Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So this 20mph speed limit around town how is it affecting you ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It looks mostly like it's being ignored by about 70% of drivers. I try to keep to the 20mph limit but its easy to forget and suddenly you are at 28 mph.
It is probably going to cause some misguided road rage sooner or later as I have already had a couple of meatheads roar up behind me doing about 35mph and are then subsequently baffled by my 22mph speed.

Officially, it's not being enforced but the council have said that if there are concerns from the public that in certain areas, it is being badly ignored, they will " liaise " with the Rozzers ie, have a mobile speed camera there.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Accident probably caused though some one continuing checking there speedometer was reading 20 mph instead of the road ahead.

Possibly, there are people who are so inept that they'd need to keep checking to see if they were doing 20 in a 20 zone (or 30 in a 30 zone, or 40 in a 40 zone, or 60 in a 60 zone or 70 on a motorway)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I work away a lot and loads of places have 20mph in built up areas, when I am in France and Germany most towns and villages have speed limits this low. I would say the majority of people have no trouble with it and adhere to the limits.

The chance of someone being killed in an accident at 30mph is huge (More than half of road deaths and serious injuries occur on roads with 30 mph limits), having to deal with a lot of nasty life changing accidents for both drivers and pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists its a good thing if we can stop a few people having miserable experiences, and make people drive more carefully, I see it as a good thing.

So you then have to wonder why the Greens have not made accident's hot spots and school's/hospital's a priority ? .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It works good around here at the bottom of Ditchling Road, doesn't seem to affect my traveling times and hopefully it will save accidents/lives.
How many people were dying?
Oddly enough, by the time you get up to the schools by me (Downs) the 30 mph speed limit kicks in again!
Brilliant.

The chance of someone being killed in an accident at 30mph is huge
Not according to the government adverts, which said if you hit a child at 30mph there's an 80% chance they'll live. So that's if you're doing 30, and don't bother to break at all before hitting them.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Not according to the government adverts, which said if you hit a child at 30mph there's an 80% chance they'll live. So that's if you're doing 30, and don't bother to break at all before hitting them.

They do tend to break after you've hit them, though

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How will they prove you were doing 20 or 30mph in that scenario? The police reserve the use of their crash investigation unit to the most serious and usually fatal crashes so such facilities will not be used where a pedestrian gets hit, survives and takes out a private civil prosecution to sue for damages, its just not going to happen.

That is what I meant to fair you were not to know as I did not put fatel or serious crash/injury.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The big argument is that motorists tend to push speed limits. 70mph on motorways tends to have a lot of drivers doing 70-80. 40mph has a lot doing 40 -50, 30mph tends to have people doing 35 to pushing 40.

Thus with a 20 mph limit, in all likelihood, you will have speeds kept to 30mph and below. Therefore safer overall.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The big argument is that motorists tend to push speed limits. 70mph on motorways tends to have a lot of drivers doing 70-80. 40mph has a lot doing 40 -50, 30mph tends to have people doing 35 to pushing 40.

Thus with a 20 mph limit, in all likelihood, you will have speeds kept to 30mph and below. Therefore safer overall.

I think this is fair comment, as if you are now pulled doing 40 in a 20 you don't really have any excuse or comeback.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ultimately, all cars will have a speed governor factory fitted in order to control traffic speed and possibly act as a sat nav in the event of accidents and diversions. This because some people feel any speed limit infringes their personal right to do what ever they want and the police and Highways Agency have to spend millions on speeding enforcement and traffic calming measures, this will happen.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I live on Queens Park Road, at the Elm Grove junction, quite near to Psychobilly, and have no idea who he is.

Anyway, as a pedestrian, I have noticed one thing. The speed from Elm Grove into Queens Park Road seems to have reduced.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So far it's only really effected me as a taxpayer given the council have wasted £1.5m of taxpayers money on an unenforceable scheme. On the odd occasion I have entered the 20mph zone I've just ignored it and driven at an appropriate speed for the conditions.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I live on Queens Park Road, at the Elm Grove junction, quite near to Psychobilly, and have no idea who he is.

Anyway, as a pedestrian, I have noticed one thing. The speed from Elm Grove into Queens Park Road seems to have reduced.

Considering that junction is controlled by traffic lights one would asume that would be the case anyway.

Ps. now the Bib & Tucker is closed I guess you drink at the Hanover ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
To affect me I'd have to actually pay it attention, an attitude I suspect many drivers share.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
This.

Sorry but it is a ridiculous idea. I can understand it on North Street, Western Road and outside Schools, but a blanket implement?

Stupid idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here