Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] So... A Thread Of Things That Make You Proud To Be English

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting message from a very good German friend of mine.

'In order to deal with a painful past it’s crucially important to look at it, bravely, open-eyed, and in very fine details. And *work through it*. It’s a painful but essential process. And I think it would be good (eventually: healing) for the UK to really confront the past, and to find a new identity that’s not rooted that deeply in past empires. If it takes tearing down statues for this to kick off, so be it'

And on the subject of great things about being English:

'Music! Arts! Culture!
And: CUCUMBER SANDWICHES! (I love them to bits ��'

It would be good to see folk's views on this without lobbing proxy parasites about Germany and its ills.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indeed!

Just look at London

Wembley,Lord's & Twickenham

For me you've hit an excellent note about how things move on.

I loved the old Wembley, but it was unsafe, tired, crumbling, once the 'Empire Stadium' but now a symbol of tiredness and outdated ideas.

So we built a new one. The old Wembley is still in the history books. But no-one really talks about it now. We have a new stadium. And the rest of the world thinks it's cool as well.

Lords, the same. What's good was kept. It's still a beautiful ground.

Twickenham ? I'm a huge rugby fan. But if it went I wouldn't be upset. As long as we superimpose something better.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Interesting message from a very good German friend of mine.

'In order to deal with a painful past it’s crucially important to look at it, bravely, open-eyed, and in very fine details. And *work through it*. It’s a painful but essential process. And I think it would be good (eventually: healing) for the UK to really confront the past, and to find a new identity that’s not rooted that deeply in past empires. If it takes tearing down statues for this to kick off, so be it'

And on the subject of great things about being English:

'Music! Arts! Culture!
And: CUCUMBER SANDWICHES! (I love them to bits ��'

It would be good to see folk's views on this without lobbing proxy parasites about Germany and its ills.

You’ve sneaked the bit about statues in there, hoping nobody would notice :smile:
It does remind me though to add arts and culture to my list, particularly outdoor Shakespeare with a picnic and a bottle of red.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Being proud does not require being the best. Football has always been played better in other cities but that has never stopped me being proud of my team.
I would add the BBC, real ale, tolerance and obscure lower league football grounds to the list.

That's right,having 92 genuine league clubs is unique to our country

Paris for example has just one team,it's no wonder they win everything

D

Deleted member 2719

Post deleted by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Finding this hard, we had so many positive prior to BLM causing division in the country and remainers not accepting Brexitvon the chin.

This is the truth, I am off now as I don't want to derail your positive thread.

Prior to BLM??
Everything I was proud of I have seen gradually erode away over the past 30 years.
We used to mostly do things right and we were a country to be envied.
Regarding BLM I was so proud of the way this country had become mostly tolerant since the 60's but very sadly we have gone backwards over the past 10 years, even women are still not treated properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here