Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like Solly March because I think he is very good at football and I imagine that he has got a nice willy and I love the seagulls and they won today and that is good and I am happy about that. Come on the seagulls. Hooray.

Are you on drugs? Can I have some?

:lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With March back, we have an unbelievable choice of wingers. March and Knockaert on either wing will cause Premiership clubs major problems.

Just think how good we're going to be when King Kayal gets back? Things have never looked better for us, what an exciting period to be an Albion fan.

True. It's brilliant. Think you're underestimating the Premier League a bit though.... Knockaert and March have the potential to do okay but at that level I'm not convinced they'd be anything really, really special. Not yet anyway. Be nice to find out though.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
True. It's brilliant. Think you're underestimating the Premier League a bit though.... Knockaert and March have the potential to do okay but at that level I'm not convinced they'd be anything really, really special. Not yet anyway. Be nice to find out though.
Well first thing to say is that I am a huge fan of Solly. Seem to remember that Knocky kept Mehmet(sp) out of the Leicester team. I am fairly confident that those two will rip up the Premier League but we probably won't be Champions in our first season but after that? Who knows!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Warren Aspinall said something interesting (no, he really did) - that Bong got forward more once March came on because he doesn't trust Skalak not to lose the ball if he goes ahead of him.

He might also have pointed out that a left-footed winger on that side was more likely to have delivered that cross for the equaliser than Skalak, notwithstanding his assist against Norwich.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Thought Solly was terrific yesterday. Direct, quick and skillful and seemed to put the fear of god up the Birmingham defenders. I've a feeling that if he keeps free of injuries he could go on to be an immense player for us.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Warren Aspinall said something interesting (no, he really did) - that Bong got forward more once March came on because he doesn't trust Skalak not to lose the ball if he goes ahead of him.

He might also have pointed out that a left-footed winger on that side was more likely to have delivered that cross for the equaliser than Skalak, notwithstanding his assists against Norwich.
Edited for you
But it also helped the Brum sat back on their 1-0 lead and invited us to push up more.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's been out for 12 months, let's give him some more minutes of the bench, before starting him. It's not as if we are light in this area.

The thought of him and Knockeart on each wing though is an appetising one.

I don't get this thinking. We were dire against Cardiff, we struggled to kill off Leeds and we were one-nil down last night with 20 minutes to go. Hughton himself has confirmed all of this. Glenn Murray can't keep getting us out of jail and to some extent he's been papering over the cracks in attack. We need March's creativity and ability to beat his full-back.

What ever happened to starting players and subbing them at half-time if they needed rest?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

He might also have pointed out that a left-footed winger on that side was more likely to have delivered that cross for the equaliser than Skalak, notwithstanding his assist against Norwich.

Personally think it's because we were 1-0 down. Also Skalak has the tendency to check back inside meaning Bong is less likely to get the ball.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don't get this thinking. We were dire against Cardiff, we struggled to kill off Leeds and we were one-nil down last night with 20 minutes to go. Hughton himself has confirmed all of this. Glenn Murray can't keep getting us out of jail and to some extent he's been papering over the cracks in attack. We need March's creativity and ability to beat his full-back.

What ever happened to starting players and subbing them at half-time if they needed rest?

It's a fair point. I just feel there is no point in rushing him back and he's more effective against tiring full backs when the game opens up.

We are so well served out wide, let's preserve him and make sure his still fit for the run in.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
With March on the pitch I think it also frees up AK a lot more and we can stretch the games both side of the pitch. I like Skalak but he will 9 times in 10 come inside. March on the left will result in the opposite of him going outside his man, and with AK his skill means he can go inside or outside. Makes it harder to double up on our wingers

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a fair point. I just feel there is no point in rushing him back and he's more effective against tiring full backs when the game opens up.

We are so well served out wide, let's preserve him and make sure his still fit for the run in.

Clinton Morrison was saying last night it is the busy Christmas period that can make or break your season. Indeed, this is exactly what happened to us last year. I don't think we can take ANY chances, so to minimise risk you put out the best XI you can, and that includes Solly - despite a bad injury his desire to get to the dead-ball line last night was exceptional.

I accept the defenders were tiring but I still rate his football brain and I just think he has more in his locker than Murphy and Skalak, both of whom are good players.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
March was brilliant yesterday. Looked like his pre injury form although it was just 30 minutes so no guarantees he would have as much impact from the start. However, I think I'd give him a start in one of the two home games over Christmas and see how he does. If he does well, then start him at Fulham and rest him for the cup. If he struggles, he can go back to the bench for the Fulham game and be given another start against MK. We mustn't expect too much of him due to yesterday but it was very promising.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Clinton Morrison was saying last night it is the busy Christmas period that can make or break your season. Indeed, this is exactly what happened to us last year. I don't think we can take ANY chances, so to minimise risk you put out the best XI you can, and that includes Solly - despite a bad injury his desire to get to the dead-ball line last night was exceptional.

I accept the defenders were tiring but I still rate his football brain and I just think he has more in his locker than Murphy and Skalak, both of whom are good players.

What they missed with that, probably because they didn't know it, is the injuries we had this time last year (Calde playing at left back, only two wide options etc) and the fact our bad run had already started. At this stage we were already three games into our seven game run without a win. We're already up on that. Last season is not massively relevant to me, although that's not to say we'll have a good Christmas.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I don't think any team in the division,could deal with SM and AK,when in form,why should Newcastle finish first if that form could be maintained....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What they missed with that, probably because they didn't know it, is the injuries we had this time last year (Calde playing at left back, only two wide options etc) and the fact our bad run had already started. At this stage we were already three games into our seven game run without a win. We're already up on that. Last season is not massively relevant to me, although that's not to say we'll have a good Christmas.

There were plenty on yesterday's Brum thread pointing to our dodgy December last season. We have to play with positivity through this period and the more time March spends on the pitch the more likely that is.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There were plenty on yesterday's Brum thread pointing to our dodgy December last season. We have to play with positivity through this period and the more time March spends on the pitch the more likely that is.

I agree but we do have other options on the wing and we need to not push him too much too early. As I said originally, I would start him in one of the two home games and see how he does. It may be that impact sub might be the best for him at the moment but, if so, what an impact sub to have!

I was at the game so didn't see the matchday thread yesterday but, if people were pointing to our dodgy December last year when we were behind in one match, then they are being ridiculous. Even if we'd lost it was one match and last season's run was largely down to injuries.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
March was excellent yesterday, no one can doubt that, and looked very hungry. His link up work with Bong, in particular, was thrilling.

As for the next match it's a tough one, on the one hand there's Chris Hughton, whe sees March in training every day, had been monitoring his comeback from a very unpleasant injury for the last twelve months, and is a UEFA Pro qualified coach. On the other hand there's a bunch of blokes on the internet.

I'm not sure who I should put my faith in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here