So are Reading really a better project ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am only saying this after witnessing our prematch warm ups with all the coaching staff working the players in a tried, tested and proven method. Gus's warm up had Charlie running around with the players and Tanno sat slumped in his chair, arms folded, and chatting to Gus. It's the difference between night and day.

Oooh. I do like watching the warm-ups. I look forward to seeing what is new under Oscar.

Under Poyet - generally there was not a lot of difference between us and the opposition. We did more a more intricate passing exercise, and our stretches looked more thought out. However, we did have a rather tired loooking shooting exercise, and often an old long ball exercise that I first saw under MA - but not a great deal of difference between us and the opposition.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why does Gus get so much sympathy when the vast majority of managers are in the same boat but just get on with the job unless a better one comes along?

I am staggered at how much sympathy and understanding Gus is getting from plenty of the more considered posters on NSC when he has been moaning like a spoilt brat, whilst touting himself month after month. Am I missing something here?

Can someone please name me one manager with similar experience to Gus who continually behaves like this? I might then be able to comprehend how this seems to be accepted as reasonable behaviour from a manager who, to me seems to have a fantastic job.

To dismiss his efforts as a manager and coach because of club politics is confusing the various separate issues. His point about the budgets had some validity. Just because there is a perception that we had a budget to compete with the highest in the division and that we therefore automatically belong at the top of the division is a symptom of impatience and arrogance.

I don't give a toss whether another manager behaved like this or not, and I couldn't give a monkey's one way or another whether Gus' pronouncements annoyed you. For me, it's not about sympathy; it's about finding out the whole truth - so far we've only had ambiguous statements from both sides - before making any judgements on the situation.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To dismiss his efforts as a manager and coach because of club politics is confusing the various separate issues. His point about the budgets had some validity. Just because there is a perception that we had a budget to compete with the highest in the division and that we therefore automatically belong at the top of the division is a symptom of impatience and arrogance.

I don't give a toss whether another manager behaved like this or not, and I couldn't give a monkey's one way or another whether Gus' pronouncements annoyed you. For me, it's not about sympathy; it's about finding out the whole truth - so far we've only had ambiguous statements from both sides - before making any judgements on the situation.

This.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

From what I've read of your posts, and I may have missed a few obviously, I haven't noticed you being quite so supportive of Bloom's position in all of this. If you are only interested in knowing what happened rather than taking sides then it seems a bit strange that you choose only to dismiss claims about what Gus did or didn't do and how he has a case about budgets that you can only guess at for last season.

As for not caring how the manager behaves, your call of course but for all my irritation at some of his post match interviews I have never dismissed his efforts as a manager and a coach so I am not sure where that came from.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
s

Why does Gus get so much sympathy when the vast majority of managers are in the same boat but just get on with the job unless a better one comes along?

I am staggered at how much sympathy and understanding Gus is getting from plenty of the more considered posters on NSC when he has been moaning like a spoilt brat, whilst touting himself month after month. Am I missing something here?

Can someone please name me one manager with similar experience to Gus who continually behaves like this? I might then be able to comprehend how this seems to be accepted as reasonable behaviour from a manager who, to me seems to have a fantastic job.

Well, speaking for myself, it didn't bother me partly because I didn't think he was moaning like a spoilt brat nor touting himself month after month. However I accept that others are more sensitive souls.

and partly because, as a Brighton fan, I'm completely used to our best players and managers leaving us once they have a bit of success. The numerous threads about 'Gus to...' were part humorous, but also had a ring of truth to them, he is widely admired. So I've been expecting Gus to leave for the past two years, and I found it rather refreshing that he actually stayed. I can't remember having one manager as long as this since Lloyd I guess, and he was hardly in demand elsewhere. Nice to have a successful manager trying to complete a job at Brighton rather than walk out part way through, and especially nice to see one spreading a great new football philosophy throughout the club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This for me is where it gets a bit tenuous, I'm sorry to say. You are trying to convince that the enormous technical improvements that we saw in Albion football under Gus came about with outdated and old-fashioned methods. I really don't think that will wash with fair-minded fans, it's lacks any kind of credibility and reality test with what we've seen from our football over the past 4 years.

As for Gus being lazy - it's been said constantly about him over the years that he's a football obsessive who could never switch off from work. The story that you are not getting us to buy I'm afraid jars too much with previous accounts.

There is no doubt that Oscar will bring in fresh ideas and methods, and those will be very welcome, but the idea that there was something massively broken that needed fixing about being the best-performing Championship team in calendar year 2013 again stretches credibility too far.

I know we wiill never agree but when a manager says that he does not study the opposition, we just concentrate on what we do. Don't you think that is a little worrying? or is Gus so good in some peoples eyes that he doesn't need to do any homework on the opposition?

