Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So - what is the true first game at the Amex?

So - what is the true first game at the Amex?

• Total voters

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Some people seem to have differing opinions on this. So, in your view, what is the actual "first game" at the Amex?

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
O.K here we go...... i am going on saturday and really can't wait but i think when that whistle blows for the first time at the donny game the roof is going to lift off and it's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it. So for me the donny game :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It depends on your definition of 'first'. The 'first game' was obviously the Senior Cup final, but that wasn't technically a Brighton game. The 'first Albion game' will be the Spurs friendly, and the 'first real game' will be Donny. Historically I think Donny will be judged to be the 'first game'; after all most count Mansfield as the first game at Withdean, indeed I'd forgotten we'd played Forest in a pre-season friendly until I saw the report of Gary Hart saying he was pleased to score the first goal at the Amex as he'd scored the first goal at Withdean.

EDIT: And one could argue that the SSCF and Spurs games were simply ramp-up events and thus the stadium wasn't truly opened until the League season started on August 6th.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I went to the AMEX the other day, there was a match on. As I am aware that was definitely the first match at the AMEX. How can Spurs and Doncaster even be considered when we know they are after the SSC? Very odd poll.

It's a fact that the first match at the AMEX was the SSC.
The first Brighton match will be Spurs
The first league match will be Doncaster

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I went to the AMEX the other day, there was a match on. As I am aware that was definitely the first match at the AMEX. How can Spurs and Doncaster even be considered when we know they are after the SSC? Very odd poll.

This. The only people who say otherewise are those who couldn't be arsed to go last week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this. as much as many would like to have it otherwise, the first game at AMEX was SSC. fact.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
For me, it'll be Donny.

First game that means a big deal, and the first that the stadium has a safety certificate and is therefore a "proper" stadium.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Going by historical precedence, I've always considered Mansfield to be the first game at Withdean, rather than Forest.

Hence, I'll say Doncaster.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Agreed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The SSC / Spurs games are just little practice events for the Real Thing. Yes, a couple of games of football will have taken place, but the first real match at the Amex will be Donny.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Doncaster is the first proper game.

Mainly because that's the first time I'm going!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Any one thats saying Spurs or Donny is only saying that as someone else has already said they couldn't be arsed to go to the SSCF.
I was really surprised that the full allocation of tickets wasn't sold for the SSCF after 14 years of Brighton being "homeless" you would have bet your last penny there would have been a riot to get tickets if not just to see inside the ground and get a feel for it or especially to say goodbye to Albion Legend Gary Hart !!!
There is only one first game at any stadium and Brighton had their's that day, as we did at Withdean V Forest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here