Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So are Reading really a better project ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We're probably making harder work of this budget issue than we need to - no one can dispute that in finishing 4th (and 1st in the post-Xmas form table), Gus outperformed his budget and cemented his reputation as a fine manager. Yes of course the likes of BW and others of similar mentality will claim Gus was merely matching expectations but it's fairly clear these are people out to denigrate Gus in whatever way they can, as a smokescreen to justify the extremely messy and opaque way he was removed.

The relevance of this going forward is more interesting though, because all those arguing that we had a very healthy budget will now surely have to hold Oscar to the highest results standard - we'll see if they do or they invent all manner of excuses they wouldn't have granted Gus.

More BS. I have already stated that Oscar is being held to EXACTLY the same target of top 6 by Tony. Reasonable target for Gus, reasonable target for Oscar. Both on similar playing budget too. Smokescreen, indeed!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It will cut both ways though and cause even more division on NSC. You know as well as I do that people on NSC don't tend to change their standpoint, however convincing the arguments against may be.

Will Oscar be given time by fans if we struggle for a month or two? I doubt it, and there will be the inevitable comparisons with Gus. If he does well and we are up near the top with some humble post match interviews then there will be the argument that we are well shot of Gus.

I'd suggest we will need to make a few decent signings before we know if Oscar will be working with the same financial muscle Gus was given last year though.

Interesting times and guaranteed binfests whichever way it goes :smile:

Ain't that the truth!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
see you have already done that one
and you mentioned him first are you and bw doing shifts

Are you and TLO on shifts? When's he next on? When are you clocking off?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
More BS. I have already stated that Oscar is being held to EXACTLY the same target of top 6 by Tony. Reasonable target for Gus, reasonable target for Oscar. Both on similar playing budget too. Smokescreen, indeed!

Aint that the truth!

You've highlighted the bit where Icy has said that we will have to wait and see Oscars signings before we will know whether Oscar is working wit the same budget??

Can you see the contradiction in those two posts. Either he is working with the same budget or he isn't?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
We're probably making harder work of this budget issue than we need to - no one can dispute that in finishing 4th (and 1st in the post-Xmas form table), Gus outperformed his budget and cemented his reputation as a fine manager. Yes of course the likes of BW and others of similar mentality will claim Gus was merely matching expectations but it's fairly clear these are people out to denigrate Gus in whatever way they can, as a smokescreen to justify the extremely messy and opaque way he was removed.

The relevance of this going forward is more interesting though, because all those arguing that we had a very healthy budget will now surely have to hold Oscar to the highest results standard - we'll see if they do or they invent all manner of excuses they wouldn't have granted Gus.

:clap2:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You've highlighted the bit where Icy has said that we will have to wait and see Oscars signings before we will know whether Oscar is working wit the same budget??

Can you see the contradiction in those two posts. Either he is working with the same budget or he isn't?

Are you confusing "squad" and "budget"?

From last season's squad, Vicente, Dicker and Painter were released. Bridge, Hammond and Upsons' loans ended.

If Oscar has a similar playing budget, the money freed up by those departures will be available for incoming players (so far, Kemy, Chicksen and Upson, with Andrews now apparently confirmed on a loan). Hopefully one or two signings still to come in this window.

Different squad; probably similar budget.

Of course, if you wish to know what the playing budget is this season, you could always listen to what the Chief Executive has to say. On June 24, in an e-mail to ST-holders, he stated that the budget would be "in line" with last season. At the Supporters' Club AGM on Wednesday he confirmed it has been "slightly increased" (at least according to the report in the newsletter - I wasn't there in person).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just to add, Gus also said he wanted to leave immediately (in March), i.e. end of season was not Gus' preference (again demonstrating his self before club persona).

Tny said gus asked to leave at the end of the season but said the next day would be fine too. He may have preferred the next day, but according to tony he asked for the end of season.

EDIT, just looked up the quote

"It got triggered by a phone call that he made to me four days before the first League game against Crystal Palace at home in March, when he phoned me up and made it clear to me he wanted to leave at the end of the season and he didn't want to discuss it at all and he said that if he could leave the next day that would be fine.

I suppose it could be argued he wanted the next day, but reads to me like he just wanted to leave, was offering, and willing, to stay til the end of the season "to be reasonable".

Assuming he was genuinely wanting to leave at that point :wink:

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

You seem to be a loyal support of Gus but not the club ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You can't now, in retrospect, argue that when Gus called Tony and asked to leave that he didn't really want to leave, that it was just a bluff, AND now argue that Gus wanted to leave at a key point in the season. They are mutually exclusive they boil down to "gus didn't want to leave" and "gus wanted to leave" those two arguments cannot co-exist.

I suppose it could be argued he wanted the next day, but reads to me like he just wanted to leave, was offering, and willing, to stay til the end of the season "to be reasonable".

Assuming he was genuinely wanting to leave at that point :wink:

Thanks, makes perfect sense to me now :lolol:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd suggest we will need to make a few decent signings before we know if Oscar will be working with the same financial muscle Gus was given last year though.

Paul Barber has stated categorically that the budget is the same. We either believe him or don't.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Are you confusing "squad" and "budget"?

From last season's squad, Vicente, Dicker and Painter were released. Bridge, Hammond and Upsons' loans ended.

If Oscar has a similar playing budget, the money freed up by those departures will be available for incoming players (so far, Kemy, Chicksen and Upson, with Andrews now apparently confirmed on a loan). Hopefully one or two signings still to come in this window.

Different squad; probably similar budget.

Of course, if you wish to know what the playing budget is this season, you could always listen to what the Chief Executive has to say. On June 24, in an e-mail to ST-holders, he stated that the budget would be "in line" with last season. At the Supporters' Club AGM on Wednesday he confirmed it has been "slightly increased" (at least according to the report in the newsletter - I wasn't there in person).

I'm quitel aware of all of that, you should be quoting BW, not me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here