing it on purpose, he’s not immune from criticism either, it’s just he seems to get much more attention than others for his mistakes. I just feel a bit bad that he gets so much stick.
Yes I would say he probably does get more stick than most, probably unduly, end of the day though his mistakes happen in the final third with his finishing, so those are always going to attract more attention because missed chances are what people will often look to when asking themselves why a certain result doesn't go our way.

I think it's good and really important that we have a local lad(s) playing in the team, as I think it's an extra level of connection to the fanbase, an extra reason to cheer them on. Not only do they play for our team, they're also truly 'one of us'. It's just that people are much more likely to see a missed chance as consequential as opposed to, say, dunk's poor backpass last night which nearly resulted in charlton scoring but ultimately didn't.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can't give Solly grief for the penalty as shit happens. He knows he should have done better. It really shouldn't have gone to penalties.

He needs a screamer and soon, and no mistake.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't give Solly grief for the penalty as shit happens. He knows he should have done better. It really shouldn't have gone to penalties.

He needs a screamer and soon, and no mistake.
Does he have one in his locker though?

Yes, yes he does.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Letting him take a penalty... ok, someone needs to do it tbf.

…Only rational explanation I can think of is that RDZ might have thought "lets make the bloke a hero to boost his confidence"... which is not a bad thought in itself but it sort of backfired in that case.
or Solly might have said ‘let me take a penalty so I can boost my confidence’ and RDZ might have thought “Ok, let’s put him on fifth and he may not need to take one’!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Like others I looked on in horror as Solly walked to take the penalty after the first two had missed. Don’t get me wrong I love Solly but thought WTF! When the inevitable happened I was resigned and thought who let that happen. Later, thinking about it, I thought Solly must have balls of steel to step up like that, in the form he is in, so fair play to him. He gave it a go and didn’t hide.

Yes, fanboy here!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst find it hard to understand how a penalty can go so far over as Kane showed penalties are missed. However his miss from such close range on his left foot was inexcusable from a pro footballer.
He is a very good player when we are defending but think Lampty should be given a run at home when we are attacking more

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I actually kind of admire him for taking one. He probably knows he’s not the best at scoring or pens, yet he stepped up and took one, the last one as well which has a lot of pressure on it.

I put more blame on the likes of Trossard, Caicedo etc who are more than capable of taking a decent pen and didn’t. I don’t really want to say blame though, they all just looked a bit rusty and off the pace, I think the break has done that to a few teams.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether Solly needs some out-of-the-box intervention like hypnotherapy or exorcism. Either he has a mental block that prevents him from aiming properly or he is cursed or possessed. Almost everything else about his game is positive and improving except his finishing. Even when an effort on goal ends up in the net (v Leicester) it goes down as an own goal, which is why I lean towards the curse explanation.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Can't help thinking that Solly is victim of the same as Maupay, like nearly every one else in the squad.

Letting an expert in emotional intelligence mess with their heads.

They all overthink it now and end up bottling it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether Solly needs some out-of-the-box intervention like hypnotherapy or exorcism. Either he has a mental block that prevents him from aiming properly or he is cursed or possessed. Almost everything else about his game is positive and improving except his finishing. Even when an effort on goal ends up in the net (v Leicester) it goes down as an own goal, which is why I lean towards the curse explanation.
I’m not sure if this is serious or not, that Leicester goal he headed it back towards the centre of goal when it needed nodding in the corner. Did the same at Brentford keeper couldn’t believe his luck with the goal gapping, if the ball needs to go across the keeper he will plant it straight at the keeper. No curse or black cat involved it’s a lack of quality issue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I actually kind of admire him for taking one. He probably knows he’s not the best at scoring or pens, yet he stepped up and took one, the last one as well which has a lot of pressure on it.

I put more blame on the likes of Trossard, Caicedo etc who are more than capable of taking a decent pen and didn’t. I don’t really want to say blame though, they all just looked a bit rusty and off the pace, I think the break has done that to a few teams.
Caicedo took the last penalty, not March.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People castigate Solly for missing from the spot, (admittedly it was a horrible penalty), but he was far from the only culprit, with Gross, Trossard, and Caicedo also failing to score.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

People castigate Solly for missing from the spot, (admittedly it was a horrible penalty), but he was far from the only culprit, with Gross, Trossard, and Caicedo also failing to score.

Bit harsh on Caicedo, at least his was on target!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here