Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March - sings new contract June 2024

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have said it hundreds of times on here.

The problem with Solly is that he hasn't become the player we wanted him to become.
He is constantly measured against our expectations from 7 years ago.

Instead he has developed into a consistently good premier league, utility player and not the flair winger we saw in the championship.
Maybe his injury has changed that potential, or maybe it was our promotion and Hughton's subsequent need for players to be more defensive,

Either way he is a valuable member of our premier league squad.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Solly has not fulfilled his potential yet. Still time. Hope he gets there but this season is pivotal. He’s got to improve his crossing and beat a man more. Be great to see him rip the mick out of defenders like he did in the Champ.

The problem is we've been saying it's a pivotal season where he needs to show his potential for about half a decade now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He also receives little credit for scoring the goal that got us promoted.

Local lad scores the goal that takes us to the Premier league for the first time.
Some story.
Rarely gets a mention ( apart from by me. on these threads)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem is we've been saying it's a pivotal season where he needs to show his potential for about half a decade now.

The fans who expect more are the problem, not the player. Build him up and shoot him down.
Two experienced managers have played him regularly and that’s good enough for me.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Solly has been and still is a very solid, reliable squad member. Very flexible which is no doubt appealing and works well for Potter. Tactically sound, great attitude and a good pro.

So he’s worth keeping in my opinion.

Not every player in your club needs to be a star player. Supporting squad roles are very important.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Don't forget, though, that he had a bad injury (ruptured ACL) in 2015 ....

That was the exact moment he went from young, nippy, unpredictable and exciting.... to a bang average squad player without a defined portfolio or the ability to push on. He gets shrugged off the ball too easily, he rarely challenges for a header, and barely ever takes a man on successfully He hasn't been the same since the injury.

Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
It's a confidence thing with Solly. Often observed him when he hasn't got the ball. From throw ins for instance he tends to seek out an opposition player to avoid getting the ball rather than finding a little bit of space to be an option. The talent is undoubtedly there he just needs to believe in himself. Also l agree with a previous poster who says he gets shrugged off the ball to easily. He needs to push on this season, toughen up, believe in his ability and gain the confidence to be a 90 minute player rather than a 45 minute one. If he can do that then he'll be a regular starter, but if not he'll just become a squad player or impact player at best.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That was the exact moment he went from young, nippy, unpredictable and exciting.... to a bang average squad player without a defined portfolio or the ability to push on. He gets shrugged off the ball too easily, he rarely challenges for a header, and barely ever takes a man on successfully He hasn't been the same since the injury.

Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is the most often quoted untruth about Solly.
It certainly was a weakness about 3 or 4 seasons ago and people who made their mind up about him back then, still trot it out as a fact.

The club worked with him to bulk him up and improve his strength.
No longer an issue at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the most often quoted untruth about Solly.
It certainly was a weakness about 3 or 4 seasons ago and people who made their mind up about him back then, still trot it out as a fact.

The club worked with him to bulk him up and improve his strength.
No longer an issue at all.

I was one who levelled that at him but it was 100% not a problem last season before he got injured. A potential player of the season before his injury

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone who still believes the old Lightweight/can't defend/no end product tropes. take 7 minutes out of your day to educate yourself properly.

Can't wait to see him back in action.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Doesn't get the plaudits of Tariq, but every bit as important to the back 5. Maybe not quite as exciting going forward but better defensively giving us balance.

So pleased to see him back :clap:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So good to see him back. He was playing the best football of his life just before he got injured.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So happy to seem him back, as good a news as Lamptey's return. Running Biss close for my POTS before his injury and absolutely crucial to the way we play with three at the back.

I'm far more excited about watching him and Lamptey back on the wings than any potential new signing, they're game changers for us.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thanks for posting that highlights reel , I took 2 things from that .

1. We failed to put away 12 good chances from the 23 crosses .

2. Reece James hates Solly March :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So happy to seem him back, as good a news as Lamptey's return. Running Biss close for my POTS before his injury and absolutely crucial to the way we play with three at the back.

I'm far more excited about watching him and Lamptey back on the wings than any potential new signing, they're game changers for us.

Totally with you on this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here