Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solanke

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Gyökeres could absolutely play the Murray role. Now taller than Glenn, and hasn't had the chance to be Potterised.

I can see the benefit of paying a fee for a new striker, but to pay a fee for Solanke when we have Gyökeres on the books doesn't have much appeal for me.

No.

The trouble is, we need a Glenn replacement now, (i.e. someone who is going to score goals for the first team on a regular basis), not a player who may be able to do it in a couple of seasons time.

Gyokores is not the answer, yet anyway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No.

The trouble is, we need a Glenn replacement now, (i.e. someone who is going to score goals for the first team on a regular basis), not a player who may be able to do it in a couple of seasons time.

Gyokores is not the answer, yet anyway.
My point is that Solanke is no more the answer than Gyökeres and why pay a fee when we already have Viktor ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My point is that Solanke is no more the answer than Gyökeres and why pay a fee when we already have Viktor ?

totally agree on that front, Potter will need to take a look at Gyokeres before he shells out big money, unless he already knows hi splans for Gyokeres etc

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Maybe do a ‘Mooy’ take him on season long loan with option to buy. There is a talented player there who has not yet delivered but there is potential for him to be ‘Pottered’ into a better player.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Gyökeres looked nowhere near good enough in his few appearances for us, admittedly a while ago.
Maybe he’s improved, although he didn’t pull up any trees in the German second division.
I cant see much evidence to suggest he is what we need in the Premier League atm.

As for Solanke. He has looked the part post lockdown. I wouldn’t be adverse to a season loan.
That transfer model works well with relegated teams - Mooy being a good example.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think he's a good player and would be pleased if we did sign him. It was obvious his confidence had gone for large parts of the season but once he scored, he looked much better.

Potter could be the ideal manager for him to work on his confidence. Look at Connolly, in the middle of the season he was clearly struggling but Potter stuck with him, helped him and he came back after the restart looking like he did at the beginning of the season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What we do know about Gyokeres is that he forms a good partnership with Connolly.

My instinct is to not buy Solanke or any other striker you could term as a speculative investment in potential, as Gyokeres. If we find someone who is more than this and would clearly add to our matchday squad or starting XI straight away, get them in.

If we can't, give a squad place to Gyokeres (not sure if he needs one due to his age or not) and see what he can do.

The other moving part in this is Andone. The club will consider ... When will he be fit? Can he and should be rehabilitated into the squad? ... but I understand there's a thread for that

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just the type of waif and stray that Potter used to build his Ostersund team. But still a big risk.

Callum Wilson would be my preference.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Solanke could be anything at this point and is rumoured to be on big wages too. A loan with an option to buy for a set fee would be interesting, but a big fee and a 5 year contract on high wages could be an expensive millstone. He undoubtedly has talent but does he have the application and drive?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Apparently he was knocking off one of the other player’s wives, and his colleague used to watch whilst cracking one off into a Kleenex as DS did some BDSM with his missus.

Solanke Spanky Hanky Panky Wanky

That’s manky.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My head says absolutely no way, but there's that sneaky thought that we could be the beneficiaries of his late discovery of form. In fact, he could hit the ground running for us and score loads of goals, which would be hilarious in view of his struggles at Dean Court. Dan Ashworth will have some thoughts on that, no doubt.

Michael Robinson was seen as a failure at Man City but prospered with us. Could Solanke be the same?

No, probably not.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Just the type of waif and stray that Potter used to build his Ostersund team. But still a big risk.

Callum Wilson would be my preference.

Wilson would also be my preference. But he’ll go to Spurs and probably earn more money than he does now. So unfortunately those aren’t the waters we’re fishing in. When it comes to strikers we’re trying to find an Ings/Maupay, and avoid the Hallers/Joelintons/Bentekes. It’s a less precise science for clubs outside the elite

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
My head says absolutely no way, but there's that sneaky thought that we could be the beneficiaries of his late discovery of form. In fact, he could hit the ground running for us and score loads of goals, which would be hilarious in view of his struggles at Dean Court. Dan Ashworth will have some thoughts on that, no doubt.

Michael Robinson was seen as a failure at Man City but prospered with us. Could Solanke be the same?

No, probably not.

Or, he stays down there and scores 25 goals next season. Then how much is he worth?
It's all fantastically speculative though.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
I sincerely hope not, much better options out there. Suspect Bournemouth will want to recoup a fair bit of that £19m (?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here