So Mr Bloom, when do you show your hand?....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When do we sign a striker?

• By Friday night

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • By Sunday night

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • On transfer deadline day

Votes: 72 43.4%
  • Not at all, we are not signing one

Votes: 78 47.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A half season loan could perhaps be done ???

Please, Ulloa is not coming here. If you were the Leicester board, 15 games from a Champions League spot (something that has not been done by a provincial club since Blackburn in 1996), you'd do everything to keep your squad together. If Ulloa hadn't played any sort of role in their season it might be a goer, but he's a squad player and regularly plays in their first team. Leicester will only be enhancing their squad in this window, nobody who has any sort of chance of helping them finish in the top four will be allowed to leave unless they really wanted to. Ulloa might yet end up with a title winners medal. He won't be leaving.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oi TONY, by not SINGING a player this weekend and leaving it to Monday you are throwing away THREE points. Premier League Ready MY ARSE.

#Bloom OUT
#Barber OUT
#Sack the BORED.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Please, Ulloa is not coming here. If you were the Leicester board, 15 games from a Champions League spot (something that has not been done by a provincial club since Blackburn in 1996), you'd do everything to keep your squad together. If Ulloa hadn't played any sort of role in their season it might be a goer, but he's a squad player and regularly plays in their first team. Leicester will only be enhancing their squad in this window, nobody who has any sort of chance of helping them finish in the top four will be allowed to leave unless they really wanted to. Ulloa might yet end up with a title winners medal. He won't be leaving.

But if they enhance their squad significantly they will have to omit some from their 25 man squad won't they....
I suspect they will sign a striker to replace Kramaric and that'll be it but they can't bring others in without dropping players currently named.

Editing to add that the strikers they have been linked with (Eder, Remy) are not home grown (like Leo) so would be subject to the rule outlined.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In absolute fairness, though, at 1minute 59 seconds on the Paul Barber interview on seagulls.co.uk he makes the comment that the club are looking to 'increase the firepower upfront'. This was after the Knockhaert signing.

Yep. The quote from Barber is pretty clear. The club are explicitly looking for a striker and have said that several times in public.

“We’ve still got a little bit more to do…maybe one more , maybe two, to try and increase our firepower up front. I don’t think there’s any secret about that. But those strikers are in high demand. We’re not the only club …looking to do similar things. We have our particular targets. We’ll work through what we need to do , to try and land one of them. “

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0SDxi6RLEU

Also Naylor (presumably from a well informed club source) wrote yesterday "The Seagulls still intend to sign a striker to boost the promotion push."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14231894.Albion_are_set_for_busy_end_to_window/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But if they enhance their squad significantly they will have to omit some from their 25 man squad won't they....
I suspect they will sign a striker to replace Kramaric and that'll be it but they can't bring others in without dropping players currently named.

True. My point is that I would be amazed if they dropped £10m first team regular Leo Ulloa from their squad. They might find a better striker than him, and Leo might find himself outside that first 18 (seven subs), but I would think even that is unlikely. I think there is a man management angle that is often ignored in these discussions. If a squad player is popular with his team mates and then finds himself frozen out thanks to some unknown who joins with 2 thirds of the season played, that could have a massive negative impact on team morale.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
the club play their cards very close to their chest. Personally think we will not sign the quality of player we need.

Well they've openly said they're looking to buy a striker (Barber interview, briefing the Argus) so the cards aren't that close and Paul Winstanley has been putting in the air miles scouting for strikers for months now.
PS: Icy - apart from Zamora - have we signed any players this year who are the "quality of player we need" ? - interested in your view.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
True. My point is that I would be amazed if they dropped £10m first team regular Leo Ulloa from their squad. They might find a better striker than him, and Leo might find himself outside that first 18 (seven subs), but I would think even that is unlikely. I think there is a man management angle that is often ignored in these discussions. If a squad player is popular with his team mates and then finds himself frozen out thanks to some unknown who joins with 2 thirds of the season played, that could have a massive negative impact on team morale.

I agree with you (as I said re Kramaric.) I was simply pointing out that if they enhance their squad, as you suggest, something has to give. It'll be interesting in their case particularly so see what they do. Very little I suspect.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not convinced we will sign one. If Cardiff City want £3.5m for Mason then what can we buy that will be any better than what we have ? Ridiculous sums being banded about.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It helps that we have signed someone (Knocky) who will help our strikers score TBH.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
We seem very comfortable with spending a few million here and a few million there of Bloom's money for him, easy for us to say on here.
The right players have to be out there for the right money. We aren't in the PL money league with the spare cash to waste on skeptical punts just yet. We're already in enough debt without wastage.
I would imagine there will be a few disgruntled PL squad strikers not getting games and asking their manager about their prospects, something that comes into focus in the final days of the transfer window. The right loan signing could be very astute and provide good value for money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would imagine there will be a few disgruntled PL squad strikers not getting games and asking their manager about their prospects, something that comes into focus in the final days of the transfer window. The right loan signing could be very astute and provide good value for money.

Agreed. With the PLETHORA of injured players starting to come back now, wouldn't take much more of a nudge in the form of a smart loanee to ensure at least a play-off place.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We are Brighton. We don't do strikers - or if we do it is rarely. So it's a not at all from me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Loan window...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We need a permanent signing, not another loanee. :tantrum:

If the right man in terms of quality and value for money isn't there then no we don't. No point panic buying when a loan option could be a better deal. Remember we have a firing BZ, a nearing (hopefully) full fitness James Wilson and a returning Baldock to fill the gap for a few weeks if need be. Yes, it's clear another striker would be nice but I personally feel people are forgetting about Wilson a bit because he's been ill etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports