Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So called Brighton fans who sang about Istanbul!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can only assume that anyone who thinks it is fair to sing about Istanbul would equally find it fair if opposing fans sang songs about Robert Eaton's death?

There IS a line between banter and offence IMO, and I think most people, on reflection, know where it is.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Okay - yes, it was crass, stupid, thoughtless all those things. People do get carried away in the heat of the moment. Stuff is said. It appeared that almost the entire stand sang it yesterday so I was far from alone.

But....we regularly advocate shooting people "My old man....", burning people "Build a bonfire...." and this chant yesterday was at Leeds where they sing about Munich (I certainly heard that sung in a pub).

Perhaps I'm trying to justify the unjustifiable. I was a little pished and those stewards really annoyed me. If anyone was offended then I'm sorry.

Buzzer

Two things

1) At least you had the "bottle" to come on here and admit you had joined in with the chant. One of the few posters who has.
2) You have also now apologised if you caused anyone any offence.

For the record I wasn't having a "dig" at you personally nor was I trying to wind you up.

I think US was right when he posted earlier
Draw a line under it and move on.?

So making up songs about the murder of opposing fans is ok then? ???

I don't remember people complaining to songs such as "you're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in" "you're going home in a sussex ambulance" or "let him die, let him die, let him die"

Where is the line drawn at which songs are ok and which are not?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I would never go as low as to sing a song about Istanbul. To me that is disgusting.

However, I have no problem singing Munich songs as it is about ManUre and they deserve everything they get.

In the end it comes down to how much you hate the team. I have nothing against Leeds so find it offensive and wrong. ManUre are the scum of the earth and deserve every song thrown at them.

Obviously peoples lives are far far more important than a game of football but in at the time in that atmosphere logic goes out the window.

I bet most of the people singing about Istanbul now regret it as the adrenaline has gone as has the alcohol in their system.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I don't remember people complaining to songs such as "you're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in" "you're going home in a sussex ambulance" or "let him die, let him die, let him die"

Where is the line drawn at which songs are ok and which are not?

Not really sure where I stand on this to tell the truth, but that is a stupid argument, the songs are completely different. The Istanbul chant refers to a specific event which actually happened, and 2 people did get killed. Any songs like "you're going home in an ambulance" are perhaps sometimes threatening, at other times idiots trying to sound hard, but it certainly can't compare with an Istanbul chant. I think El Presidente was right though, when he asked how people would feel if the Leeds fans started singing "Robert Eaton, la la la" or something.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I would never go as low as to sing a song about Istanbul. To me that is disgusting.

However, I have no problem singing Munich songs as it is about ManUre and they deserve everything they get.

In the end it comes down to how much you hate the team. I have nothing against Leeds so find it offensive and wrong. ManUre are the scum of the earth and deserve every song thrown at them.

Obviously peoples lives are far far more important than a game of football but in at the time in that atmosphere logic goes out the window.

I bet most of the people singing about Istanbul now regret it as the adrenaline has gone as has the alcohol in their system.

haha one of the worst arguments I have ever heard. Basically your saying it is "disgusting and low" to sing about Instanbul but ok to sing about munich because of your single personal view on each club?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Whan you say ManU are the scum of the earth, to whom are you referring?

Is it the players, who are just doing the job they have been fortunate enough to secure, playing football for argualbly the biggest football club in the world.

Is it the genuine fans, normal people, with wives, husbands, children, jobs etc, going about their business supporting the team of their choice.

Is it the plastic fans, those who simply follow them because they want to support the successful team, but also those with wives husbands etc..?

Any of whom may have been directly effected by the incident in Munich

Is it the owners, those wealthy enough, who have worked hard enough through thier lives and have realised their desire to buy the club? They may not be ManU fans, but their investment is pretty evident of their passion for the club.

I just don't get this abject hatred you show towards ManU in its entirety. Yes, we all hate Palace, but we also have seen the efforts of their fans towards REMF, several of them visit here regulalry, we can manage to control ourselve to hate them as a rival. Perhaps it's just jealousy with you and ManU eh?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

You should be banned for posts like that.
Ignorant idiot. Innocent people deserve to DIE just because they play for "Man Ure"?
Sick:nono:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

FFS ...is this a wind up????

:tosser:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I would certainly never join in songs about Istanbul, that is extremely bad taste, but advocating singing songs about Munich is purely offensive...whatever your opinion of Man Utd it was young players, the likes of Duncan Edwards, who lost their lives in that tragedy. If we were to welcome a team from New York to Withdean, for a friendly match, would you start singing songs about where their Twin Towers have gone...no, I thought not!

However, Leeds do have some history with Man Utd, the behaviour of their fans during a national paying of respects for the life of Georgie Best illustrated that...but why should we feel the necessity to bring ourselves down the primordial soup where many of their fans reside?

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
on hearing what has been sung and the fact I have lots of good friends in Leeds...I am quite embarrassed today to be a Brighton fan.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
haha one of the worst arguments I have ever heard. Basically your saying it is "disgusting and low" to sing about Instanbul but ok to sing about munich because of your single personal view on each club?

I'm not saying it's right, but it is the way it is. People WILL judge something allowable because of their opinions and then deem something unacceptable, again because of their opinions.

Again, I'm not saying it's right but it is the way it is.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
how did the song go just out of interest?

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Whan you say ManU are the scum of the earth, to whom are you referring?

Is it the players, who are just doing the job they have been fortunate enough to secure, playing football for argualbly the biggest football club in the world.

Is it the genuine fans, normal people, with wives, husbands, children, jobs etc, going about their business supporting the team of their choice.

Is it the plastic fans, those who simply follow them because they want to support the successful team, but also those with wives husbands etc..?

Any of whom may have been directly effected by the incident in Munich

Is it the owners, those wealthy enough, who have worked hard enough through thier lives and have realised their desire to buy the club? They may not be ManU fans, but their investment is pretty evident of their passion for the club.

I just don't get this abject hatred you show towards ManU in its entirety. Yes, we all hate Palace, but we also have seen the efforts of their fans towards REMF, several of them visit here regulalry, we can manage to control ourselve to hate them as a rival. Perhaps it's just jealousy with you and ManU eh?

I can't argue with anything you say, like I said in the previous post it is all to do with adrenaline and atmosphere. I can't sit here and argue that it's right, of course I can't. The point I was trying to make (and by the sound of the reaction didn't make very well) is that things are done in the heat of the moment. I mean just cast your mind back to Tuesday against Orient when they sang "Does your Boyfriend know your here" and loads of Brighton came back with "You dirty Muslim bastards". That's not logical or indeed true but in the heat of the moment it's what comes out.

Last but not least. the jealousy thing. No I'm not jealous of their success, I am so glad I wasn't born in London and had to support them!! I am jealous that because of their success they have abducted pretty much all my nephews at some point.

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
No surprise to see who was singing it. They'll read this. Nice one lads, very brave, especially when Mark Raven's 100 yards away.

Was he the bloke with the woman, who was turning around stating that all in the upper tier are 'f***ing C#NTS' ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here