Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So this 20mph speed limit around town how is it affecting you ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I partly agree with you but that statistic is not the one you want to use. Since most people live, cross roads and come into contact with cars in 30 mph zones there are going to be more collisions in these areas and, so, more deaths.
What you want to quote is the number of deaths per collision or the percentage deaths in a collision of several speeds for a true comparison, otherwise your statistic is meaningless.

Its really not my bag to have such details (mine came from Transport Statistics for Great Britain, that is often quoted to me) all I can repeat is that the vehicle accidents/cases I have to work with are not nice and really affect peoples lives, if we can get more people taking care, being alert behind the wheel it can hopefully reduce some families misery.

People blame the Greens but we are well behind a lot of other cities and towns across the UK in setting safer speed limits in built up areas, I am sure all the stats you want are available online, but it really goes to follow in my experience of accidents the slower the impact the more chance someone has of surviving and recovering quickly.

Reported Road Casualties Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am still finding the relatively new 30 limit on The Old Shoreham Road between the Firestation and Southwick difficult.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is absurd but what else can you expect from a Green council. I agree in shopping areas and around schools but a blanket speed limit is stupid.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How can a relatively simple change of speed limit to 20 mph cost £ 1.5 million. Ok- it will cost something but that is ridiculous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Around schools, OK, but this is due to be rolled out across the whole city! We ahve enough chaos with reduced lanes on major roads. If they are going to devellop this further, they need a few more of the larger arterial roads to ahve a 30 limit or it will all grind to a halt.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
The 20mph speed limits don't bother me. On half the streets you end up toodling along at this pace period because of the traffic. What does really annoy though is the time & particularly the money spent on the abortion of the Lewes Road (improvements) from Coombe Road in & out of town. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the dual carriageway as it was even reduced to 30mph. I'm also pretty pissed about the old Shoreham road from BHASVIC down to the drive.

What next green party? A bus lane the entire length of the old Shoreham Road? Maybe we need a cycle lane on the A27

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
What 20 mile an hour speed limit! Not seen anyone sticking to it at times where the amount of traffic allows you to drive above 20 miles an hour

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well I am a bit of nutter if I am honest and I have no respect for this law. I openly admit to reaching speed of up to 22, sometimes even 23mph on these roads. Crazy I may be, but that's the kind of guy I am.

You're gambling with your life, and that of others!

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
My kids walk to Elm Grove school and I feel so much better now there is a 20mph limit. I saw a child hit by a car on Elm Grove on the crossing outside the school and saw him fly 20 yards!! The parked cars cause problems for my kids crossing the road so I hope this can be sorted next.

I have a couple of cars by the way and I've found it okay to keep to 20 mph

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's misquoted - the POLICE have said they won't enforce it. For starters their cameras aren't accurate at such low speeds and secondly they don't have the resources to do so. Well done the council - £1.5m wasted !

Previous posters hit the nail on the head.

In summary, petrol heads or those leaving too late for their destination and whizzing through back streets, will now have no excuse if they mow someone down at say 35. They will be prosecuted for major motoring offences, and justifiably so.

There are too many arse holes in Brighton and Hove driving too fast, in complete disregard for any other road user, wildlife, pets.

Those who pick up the pieces from accidents, know that there is far more chance of the pedestrian or cycling victim, making it or being less hurt, if the perpetrator is driving at say 25 instead of say 35 to 40.

MillitantSeagull

Jul 10, 2010
Brighton
Does anyone actually stick to it, when it's peak times with the traffic you might be able to do 20, but whenever i've been down around town I just do 30 anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Previous posters hit the nail on the head.

In summary, petrol heads or those leaving too late for their destination and whizzing through back streets, will now have no excuse if they mow someone down at say 35. They will be prosecuted for major motoring offences, and justifiably so.

There are too many arse holes in Brighton and Hove driving too fast, in complete disregard for any other road user, wildlife, pets.

Those who pick up the pieces from accidents, know that there is far more chance of the pedestrian or cycling victim, making it or being less hurt, if the perpetrator is driving at say 25 instead of say 35 to 40.

Errr .... the previous limit was 30mph not 35mph or 40mph. Those that broke the limit then are hardly going to worry about the new limit. It's nothing but gesture politics which comes at the cost of £1.5m. I'm yet to see any figures showing how many fatal or serious injuries there were in the new 20mph zone previous to the change so how are we meant to measure its success ? Oh, sorry, I know, we're meant to take that bearded lying wanker Kitcat's word for it !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Errr .... the previous limit was 30mph not 35mph or 40mph. Those that broke the limit then are hardly going to worry about the new limit. It's nothing but gesture politics which comes at the cost of £1.5m. I'm yet to see any figures showing how many fatal or serious injuries there were in the new 20mph zone previous to the change so how are we meant to measure its success ? Oh, sorry, I know, we're meant to take that bearded lying wanker Kitcat's word for it !

Errrrr....we all know that many/most drivers creep a few or more over the 30, hence the realistic mention of 35 to 40. Many of these are not career criminals or boy racers, but people on school runs or just impatient folk thinking they can get away with it.

For this latter grouping, if it reduces their speed, then that's a good thing.

We know speeds have reduced already, as several on here have complained they are being slowed down. There's the anecdotal evidence.

It's long standing independent institute stats that show the impact of crashes on pedestrians, and the speed reduction I mention would give far better survival chances. If you don't believe that non political research, I'm sure traffic cops can enlighten you.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
My kids walk to Elm Grove school and I feel so much better now there is a 20mph limit. I saw a child hit by a car on Elm Grove on the crossing outside the school and saw him fly 20 yards!! The parked cars cause problems for my kids crossing the road so I hope this can be sorted next.

I have a couple of cars by the way and I've found it okay to keep to 20 mph

Good post that will probably be ignored by the arrogant posters who flaunt road laws so a few seconds can be saved rushing to the next hold up at the next junction/traffic lights/roundabout.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As an air quality consultant, I can say with some certainty that it's a bloody stupid idea. More people in Brighton WILL die as a result of the increased air pollution than will be saved by the reduced speed limit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here