Attachments

• Magna_Carta_British_Library_Cotton_MS_Augustus_II.106-300x200.jpg
    Magna_Carta_British_Library_Cotton_MS_Augustus_II.106-300x200.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 86

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
African American Music

I am not sure if you are trying to be "relevant"

& If I have to be pedantic, it was not all African American Music they copied and idolised, it was as all the best things are a melting pot of influeneces.
The Beatles and Stones worshiped the likes of Blues yes, along with Rockabilly which was basically Hillbilly, not forgetting skiffle, and Bluegrass and do not mistake it for Rock'n'Roll which was obviously heavily influenced by Jazz and Swing, all of these sounds were a melting pot of styles and ethnic influences from Africa to Scotland and Germany, not just African American, because that is not the truth.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hold on there fella, wasn't some of Shakespeare's work a tad racist and sexist? 'The Merchant of Venice' for one. :shrug:

Where do we draw the line?

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/nov/03/if-a-shakespeare-play-is-racist-or-antisemitic-is-it-ok-to-change-the-ending

'

Interesting article, thank you for posting. Actually I can see both sides of that debate. My preference is to keep the original Shakespeare but at the same time it is up to the director. I have seen a number of updated versions (including Merchant of Venice) although none went so far as to change the words. I would want it clearly explained in the advertising that this was happening, which did not happen for the production discussed in the article. Then I could make up my own mind and choose (or not) to attend a performance true to the original Shakespeare. The risk of making these changes is that the meaning of the play is lost and it becomes something completely different.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I am not sure if you are trying to be "relevant"

& If I have to be pedantic, it was not all African American Music they copied and idolised, it was as all the best things are a melting pot of influeneces.
The Beatles and Stones worshiped the likes of Blues yes, along with Rockabilly which was basically Hillbilly, not forgetting skiffle, and Bluegrass and do not mistake it for Rock'n'Roll which was obviously heavily influenced by Jazz and Swing, all of these sounds were a melting pot of styles and ethnic influences from Africa to Scotland and Germany, not just African American, because that is not the truth.

Perhaps but not primarily. Just harking back to the many documentaries, vox pops and quotes from all the bands mentioned (from individual members and collectively) that they were influenced profoundly by the Blues. I'm sure that they all had many other influences too - especially through the mid-late sixties when the hippy movement/anti-war/fascist/anti-race movements were in full swing and providing much more direct/confrontational/violent protests than they are now (wrong thread, I know).

Still hugely proud that British bands and artists have shaped modern popular culture so directly, adding to a huge tradition of British innovation across all sectors of society.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Kindness to animals. Not everyone of course, but overwhelmingly we’re pretty compassionate.

We’re wonderful exponents of the comic genre of irony, parody, satire, black comedy and nonsense. [With an honorary mention to the Scottish genius Armando Iannucci].

Black comedy?!!! You can pack that in right now!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And your problem with that is?

Absolutely nothing at all. Sadly you've misread my meaning. The defacement of churchills statue is ridiculous. It may well be that he had some racist attitudes. However, that statue is not so much about him but more a symbol of the nation's resolve and fighting spirit that saw us through the war. A point lost on the idiots with spray cans

T

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Being proud does not require being the best. Football has always been played better in other cities but that has never stopped me being proud of my team.
I would add the BBC, real ale, tolerance and obscure lower league football grounds to the list.

BBC = definitely
Real ale = yes
Tolerance = Hmmm... 6/10 could do better
Lower league football grounds = surely most countries have them?

I would however add 50 years of great bands.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Personally I believe good old blighty still produce The best Readers Wives in the world .

This post makes me proud to be English.
There are some on here who would have segregated Black and Asian readers wives from white ones.
But there is proof on those pages that whatever the colour of the ladies we are all the same colour inside.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Are you a fat ******* perchance? :wink:

E type Jag if it hasn’t already been mentioned

I am just big-boned...…….

I could do with losing weight, but am not obese. Just because I mention things called "puddings" and which rely on suet doesn't mean I eat them regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here