If I was Bloom paying him £3k a day, I would expect home work to be done, and implement creative, modern and progressive coaching methods.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It doesn't help when the chairman comments on it giving people more info to salivate over, then gus goes on tv and comments on it giving people more info to salivate over. This is likely to keep being discussed all the while they keep making public comments (gus will probably be asked about it at least when he first appears on each channel).

I agree 100% and the longer this goes on the worse this is making gus and the club look. It's Oscar I feel for as it is almost like his appointment and our season is still playing second fiddle to the Gus Poyet show

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, speaking for myself, it didn't bother me partly because I didn't think he was moaning like a spoilt brat nor touting himself month after month. However I accept that others are more sensitive souls.

and partly because, as a Brighton fan, I'm completely used to our best players and managers leaving us once they have a bit of success. The numerous threads about 'Gus to...' were part humorous, but also had a ring of truth to them, he is widely admired. So I've been expecting Gus to leave for the past two years, and I found it rather refreshing that he actually stayed. I can't remember having one manager as long as this since Lloyd I guess, and he was hardly in demand elsewhere. Nice to have a successful manager trying to complete a job at Brighton rather than walk out part way through, and especially nice to see one spreading a great new football philosophy throughout the club.

I imagine most managers would have stayed here a while if they had never managed before and were given the facilities and budget Poyet was given. I may be a sensitive soul, as you put it, but to compare what he had to work with and what previous managers here had and just tamely accept Poyet's little digs and hissy fits because he hadn't walked out is ridiculous. Do you really think Gus would have stayed here 5 mins longer than the 1st offer if we were still at Withdean and the Amex hadn't had a digger move in?

You are talking like we are still a little club with big ambition and a shit stadium.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From what I've read of your posts, and I may have missed a few obviously, I haven't noticed you being quite so supportive of Bloom's position in all of this. If you are only interested in knowing what happened rather than taking sides then it seems a bit strange that you choose only to dismiss claims about what Gus did or didn't do and how he has a case about budgets that you can only guess at for last season.

I haven't really supported Gus either. I am merely countering, for the sake of balance, many suppositions which paint Gus as the villain of the piece, and pointing out that he has a right to defend himself. Reading some posts, I get the feeling some would deny him that right.

I don't have enough evidence, one way or another - nor does anyone else, for that matter - to make my own conclusions.

As for not caring how the manager behaves, your call of course but for all my irritation at some of his post match interviews I have never dismissed his efforts as a manager and a coach so I am not sure where that came from.

I feel your dismissal is coming on the back of feeling he should have done better on a budget you couldn't believe he didn't have.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I imagine most managers would have stayed here a while if they had never managed before and were given the facilities and budget Poyet was given. I may be a sensitive soul, as you put it, but to compare what he had to work and what previous managers here had and then try and justify Poyet's little digs and hissy fits because he hadn't walked out is ridiculous. Do you really think Gus would have stayed here 5 mins longer than the 1st offer if we were still at Withdean and the Amex hadn't had a digger move in?

You are talking like we are still a little club with big ambition and a shit stadium.

His comments were not about comparisons with his predecessors. They were about comparisons with his competitors.

I think I've just fixtured myself.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Spot on. But he won't budge.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
II feel your dismissal is coming on the back of feeling he should have done better on a budget you couldn't believe he didn't have.

That's another argument and we could have done better, not should. I would have been delighted for Gus to carry on as manager this season if he had stayed and sorted his differences with the board pre the fall out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I imagine most managers would have stayed here a while if they had never managed before and were given the facilities and budget Poyet was given. I may be a sensitive soul, as you put it, but to compare what he had to work with and what previous managers here had and just tamely accept Poyet's little digs and hissy fits because he hadn't walked out is ridiculous. Do you really think Gus would have stayed here 5 mins longer than the 1st offer if we were still at Withdean and the Amex hadn't had a digger move in?

And here is the root of the problem. Too many on here still have a small club mentality, and too high an opinion of Gus, making no allowance for the support he received from Tony.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
His comments were not about comparisons with his predecessors. They were about comparisons with his competitors.

I don't think they were, it was how nice is was not to lose Brighton players and managers.

How the feck did you come to that conclusion? :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

again, the digs and 'hissy fits' that I recall were justified (and in many cases, rather refreshing), but lets agree to disagree on that one. As for the rest, I think I agree, Poyet had a very interesting project going that was certainly attractive to him, yes he would have left earlier if we had still been at Withdean, yes the budget was good enough to compete and not face immediate relegation - all things that made supporting Brighton under Gus' tenure so great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports