So Mr Bloom, when do you show your hand?....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When do we sign a striker?

• By Friday night

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • By Sunday night

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • On transfer deadline day

Votes: 72 43.4%
  • Not at all, we are not signing one

Votes: 78 47.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have a feeling something is happening as we speak....

I'd hope so.

The alternative is them having a party for 4 days, and then waking up on transfer deadline day and winging it from there :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Transfer window ???

Loan window to cover a possible Wilson recall ? ??? ??? ???

Only if the right man is available - I don't want to be stuck with another Dobbie - who luckily we mugged CPFC2010 with in the end...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If the right man in terms of quality and value for money isn't there then no we don't. No point panic buying when a loan option could be a better deal. Remember we have a firing BZ, a nearing (hopefully) full fitness James Wilson and a returning Baldock to fill the gap for a few weeks if need be. Yes, it's clear another striker would be nice but I personally feel people are forgetting about Wilson a bit because he's been ill etc...

But can't Wilson be recalled at 28 days notice? It's too risky I believe to rely on Man Utd leaving him with us especially with Van Gaal's imminent departure.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
They don't exist

But in the real world McCormack and Rhodes do exist, who have scored regularly at any club they've been at.

I think McCormack cost Fulham £11M, Rhodes was £8M a couple of years back, both will have a fat pay cheque. The very far upper end of Championship money I would say, half decent Premier league strikers change hands for less.
Olivier Giroud was less than £10M to Arsenal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think we have list of 3-5 strikers that we would take in order of priority. We are holding out for the best but I would expect us to give up on that by deadline day if it doesn't happen and go for the next option. Would be very very surprised if we don't sign a striker.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd like us to get in a top striker to help the promotion push, and I'm sure the club will be looking to improve our striking options (as indeed I would hope they are looking for potential improvements in all positions). However, I for one won't be shouting or moaning about it if they don't manage to land one of their targets - we've already had a good window, and we've got some pretty decent players making their way back from injury too.
Whatever happens (or doesn't happen) between now and Monday I'll be looking forward to the rest of the season. Up the Albion!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. I will be staggered if we come away empty-handed.
2. Not signing a decent striker will be tantamount to surrendering all aims for a top 2 finish.

We know how these things work in the window. The better the player, the later the deal. It was a great bit of business to get Knockaert - the side are scoring again and with KLL back any striker will expect to get decent service from those two.

I still think that the value is in Spain and South America.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need a permanent signing, not another loanee. :tantrum:

I'd rather have a good loanee for the rest of the season than splash out big bucks and a two and a half year contract on a striker who would have to be shipped out fairly promptly next season if we go up, because he is not good enough for the PL.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We do tho eh? What we don't do is retain strikers. Well not the good ones anyway. We sell those on earlydoors. The shit ones we always hang on to until well past their sell by date.

Is the right answer. And sign L1 top scorers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd rather have a good loanee for the rest of the season than splash out big bucks and a two and a half year contract on a striker who would have to be shipped out fairly promptly next season if we go up, because he is not good enough for the PL.

That is correct. I get slated for my suggestions but at least rather than spend TB money for him like most on here, my suggestions are cheap practical ones of players who could possibly do a job and then move on in the summer at no great expense.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Vardy and Mahrez at Leicester 29 Premier league goals so far this season, Ighalo and Deeney at Watford 20 Premier league goals between them, all Championship strikers not long ago.
These types are out there somewhere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Vardy and Mahrez at Leicester 29 Premier league goals so far this season, Ighalo and Deeney at Watford 20 Premier league goals between them, all Championship strikers not long ago.
I did specify 'big bucks' - I don't think these really qualify. Good value, certainly. Someone similar would be good - but no guarantees!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think McCormack cost Fulham £11M, Rhodes was £8M a couple of years back, both will have a fat pay cheque. The very far upper end of Championship money I would say, half decent Premier league strikers change hands for less.
Giroud would not have joined a championship club and is on 80k a week!!

Yes McCormack and Rhodes would cost a lot but they are proven so I have absolutely no doubt we would recoup the money spent in transfer fees. Ok they would cost 2.5 million in wages a year but surely this would represent good value if they got 20 goals a season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Middlesbrough want McCormack, who has handed in a transfer request. Fulham have rejected his request.
http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/3836/fulham-reject-ross-mccormack-transfer-request/

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Ighalo a not available to anyone else example though being a Pozzo Udinese-Granada-Watford triumvirate player. Maybe TB needs to buy a club in Spain as well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Let's face it. We only need a striker who can score (big ask I know). Size, speed, strength & skill are all irrelevant. As long as the new lad is not a sick note and can get one goal every two games we'll be happy! And probably promoted.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Exactly right, we know the players who are available it's just a case of whether Tony decides to push the boat out...

So who these are realistic signings? And what says that they would be prepared to join us now? (none of that fantasy football manager game scenario where you just offer a silly wage and they immediately accept - real world please)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So who these are realistic signings? And what says that they would be prepared to join us now? (none of that fantasy football manager game scenario where you just offer a silly wage and they immediately accept - real world please)

This is what irritates me. We apparently live in an era where fans believe signing a player is the same as it is on computer games. There's no acceptance of how difficult it is to get a signing sorted and how many options a quality striker will have if they decide to join a Championship club. We may well have scouted some great players but getting a deal sorted is far from easy, especially in January and especially for a striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports