Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So - what is the true first game at the Amex?

So - what is the true first game at the Amex?

• Total voters

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
never a finer word spoken

Any one thats saying Spurs or Donny is only saying that as someone else has already said they couldn't be arsed to go to the SSCF.
I was really surprised that the full allocation of tickets wasn't sold for the SSCF after 14 years of Brighton being "homeless" you would have bet your last penny there would have been a riot to get tickets if not just to see inside the ground and get a feel for
it or especially to say goodbye to Albion Legend Gary Hart !!!
There is only one first game at any stadium and Brighton had their's that day, as we did at Withdean V Forest.

I could have gone to theSSCF but chose not to. The first time I experience falmer I want it to be as magical as possible. I felt entering the stadium before Donny would take away from the emotion of the day.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I could have gone to theSSCF but chose not to. The first time I experience falmer I want it to be as magical as possible. I felt entering the stadium before Donny would take away from the emotion of the day.

100% agree. I have held of going up to the Amex since my season ticket presentation. For me I want my first experience to be an all singing all dancing 100% sell out with a great atmosphere. It has taken some amount of doing though!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The stadium was 'broken in' by the SCCF, which, no matter how you dress it up with bollox about Spurs or Doncaster, WAS the first game at the stadium (I didn't pay five pounds for the souvenir programme for nothing you know!!). The first goal was scored by Gary Hart, first bums on seats for a competitive match and first half time beers/pies consumed, Bloom, Knight, Perry all in attendance, first chanting between the North and West stands "Can you hear the West Stand sing?" etc.

The acid test: When the trivia question is asked "Who scored the first goal at Brighton's Falmer stadium?" 'Gary Hart' will be the correct answer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Any one thats saying Spurs or Donny is only saying that as someone else has already said they couldn't be arsed to go to the SSCF.
I was really surprised that the full allocation of tickets wasn't sold for the SSCF after 14 years of Brighton being "homeless" you would have bet your last penny there would have been a riot to get tickets if not just to see inside the ground and get a feel for it or especially to say goodbye to Albion Legend Gary Hart !!!
There is only one first game at any stadium and Brighton had their's that day, as we did at Withdean V Forest.
Well I went to the SSCF - and I still voted for Donny as the first 'real' game! The SSCF was undoubtedly the first game played there, no one can deny that, and perhaps the poll question is a bit misleading. Think of it more as a 'technical rehearsal' with the Spurs game as the full dress rehearsal, prior to the the 'opening night' on August 6th.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
the first game at the AMEX is the first one you atend, therefore for me its the Spurs friendly

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I thought something similar once, but I ended up going to the SSCF and I've got a ticket for the Spurs game. I'm quite glad I've done this as I'll be able to concentrate on events on the pitch more at the Donny game instead of looking at the rest of the ground etc.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Well I went to the SSCF - and I still voted for Donny as the first 'real' game!

Whether the SSCF or Donny, one thing's for sure - the first true game (whatever that means) sure isn't going to be a meaningless friendly against Spurs!

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
This. The only people who say otherewise are those who couldn't be arsed to go last week.

I am waiting for the Donny game. I didn't want to go to the SSC Final and I don't want to go to the Spurs game, not a case of "couldn't be arsed". These will be NOTHING compared to the Donny game! 267 hours to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Friendlies don't count. They are like theatrical "previews" as opposed to a "first night"

the SSC and Tottenham are the previews and Doncaster is the first night

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok, being a bit pedantic here, sorry - because it depends how you word the question.

You asked "So - what is the true first game at the Amex?"
There's really no arguement, it was the SSCF. The Amex is a stadium, that was a real game of football, with a refereer and everything.

But that's not what you meant by 'true' I guess.

I suppose for me, our first team playing their first competitive match is the first game that matters to a Brighton fan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We all choose what's right for us, so I obviously don't dispute what you decided for yourself. But! I will have been to the SSCF and Spurs, and there's no way it will take anything off the amazing emotion when it's a full house verses Donny.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The acid test: When the trivia question is asked "Who scored the first goal at Brighton's Falmer stadium?" 'Gary Hart' will be the correct answer.

exactly, who is going to expunge that from the records in order to pretend the Doncaster game is the first. but on such slight differences and inconsistancies i fear much of history is written.

cleckseagull

Apr 25, 2009
Got to be Donny- the other are ramp up events and don't really count! That having been said I am going to Spurs game- costing me a packet- leaving up North an all and having to get a season ticket!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
the first game at the AMEX is the first one you atend, therefore for me its the Spurs friendly

In that case you might as well say that the first game I saw at Falmer was the kick around in the car park after I had been to the season ticket presentation in January!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
exactly, who is going to expunge that from the records in order to pretend the Doncaster game is the first. but on such slight differences and inconsistancies i fear much of history is written.

errrr the team for the SSC Final was Brighton and Hove Albion RESERVES!

So far the first team has NOT played at Falmer

So the FIRST TRUE GAME (as in the title) will be Doncaster Rovers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here