Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March - sings new contract June 2024

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Solly March

Amazing. Well done Solly. A 1st team regular and essential cog in Potter’s machine. Long may he stay.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They may say that, but surely it’s negotiation at the end of the day. Lose the player for a smaller sum with a year to go or sign a new contract with a heavy release clause.
It's the policy. I don't believe billionaire Tony wants to give away control and Barber is a tough negotiator as we have seen.

I think Tony simply will not sanction signing up to release clauses, and would rather walk away from the deal ( Livramento ? ??? ).

They simply cannot state "no release clauses" and then put them in the odd contract here or there. The policy would collapse.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's the policy. I don't believe billionaire Tony wants to give away control and Barber is a tough negotiator as we have seen.

I think Tony simply will not sanction signing up to release clauses, and would rather walk away from the deal ( Livramento ? ??? ).

They simply cannot state "no release clauses" and then put them in the odd contract here or there. The policy would collapse.

That’s fair, but you could still have a ridiculous clause. I get what you’re saying but in terms of policy, but renegotiation of an existing asset, is slightly different and I don’t get why you’d take the financial hit.

But then equally I’m not a successful businessman and billionaire 😃

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Amazes me how many players that are nearing an exit yet Graham finds a way, and pulls them back.

Gross, March and now recently Duffy have all been rumoured to leave and now been better than ever!

I guess he has to make the most of what he’s got seeing as the club can’t find new signings for him that fit with our financial standing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully he can now afford a proper jumper, than one is shitehouse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I doubt anyone on here will know but I wonder if our new contacts now include a release fee for the players? It wasn’t long ago that Solly said his ambition was to play for a big club, so I assume he has somehow kept that option open?

I read ( pretty certain in The Athletic ) that the club do not entertain release clauses in contracts as they give away control.

We don't do them.

They may say that, but surely it’s negotiation at the end of the day. Lose the player for a smaller sum with a year to go or sign a new contract with a heavy release clause.

Does it really matter though... if he had a release fee it would surely be close to the clubs valuation of the player, and if say Real Madrid comes along waving £40m surely the club would say "ok you can go, boy" with or without a release fee in his contract.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Does it really matter though... if he had a release fee it would surely be close to the clubs valuation of the player, and if say Real Madrid comes along waving £40m surely the club would say "ok you can go, boy" with or without a release fee in his contract.

If Real Madrid had £50m Tony would want to check it was real money given their finances!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Model Pro, he's suffered some nasty injuries and simply got his head down and worked hard everytime to get back into the squad, you never hear anything much about him in the media apart from the usual 7 in the player ratings column.

The team is a better one with Solly in it, well deserved and under Potter looks to be improving his all round game still.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Raises the question: How many other PL clubs have TWO locally-born first-teamers?

3? Dunk, Webster, March

This is great news though - although does seem to be 1 year light to me? But good news all the same

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Depends how much the release fee is. If you put a silly sum the club might get more. Look at Neymar, when PSG triggered the clause, there was no way I would have paid that for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here