Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My choice for player of the season at this point
I suspect it will go to Mitoma, but I 100% agree that Solly should be a serious contender, alongside Caicedo and Estupiñan.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Right coach, right team mates, right frame of mind, confidence and belief. I don’t think it’s a transformation as such, his all round game and contribution has always been good, he’s just hit 28, peak physical and mental ability for a footballer, and now he believes he’s going to score when he gets a chance. Long may it continue.
Was just about to say the same - he hasn't actually changed that much, he has always been a quality player for us, he's just struggled for confidence infront of goal. RDZ has unlocked that now and we're seeing the player that he always had the potential to be.

He has many great attributes for a winger (first touch, ball control, crossing ability, pace, etc), but the thing that stands out is his tactical awareness and intelligence. Often wingers can be a bit of a loose cannon and need to be left to do their own thing, but Solly plays the game plan perfectly. He always has, which is why every manager he's been under has loved him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suspect it will go to Mitoma, but I 100% agree that Solly should be a serious contender, alongside Caicedo and Estupiñan.
Aye I thought about Mitoma on the other wing …but have Solly edging it on (My own)sentimental grounds ..what with him being a ‘local’ lad

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I remember how proud I was seeing Bobby play for the U21s, that brief England appearance, that spell of players like Harding and Hinsh being around the U21s set up, then Solly, then Dunk running out against the Yanks.
But March playing for the senior team would top the lot. Fingers crossed. If Southgate sticks to his form commitment Solly is arguably first name on the teamsheet ATM.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I remember how proud I was seeing Bobby play for the U21s, that brief England appearance, that spell of players like Harding and Hinsh being around the U21s set up, then Solly, then Dunk running out against the Yanks.
But March playing for the senior team would top the lot. Fingers crossed. If Southgate sticks to his form commitment Solly is arguably first name on the teamsheet ATM.
Form commitment. hahahahahahahahaha

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Solly did use to get picked by Southgate for the U21s and seemed quite a favourite for a while. He is not likely to be picked, we all know that. Watching last night I thought not just him but England could do with those two CBs of ours. Playing together for a while now. McGuire not playing, Stones playing at RB when he does get a game but we all know where this is going don’t we.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There are two main reasons for Solly’s form in my view. (I’ve never subscribed to the issue being belief)

1) He’s in the correct position. Potter wasted him at left wing back for years. Here he’s high up the pitch, able to stretch the play knowing he’s got Veltman behind him should things break down, which means he’s now free to try stuff.

2) He’s got options. We’re getting more players forward much more quickly now. Solly is now looking up and seeing actual choices. Before it was sling it in to Maupay or turn backwards. He’s a sensible bloke. He turned backwards

The reason I don’t think it’s to do with belief is because Solly is such a pragmatic player. Under Potter what would have been the point in trying to take on your man? Either you beat him and the next defender in the low block will get you, (or even if you get a cross in, the defence is formed) or you don’t and you’re exposed on the counter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Player of the season is a crapshoot these days. I mean you pick one and feel bad that you didn't pick one of about 4 others.

Dunk
March
Mitoma
Caicedo
Estupiñan

With honourable mentions to Groß, Veltman, and Colwill. Oh and I won't be voting for Ale Mac because he already won second prize in December.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Outstanding season from our Solly. Last night’s goal rather epitomised where’s he’s at for me: total belief in himself, no hesitation, great technique and - boom - goal. Up until this season he always looked like he questioned himself, especially when just about to shoot…you could kind of see him asking himself “should I?”. None of those self-doubts now. Seemingly a lovely bloke too, v happy for him. Expect Southgate will now pick Ashley Young and some other clogger over him though.
Absolutely...his technique to get ready to shoot was brilliant, a quick hop and adjustment, intuitive, terrific 👍👍

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
For the love of god please don't let Southgate get his hands on March for a week, after 2 non starts sat on the bench listerning to how raheem does his hair with recyclable lakky bands and never uses shaving gel, he'll come back as a inverted right back with the confidence of a goat in a lions cage, Solly, if he rings you up just block the gormless loser.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We still have more than a third of the season to play so loads of players still could make a dash for the prize.

But on evidence so far I’m going

1) March

2) Mitoma

3) Gross

4) Caicedo

5)Estupinan

Caicedo 4th? How is Caicedo only 4th ?!?!?!?!?!?! Pull yourself together Cybergoat. But I can make equal cases for the others.

And there are others close behind. Dunky I feel like I now take his excellence for granted. Several young players have come in and also been excellent. There is still loads of football to be played. There’s always recency bias with these things, it could still go to about 9 players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are two main reasons for Solly’s form in my view. (I’ve never subscribed to the issue being belief)

1) He’s in the correct position. Potter wasted him at left wing back for years. Here he’s high up the pitch, able to stretch the play knowing he’s got Veltman behind him should things break down, which means he’s now free to try stuff.

2) He’s got options. We’re getting more players forward much more quickly now. Solly is now looking up and seeing actual choices. Before it was sling it in to Maupay or turn backwards. He’s a sensible bloke. He turned backwards

The reason I don’t think it’s to do with belief is because Solly is such a pragmatic player. Under Potter what would have been the point in trying to take on your man? Either you beat him and the next defender in the low block will get you, (or even if you get a cross in, the defence is formed) or you don’t and you’re exposed on the counter.
Point 1 is very important. Good players need a partner, who bring out the best in each other.
Bruno & Knockaert, Ward and Mellor, Dunk & Duffy, Owen and Barnes J. etc
There's an understanding, almost a telepathy and we can see it developing nicely with March/Veltman and Mitoma/Estupinan.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not seen it mentioned anywhere but there was a moment early in the second half where he beat his man and played a beautifully weighted pass across the box. The slightest touch by one of ours would have led to a certain goal. Sadly there was nobody there to accept the gift

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not seen it mentioned anywhere but there was a moment early in the second half where he beat his man and played a beautifully weighted pass across the box. The slightest touch by one of ours would have led to a certain goal. Sadly there was nobody there to accept the gift
And how he went the long way round the so called next big thing CB to beat him to the ball to slot it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here