Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think March has been our most consistent attacking player under RDZ. Decent again last night and if we had anyone with goalscoring nous would have an assist from a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box he put through the defender’s legs. When the creative stuff isn’t coming off, knuckles down too. Trossard has been all but anonymous since Anfield - may as well have taken him off at half-time last night - and yet he’s supposedly going to Chelsea/Atletico Madrid while Solly gets all the flak…

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think March has been our most consistent attacking player under RDZ. Decent again last night and if we had anyone with goalscoring nous would have an assist from a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box he put through the defender’s legs. When the creative stuff isn’t coming off, knuckles down too. Trossard has been all but anonymous since Anfield - may as well have taken him off at half-time last night - and yet he’s supposedly going to Chelsea/Atletico Madrid while Solly gets all the flak…
Spot on.

Trossard just looks like he’s going through the motions.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Solly worked his socks off last night . Excellent play except of course, often the final pass or shot was disappointing. But that was true of them all.
You know, it has been the same for years and years watching Brighton, players come and go, so do managers but The Albion remains the same , albeit now in the Prem.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Spot on.

Trossard just looks like he’s going through the motions.
Since Trossard started selling himself to any top club out there, he's absolutely vanished again. He's a fantastic player, just woefully inconsistent.

As for March, it's difficult to have an end product if nobody takes ANY risks in the six yard box. One cut across in the 1st half was perfect but our midfield stopped running for some reason, and one in the second when Welbeck was nowhere to be seen.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Since Trossard started selling himself to any top club out there, he's absolutely vanished again. He's a fantastic player, just woefully inconsistent.

As for March, it's difficult to have an end product if nobody takes ANY risks in the six yard box. One cut across in the 1st half was perfect but our midfield stopped running for some reason, and one in the second when Welbeck was nowhere to be seen.
Yup, 2nd half Tross was absent, he does have these patches before he pops up bright and sparky again.

I too thought March was our best player yesterday, and blame our forward players for not getting on the end of anything provided. There were some good deliveries in there, but nobody fighting to get in a position to take advantage of them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
March played well tonight, not the problem. A lack of urgency to move the ball forwards quickly by everybody else was more the issue and the crowd getting more and more vocal about it as the match went on. I for one am not going to get on RDZ’s back, he needs time and I’m not even going to open Hypia mk2 thread 🤦🏻‍♂️
Agree about the lack of tempo but to suggest that Solly played well is wrong. No one did. It was a shabby, frustrating performance. Welbeck and Trossard were passengers. Gross awful again. General levels have dropped alarmingly since Anfield. Playing like this, we will not get a win before the WC break. We sell our only proven PL finisher to Everton and his replacement ( Undav ) is getting no game time. Welbeck makes Emile Heskey look like Erling Haaland.

papachris

Solly gets a fair bit of stick on nsc but he has been our most consistent player this season. He is desperately unlucky not to score yet this season as he has had so many chances. But you won't see him give up and not try, he leaves everything on the pitch every time. Maybe it's because he is albion through and through, like the fans, that he cares so much

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Solly puts a free kick in the danger zone in the first half. Not one Albion player attempts to get on the end of it and it floats out. It made Solly look bad but it wasn’t his fault. This happens a lot.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Solly worked his socks off last night . Excellent play except of course, often the final pass or shot was disappointing. But that was true of them all.
You know, it has been the same for years and years watching Brighton, players come and go, so do managers but The Albion remains the same , albeit now in the Prem.
I had a lot of sympathy for Solly last night. Constantly in space and regularly starting a run only not to be given the ball. Having worked the ball to the right wing we'd than take it back to the middle of the pitch .... and often lose it. Lamptey suffered the same fate when he came on but slightly less so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All of this, excellent post.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
We are significantly poorer when Solly isn't in the team. Fact is, there were 2/3 passes that Solly played tonight that either resulted in a heavy touch or just genuinely poor anticipation.

Yes, he hasn't had the best of time in front of goal. But ask yourself, why is our left wing back taking our most shots? It is because he gets himself into these positions. Take Solly out the team and I bet we have less shots and less chances created.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree about the lack of tempo but to suggest that Solly played well is wrong. No one did. It was a shabby, frustrating performance. Welbeck and Trossard were passengers. Gross awful again. General levels have dropped alarmingly since Anfield. Playing like this, we will not get a win before the WC break. We sell our only proven PL finisher to Everton and his replacement ( Undav ) is getting no game time. Welbeck makes Emile Heskey look like Erling Haaland.
It wasn't poor, 70% possession, 19 shots with 7 on target with the opposition only having 3 off target shots all game is not poor. Doesn't mean it's great either, but as we've experienced for a good 3 years now, decent performances don't translate to results unless you score a goal. Some really good chances last night, Trossard, Veltman, Gross, Dunk, March, Welbeck, all snatching or lacking composure - if you only judge performance on that then I'd agree with you, but as said, the performance was decent, taking chances wasn't.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I judge performances on the performance, not the result. Our performance last night was nowhere near shabby but, granted, it was frustrating. We're used to frustrating performances where we dominate possession, and carve out numerous presentable chances which, all too often, we fail to put away. Last night's performance and result was predicted by many of the more astute on here. And, no, performance levels haven't dropped alarmingly since Anfield.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was conflicted. So many times, particularly in that first half, he was out wide, space to run into behind their defence and Veltman would look his way, then turn away and pass it across the pitch. I was itching for him to just play it to March while he's in such a great position.

But then everytime he got the ball I wondered what the point was because he kept making the wrong choice with it, trying to take on a man rather than pull it back, or crossing to where none of our players were etc.
This,

I mentioned this trait of Veltmans on the match thread yesterday, plenty of opportunities in the first half to play in March but just kept recycling and playing backwards

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm not a big fan.

Defensively he's pretty sound, but going forward I don't get the buzz or sense of anticipation that I feel I should. So much potential I feel, but we are desperate for some end product all around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here