Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March's miracle penalty

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Solly is basically another Craig Noone. Loads of good work and endeavour up to and around the box. But as soon as he sees the whites of the woodwork he folds faster than Superman on laundry day, and randomly spanners it literally ANYWHERE but on target. I fear he couldn't hit the side of the Ark Royal if he was chained to it at Southampton docks.

Nice bloke by all accounts. But about as clinical as Fred West with a bonesaw.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Letting him take a penalty... ok, someone needs to do it tbf.

But the fifth which is very often the one that could either get you through or knocked out... When a player has some self-confidence issues in front of goal, I just think it is a very poor decision to make him take a penalty with that amount of pressure. Only rational explanation I can think of is that RDZ might have thought "lets make the bloke a hero to boost his confidence"... which is not a bad thought in itself but it sort of backfired in that case.
My memory tells me that Solly (like Dunk) has got a pretty good record in penalty shoot outs. He certainly scored against Millwall. So, he may have been given it on the basis of his past record, combined with his willingness to take one.
Someone (you are one of the likeliest) will be able to dig out stats on players' records in penalty shoot-outs.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
My memory tells me that Solly (like Dunk) has got a pretty good record in penalty shoot outs. He certainly scored against Millwall. So, he may have been given it on the basis of his past record, combined with his willingness to take one.
Someone (you are one of the likeliest) will be able to dig out stats on players' records in penalty shoot-outs.
up until last night he had 3/3 career penalties. which is a good record, but a ridiculously small sample size.

regardless of the numbers, though, he's obviously in the midst of a confidence crisis, so still the wrong call imo

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Frustrated fans look for a scapegoat! Never mind that Solly score the winning goal against Wigan to get us promoted to the PL, or scored a superb free kick at Millwall to get us into a penalty shootout to go to Wembley.
Solly, my favourite player.
I sometimes wonder whether some ‘supporters’ dislike home grown players. They prefer the glamour of big money signings so they can show off about transfer fees and wages to their big club supporting mates down the pub. Solly is my favourite player as well. It’s an absolute privilege watching his development over the years into the player he is now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I sometimes wonder whether some ‘supporters’ dislike home grown players. They prefer the glamour of big money signings so they can show off about transfer fees and wages to their big club supporting mates down the pub. Solly is my favourite player as well. It’s an absolute privilege watching his development over the years into the player he is now.
We don’t have any glamour big money signings :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Frustrated fans look for a scapegoat! Never mind that Solly score the winning goal against Wigan to get us promoted to the PL, or scored a superb free kick at Millwall to get us into a penalty shootout to go to Wembley.
Solly, my favourite player.
That was a long time ago don’t see the progression myself as an attacking player. Alright at wing back you really need to contribute some goals playing across the front.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not unusual...

People always want new and fancy toys. If Solly March was playing identically to how he has been playing this season, but was a summer signing-Bolivian named Humberto Balazuega, everyone would love him - goals or no goals.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well said, it appears that it ALWAYS has to be someone’s fault when we lose a game. I’m not sure why a long serving, local lad gets the brunt of it especially as he’s a really talented footballer.

Some of the comments on here are pretty hurtful.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Well said, it appears that it ALWAYS has to be someone’s fault when we lose a game. I’m not sure why a long serving, local lad gets the brunt of it especially as he’s a really talented footballer.

Some of the comments on here are pretty hurtful.
To be fair last night he missed an absolute sitter from 8 yards out on his favoured foot with the goal at his mercy (the opportunity was made be his own brilliant footwork) and then skied the penalty that would have taken us through to the next round. So , it is only natural he is taking the brunt of it.
Steele failed to save two of the penalties that would have also seen us through but he also saved three .

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Absolutely right. Let’s have some balance here. Solly scored in the penalty shootout at Millwall in the FA Cup Quarter Final at Millwall. The pressure on him was much, much greater that day. It was a Quarter final in a more prestigious competition and the atmosphere there was raucous!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair last night he missed an absolute sitter from 8 yards out on his favoured foot with the goal at his mercy (the opportunity was made be his own brilliant footwork) and then skied the penalty that would have taken us through to the next round. So , it is only natural he is taking the brunt of it.
Steele failed to save two of the penalties that would have also seen us through but he also saved three .
But also if our first and second choice penalty takers had of scored it would never have got to 5th choice!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
But also if our first and second choice penalty takers had of scored it would never have got to 5th choice!
Correct but if Solly had buried that golden opportunity it wouldn't have gone to penalties !

Sometimes it's good to have a moan - hopefully he doesn't read NSC

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Not unusual...

People always want new and fancy toys. If Solly March was playing identically to how he has been playing this season, but was a summer signing-Bolivian named Humberto Balazuega, everyone would love him - goals or no goals.
honestly I don't think so, look at some of the other players scapegoated over the years such as Bong, Schelotto, Maupay, so i dont think its necessaryily a homegrown thing, at least not for most people. obviously being a new signing buys you a bit of time, but if they were finishing like Solly has been (regardless of how great he's been in other areas), people would definitely be demanding that they're shipped out

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wouldn't it be funny if he scored on Boxing day, found his shooting mo-jo and went through a purple patch. . . . Can DiZerbi get it out of him.

o_O:smokin:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I get that but he’s not doing it on purpose, he’s not immune from criticism either, it’s just he seems to get much more attention than others for his mistakes. I just feel a bit bad that he gets so much stick.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I always thought the best move to who takes penalties is whoever steps forward, perhaps Solly did and others didn't?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here