Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March "ready to snub a new contract offer"

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Correct Coldeanseagull.

Fred Oliver is a typical troll. Makes one very controversial and nasty post, doesn't post again, but watches for the replies. Ignore him or in internet parlance, don't feed the troll.

I just want to know who his dealer is.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bit of an odd one with Solly. He's clearly got a lot of talent but very often he still makes the wrong decision. In my opinion spending a season competing with someone like Knockaert will benefit him massively.

Can't see him leaving for two reasons:

1. He's probably not looking to actually leave;
2. He's probably not quite worth the price we'd be asking.

I remember the not to distant past when Kaz got the ball we all stood up excited. That seems to have tailed off. Knocky gets us off our seats and watching him up close and personal yesterday, I am falling in love with the bloke. Solly was getting us out of our seats last season. I won't be able to sit down when we have Solly and Knocky marauding down opposite wings!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But surely they will steer towards a particular deal if it benefits themselves greatly. The agent overseeing any possible Pogba deal at the moment stands to trouser £10,000,000. The more they get for their client the more they get themselves.

Absolutely, but Pogba (March) isn't going to be strong armed into singing a contract with a club he doesn't want to play for.

There's all manner of unknown permutations as to how this 'news' story appeared, agent, family, friends, other club, the player, thin air etc.
But I think we can be fairly certain, all of the options that involve March will involve March's permission.

My initial point still stands:-

bad news = blame agent.
Good news = congratulate player and/or club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would we be offering a new contract to a young player, who still has two years left on his existing one, especially when he hasn't played for over six months due to a bad injury?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We got caught out letting Tommy Elphick go cheaply after a serious injury I am sure that we wont make the same mistake with Solly and with 2 yrs left on his contract we have time to watch and see how he overcomes the injury before making a decision.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
March is clearly a very talented player of that there is no doubt however for me it's all about priorities and who we can and cannot afford to sell.

Stockdale, Dunk and Kayal for example are players we cannot afford to sell due to the fact we have no direct replacements of the same or similar quality. Whilst March is arguably up there with Knocky as our best winger, Skalak is not far behind him in my opinion and we have further decent options in Murphy and to a lesser extent Kazenga.

If we can get £5-7 million for Solly and we use that money to put towards the fee and wages of a quality striker I for one would be happy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
March is clearly a very talented player of that there is no doubt however for me it's all about priorities and who we can and cannot afford to sell.

Stockdale, Dunk and Kayal for example are players we cannot afford to sell due to the fact we have no direct replacements of the same or similar quality. Whilst March is arguably up there with Knocky as our best winger, Skalak is not far behind him in my opinion and we have further decent options in Murphy and to a lesser extent Kazenga.

If we can get £5-7 million for Solly and we use that money to put towards the fee and wages of a quality striker I for one would be happy.

Beram Kayal is still the steal of the century. He oozes Prem quality and goes under the radar thank God. All the gossip is about Stephens moving, but if I had to choose I'd have Kayal every day. If we keep this bunch of lads together, we really will go places, they know each other inside out. This really is the best squad I have ever seen, and that includes 77/78 and 78/79.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Beram Kayal is still the steal of the century. He oozes Prem quality and goes under the radar thank God. All the gossip is about Stephens moving, but if I had to choose I'd have Kayal every day. If we keep this bunch of lads together, we really will go places, they know each other inside out. This really is the best squad I have ever seen, and that includes 77/78 and 78/79.

I can envisage this season somehow without Stephens,who if memory serves was routine before injury,without playing alongside Kayal...
Agree with the whole post...

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Excellent news, hasn't got the quality needed to even clean the boots of knocky and skalak, Only ever played TWO good games for us, would let him go for free if it ment getting him off the wage bill. No place for dead wood here anymore if we are serious about going up. All the same can be said for JFC aswell.

:ffsparr:???:ohmy::rotlf:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I think a couple of years ago you looked at the squad and Lua Lua on paper at least looked to be the only one who could get people up out of their seats.

We are two and a bit transfer windows down the line and that is not the case any more. There are a handful who can do it; however, you can't fill your team with flair players. You need a good mix and a good balance of different styles of players. Not jut for a 90 minute match but to allow you to adapt to different opposition.

That's why I don't bother when players get linked with a move away from the club. I always know that there is the potential to find equally as good if not better out there who could replace them. Take Knockeart for example. He is loved and admired by Brighton fans - The Leicester fans felt the same about him but they let him go and look what happened to them ''post Knockeart''.

The key is to never get too attached to players. Young kids do that with their idols but adults should always be able to at least try and envisage progression without their idols. I am hoping that Brighton go up this year and I love to see Jamie Murphy at the club but I am under no illusions that he would need to improve or leave if we reach the Premiership.

To some Lua Lua is a cult hero at Brighton but from what I have seen in the last 12 months, the other players seem to have surpassed him. This is a defining few months for him. He either improves or he won't keep pace with the level of players being recruited.

I love the look of the current squad but I am also desperate for it to get better as well.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
True or not - we're going to see Prem clubs with ridiculous money offering wages we can't possibly compete with to sign players who are likely only ever to be prospects and then "never made it" has-beens on the off chance that they might come good.

This money has finally completely skewed football. Such a shame.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can envisage this season somehow without Stephens,who if memory serves was routine before injury,without playing alongside Kayal...
Agree with the whole post...

We use Sidwell if Stephens goes, I don't see a drop in class there. But losing Kayal would be a real punch in the stomach.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The key is to never get too attached to players. Young kids do that with their idols but adults should always be able to at least try and envisage progression without their idols.

We use Sidwell if Stephens goes, I don't see a drop in class there. But losing Kayal would be a real punch in the stomach.

I have,as i have aged,accepted that NO player,no matter how good,is to be kept forever or against their will/unhappy,all that has changed with Kayal...I am too old for "punches" to the stomach but [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] is spot on...... still i know we will recover if he does get sold......just happy to accept 9th position this season if that;s the case

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To some Lua Lua is a cult hero at Brighton but from what I have seen in the last 12 months, the other players seem to have surpassed him. This is a defining few months for him. He either improves or he won't keep pace with the level of players being recruited.

I love the look of the current squad but I am also desperate for it to get better as well.

Very true

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have,as i have aged,accepted that NO player,no matter how good,is to be kept forever or against their will/unhappy,all that has changed with Kayal...I am too old for "punches" to the stomach but @Sussex Nomad is spot on...... still i know we will recover if he does get sold......just happy to accept 9th position this season if that;s the case

I don't think it will happen, it is just a scenario, as I said, he seems to go under the radar. For me he would perfectly fit into any top Prem side but he gets passed by. When we do make the Prem, top clubs will wonder why they missed him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't think it will happen, it is just a scenario, as I said, he seems to go under the radar. For me he would perfectly fit into any top Prem side but he gets passed by. When we do make the Prem, top clubs will wonder why they missed him.

Let's hope that's the case and to be fair it almost will be the case..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the whole thread but I think we have had a reputation of starting pretty low on the contract offers so it is quite feasible that he has turned down the club's opening gambit? I have read that Kayal and Stephens can't agree contracts, this is much more of a worry to me at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here