Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So this 20mph speed limit around town how is it affecting you ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good post that will probably be ignored by the arrogant posters who flaunt road laws so a few seconds can be saved rushing to the next hold up at the next junction/traffic lights/roundabout.

This.

Arrogance is the word ... their little world is all that counts, no matter the dangers to others.
Seem some 'incredible' driving this morning already e.g. a Merc bombing along Withdean Road at way over the limit, driven by an old guy!!!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
So far I think I have seen one bus stick to it so they are obviously ignoring it as well. Yesterday the 25 from the Old Steine to Lewes Road did 30 the whole way as per usual.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can I just point out that 20 mph is the LIMIT and you should actually be doing less than that. This morning (Saturday) I had to pick up some stuff from a friend who lives in Hannover. It was too much to carry or put on the bus, so lazily and selfishly (as it is a well known fact that all journeys into and around Brighton can easily be made by walking, cycling or public transport and thus only the lazy and selfish choose to drive) I drove. Mindful of the speed limit I never got out of second gear or went above 15 mph, much to the annoyance I'm sure of all the lazy and selfish boy-racer petrolheads behind me who would have loved to have raced along at 22 or 23 mph. Can't be too careful, Health and Safety is paramount, if it saves one life, etc etc etc. The good news is by driving at a lower speed in a lower gear than I did when I made the same the journey a month ago I have also reduced my emissions, plus I accomplished the entire journey without mowing down hoards of pedestrians (although to be fair I also managed that last time as well).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can I just point out that 20 mph is the LIMIT and you should actually be doing less than that. This morning (Saturday) I had to pick up some stuff from a friend who lives in Hannover. It was too much to carry or put on the bus, so lazily and selfishly (as it is a well known fact that all journeys into and around Brighton can easily be made by walking, cycling or public transport and thus only the lazy and selfish choose to drive) I drove. Mindful of the speed limit I never got out of second gear or went above 15 mph, much to the annoyance I'm sure of all the lazy and selfish boy-racer petrolheads behind me who would have loved to have raced along at 22 or 23 mph. Can't be too careful, Health and Safety is paramount, if it saves one life, etc etc etc. The good news is by driving at a lower speed in a lower gear than I did when I made the same the journey a month ago I have also reduced my emissions, plus I accomplished the entire journey without mowing down hoards of pedestrians (although to be fair I also managed that last time as well).

That's really thoughtful of you. Great that you never one of those naughty drivers moving through residential roads between 30 and 40 in 1.5 ton projectile.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Under the green party the carbon foot print has virtually doubled since they took charge. Gone from 4.3 to 7.6 I think I read in the argus.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's really thoughtful of you. Great that you never one of those naughty drivers moving through residential roads between 30 and 40 in 1.5 ton projectile.
Exactly. Plus walking to the station in the morning I no longer have to pick my way round all the corpses littering Ditchling Road.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As an air quality consultant, I can say with some certainty that it's a bloody stupid idea. More people in Brighton WILL die as a result of the increased air pollution than will be saved by the reduced speed limit.

Well with that kind of evidence based scientific report how can anyone argue?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well with that kind of evidence based scientific report how can anyone argue?
Happy to go into great detail with regard to NOx concentrations and dispersion factors but I charge quite a high rate. I'm a member of the institute of air quality management and the institute of environmental science if that helps.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Happy to go into great detail with regard to NOx concentrations and dispersion factors but I charge quite a high rate. I'm a member of the institute of air quality management and the institute of environmental science if that helps.

not really

I would be interested in any evidence or studies you have carried out in this area though. If they are in the public domain of course.

Being a scientist I am sure you wouldn't expect someone to accept a position without the evidence to back it up.

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/news/20mph-roads-emissions.html

Transport and highways planners have little or no official guidance on the environmental impact of 20 mph speed limits.

Maybe you should be talking to these chaps and letting them know your conclusions.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure about the emmisions argument, these guys don't think it will make much difference.

German research indicates that traffic calming reduces idle times by 15 percent, gear changing by 12 percent, brake use by 14 percent, and gasoline use by 12 percent (Newman and Kenworthy 1992, 39–40). This slower and calmer style of driving reduces emissions, as demonstrated by an evaluation in Buxtehude, Germany. Table E-1 shows the relative change in emissions and fuel use when the speed limit is cut from 50 kph (31 mph) to 30 kph (19 mph) for two different driving styles. Even aggressive driving under the slower speed limit produces lower emissions (but higher fuel use) than under the higher speed limit, although calm driving produces greater reductions for most emissions and net fuel savings (Newman and Kenworthy 1992, 39 –40).

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9676&page=369

It would probably be worth taking into account that (as I understand it) this initiative is supposed to have a knock on effect of reducing the numbers of cars on the road which would obviously also reduce emissions

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
More people in Brighton WILL die as a result of the increased air pollution than will be saved by the reduced speed limit.
A emission charge could be a good solution to this?

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As an air quality consultant, I can say with some certainty that it's a bloody stupid idea. More people in Brighton WILL die as a result of the increased air pollution than will be saved by the reduced speed limit.

Is it that bad round here Notters ? I thought living on the coast with a regular sea breeze meant we have been poisoning the Nigels rather than ourselves ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it that bad round here Notters ? I thought living on the coast with a regular sea breeze meant we have been poisoning the Nigels rather than ourselves ?

It's pretty bad as about a third of the city is now an air quality management area. The sea breezes don't help as the salt particles contribute. We've certainly not got the same problems as London though, where 7-9% of deaths are directly attributable to air pollution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here