Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So Tomorrow If Those Scousers Boo the National Anthem........

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
it's odd how many the same people who would abhor when some England fans boo other nation's anthems, then ok with booing ours this weekend.
Completely different things. Booing another country’s national anthem when you are an outsider and what that country’s national anthem is is nothing to do with you is very different from booing your own country’s national anthem. Regardless of the right and wrongs of each they are not comparable.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
One thing that confused me yesterday was the chant of ‘England’s number 1’ from the Scouse republicans to Picknose. Now surely if this whole anti-establishment ‘Scouse not English’ thing is to be taken seriously, they would want no part of the national set up and the national team. So had they sung ‘Merseyside’s number 1’ I could kind of got that.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I thought we all loved the freedom of expression our country affords? I am not a republican, and favour the monarchy's continuance, however if anyone chooses to sing, boo or remain indifferent it is their right in a free country. Unless I've got it wrong and we are free to express our views only if it coincides with an 'acceptable' paradigm.
Did you have the same view during the booing of the BLM knee?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Whether or not they choose to boo, monarchy has always been a divisive issue, the only thing we fought a civil war over. It has never had 100% support, and today is no different.

Merseyside may have a higher % of Irish immigrants and their descendants who would be even less pro-monarchy too, not quite the same argument as when Henry VIII pulled us away from Rome put there are certain parallels.

I still think the majority in this country would not want to be a republic, I have never seen a clear majority asking for that in any poll, but it is always a topic for discussion and should serve to keep the Royal family on their toes in terms of how they are perceived by the nation.

I personally strongly support the Royals and the current constitution, but respect that there are different opinions out there. The scousers think they are being ‘different’ with their booing etc but all they are really doing is what others have done centuries before them. Personally I am not a fan of Brexit but the greater good is served by respecting that outcome - we can at least say, whatever we like or don’t like about our constitutional arrangements, that we live in a country where we had 3 prime ministers and 2 monarchs within a very short space of time, and not a single shot was fired in anger. Many nations on this planet would love to be in that position.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think what I object to is the Tax free existence of the Monarchy almost as if they are non-doms! The income from the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall brings in about 40m per annum I believe. Why do they need the Civil List as well? They should pay tax on their earnings like the rest of us but that is probably asking too much. Like all rich people they always want more.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I think what I object to is the Tax free existence of the Monarchy almost as if they are non-doms! The income from the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall brings in about 40m per annum I believe. Why do they need the Civil List as well? They should pay tax on their earnings like the rest of us but that is probably asking too much. Like all rich people they always want more.
Which is an entirely reasonable perspective. The trouble is that the big discussions always seem to offer only binary solutions - Brexit in or out, Monarchy or Republic, Scottish independence or keep the Union, Labour or Tory, etc. Most of the time, the sensible and optimal solution lies in the grey bit in the middle but that never seems to be an option that’s ever put forward.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Did you have the same view during the booing of the BLM knee?
That is a good question. My personal feelings are less sympathetic towards the objections about talking the knee as I think those booing are more likely to be racially intolerant. However though I didn't boo, I was not in favour of the action at least in the long term as I believe it was in danger of becoming a meaningless ritual. Therefore I think people have the right to voice objections towards taking the knee, but wouldn't go that far myself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Civil List is now called the Sovereign Grant and it comes from the Crown Estates income to the Treasury. It is there to provide for staff, and the upkeep of the buildings.

Attachments

• Crown Estates.jpg
    Crown Estates.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 30

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely different things. Booing another country’s national anthem when you are an outsider and what that country’s national anthem is is nothing to do with you is very different from booing your own country’s national anthem. Regardless of the right and wrongs of each they are not comparable.
I learned something in the last 24 hours about Liverpool. I already knew about Thatcher, Hillsborough and the Sun, but this goes further back than that.

In 1911, there was a transport strike involving sailors, dockers, and railway men. Winston Churchill ordered HMS Antrim to sail up the Mersey, and to train her guns on the city.
85,000 people gathered to hear Tom Mann speak (who was coordinating the workers along with others) and starting to form trade unions. The police were sent in to baton charge them.
Many meetings were held on St. George's Plateau, next to St Georges Hall, on Lime St, including the rally on 13 August in which police carried out a baton charge a crowd of 85,000 people, who had gathered to hear Tom Mann speak. The event became known as "Bloody Sunday".

In the police charges and subsequent unrest that carried on through the following night, over 350 people were injured. 3,500 British troops had become stationed in the city. Two days later, soldiers of the 18th Hussars opened fire on a crowd on Vauxhall Road, injuring fifteen, two fatally: John Sutcliffe, a 19-year-old Catholic carter, was shot twice in the head, and Michael Prendergast, a 30-year-old Catholic docker, was shot twice in the chest. An inquest into their deaths later brought in a verdict of "justifiable homicide.

It makes the miners strikes in the 80s look like a tea party.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Heard these guys being interviewed in the week.

Prince William pottery, based in Liverpool. Wonder how that goes down on the mean streets there?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Heard these guys being interviewed in the week.

Prince William pottery, based in Liverpool. Wonder how that goes down on the mean streets there?

I think the mugs are the people buying these

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The Civil List is now called the Sovereign Grant and it comes from the Crown Estates income to the Treasury. It is there to provide for staff, and the upkeep of the buildings.
So they don’t even have to pay for the buildings they occupy? Or the people they employ? What do they spend the money on then, booze and fags?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I’m very anti royal, but didn’t feel it was right to boo. Instead I faced away from the pitch for the duration of the national anthem.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I’m very anti royal, but didn’t feel it was right to boo. Instead I faced away from the pitch for the duration of the national anthem.
I don't remember them booing at all. They very loudly sang their football song at the football match all the way through it. I wish our fans had done that rather than joining in with that bootlicking dirge.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
it's odd how many the same people who would abhor when some England fans boo other nation's anthems, then ok with booing ours this weekend.
Indeed. They say it’s not their King, not their anthem. They then boo it and show disrespect to people for whom it means something. Hypocrisy.
And for the record I would never boo any anthem and am indifferent to our own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here