Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow to continue into the next few weeks?

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Papa Lazarou. May I ask how you know so much about the weather?!
Is it your job?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I know it, and you know it, but the Man on the Clapham Omnibus -- or on a footie bulletin board -- either doesn't know or doesn't care. The use of the term 'warming' is catchy --and even true globally -- but it's become self-defeating.

We have idiot Senators go on the floor of the Senate and reassure America that because it was colder than a witches' tit in Knob End, Oklahoma last night, there's no need to address carbon dioxide & methane emissions. I've watched the beginning of maple sugar season here come forward by over a week in the last thirty years, and the birds at my feeder are different.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
:facepalm::ohmy::wozza:

Oh FFS! Climate change-deniers are the new flat-earthers. I suppose these people still believe in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy?

Firstly, all temperature statistics have shown incontrovertibly that recent summers globally have been hotter than previously, and have shown a steady increase on the first half of the 20th Century (just because OUR summers haven't been hot, doesn't mean that the rest of the world hasn't had exceptionally hot summers, along with increasing instances of drought, crop failures, forest fires, etc).

Secondly, there is a difference between 'weather' and 'climate' - weather is a short-term occurrence, whereas climate is long-term. A cold winter such as we are experiencing does not mean that OVERALL, the world's climate hasn't got hotter over the last couple of decades. Imagine someone steadily putting on weight each year, and reaching dangerous levels of obesity - they might lose a couple of pounds occasionally, but overall, there weight is still increasing.

Thirdly, there is the imperialistic British arrogance that if WE aren't experiencing something, then the rest of the world isn't - or if it is, then it doesn't matter, 'cos we Brits are immune to anything south of Dover!

Fourthly, the 'it's all a ploy to screw us for more taxes' suggests acute paranoia, or a Daily Mail mindset - which is pretty much the same thing ('ooohh, everyone's out to get us'). 'They' are sitting down and saying 'oh, I know, lets create a story that the world is rapidly heating up to life-threatening levels, and then we can impose new or higher taxes'. Typically, many of those in the USA who are climate change-denyers tend to have close links with the fuel companies and other corporate groups who want to continue depleting the earth's natural resources, or contributing to greenhouse gas emissions, in order to protect short-term profits - yeah, f*** the long term damage to the environment, let's concentrate on this year's balance sheet and share-holder value.

People often deny climate change because they simply don't want to change their decadent, greedy consumerist (but ultimately unsustainable) Western Lifestyle, which is based around constantly buying the latest fashion items and gadgets, and driving two yards down the road to buy a pint of milk, 'cos they're too lazy and lard-arsed to walk.

Global warming was first proposed around the late 1980's, Do you not think we would now, 20 years later be seeing true real signs of global warming all around us i.e winters with zero snow, rather than the coldest winter in 30 years and last January's one in 20 years snow storm. Also the last 3 summers have been anything but hot. For this to have true credibity, surely now we should be seeing an upward curve of increasing temperatures over the last 20 years which we have not.

It is not just in the UK that we are seeing bitterly cold weather, all of continental Europe is as is N America, China and S Korea.

As the famous saying going goes "there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics" you can find statistics anywhere to back up your case of global climate increase. If climatologists said everything is fine with the climate there is nothing to worry about, their budgets from governments/businesses would be significantly cut to investigate climatology. It is they whom are pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, by making out it is such a big issue.

The real evidence and not cooked up statistics is there for us all to see by opening our front doors. Is it generally warmer than it was 20 years ago? Was it so last summer, the summer before that, surely these should have been much hotter than 1976 if global warming is to be believed.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Global warming was first proposed around the late 1980's, Do you not think we would now, 20 years later be seeing true real signs of global warming all around us i.e winters with zero snow, rather than the coldest winter in 30 years and last January's one in 20 years snow storm. Also the last 3 summers have been anything but hot. For this to have true credibity, surely now we should be seeing an upward curve of increasing temperatures over the last 20 years which we have not.

It is not just in the UK that we are seeing bitterly cold weather, all of continental Europe is as is N America, China and S Korea.

As the famous saying going goes "there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics" you can find statistics anywhere to back up your case of global climate increase. If climatologists said everything is fine with the climate there is nothing to worry about, their budgets from governments/businesses would be significantly cut to investigate climatology. It is they whom are pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, by making out it is such a big issue.

The real evidence and not cooked up statistics is there for us all to see by opening our front doors. Is it generally warmer than it was 20 years ago? Was it so last summer, the summer before that, surely these should have been much hotter than 1976 if global warming is to be believed.

Again, just 'cos our last three summers have been shite, does not disprove global warming - other parts of Europe, Asia and Australia have had increasingly hot weather in recent years. The clue is in the phrase global warming, not whether Britain's weather is shite or not. The world is a lot bigger than this sceptered (sceptic) isle.

8 of the last 10 years globally have been the hottest on record - is that just a coincidence? Or is that also silly scientists bullshitting everyone to get more money out of the governemnt? In which case, is the melting of the polar ice caps part of this 'conspiracy' and misuse of statistics too?

Britain's weather is also uniquely affected by the gulf stream much of the time, often keeping us milder in (a normal) winter and cooler than other countries in an average summer. Beyond the English Channel, though, summers are becoming hotter - often unbearably and dangerously so.

And like I also said, the fact that you can see snow when you open your front door - that's an increasingly rare, and short-term event. Every winter will have a cold spell or two, but over the last two decades, our winters have been getting milder, and the current snow has become increasingly rare (which is partly why its so newsworthy now). Don't confuse weather (short-term) with climate (long-term).

And while we are having an unusual 'freak' cold spell, along with some other countries, there are also other parts of the world which are experiencing unusually hot/dry weather. That's a manifestation of global warming, an overall trend towards the climate hotting up (and ice caps dangerously melting, thus raising sea levels and leading to more floods, migration of people, wars over dminishing territories and access to resources, and food shortages), but within that overall trend, there will also be increasingly severe or 'freak' weather.

Still, far easier and comforting for people to avoid the truth by belittling and rubbishing those who point out inconvenient truths which might require people to change their lifestyles.

Doubtless, in a few decades time, when it's too late, and the damage is irreversibly done, I bet those who have denied climate change will be the first to complain that 'the government and scientists didn't do enough to warn us? It's their fault or not telling us of the danger.'

Mankind is doubly stupid. Once for f***ing up the world, and secondly, for failing to heed the warnings about what is happening. Perhaps mankind deserves what global warming will eventually do to us for being such dumb creatures. I sometimes think so, sadly.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Again, just 'cos our last three summers have been shite, does not disprove global warming - other parts of Europe, Asia and Australia have had increasingly hot weather in recent years. The clue is in the phrase global warming, not whether Britain's weather is shite or not. The world is a lot bigger than this sceptered (sceptic) isle.

8 of the last 10 years globally have been the hottest on record - is that just a coincidence? Or is that also silly scientists bullshitting everyone to get more money out of the governemnt? In which case, is the melting of the polar ice caps part of this 'conspiracy' and misuse of statistics too?

Britain's weather is also uniquely affected by the gulf stream much of the time, often keeping us milder in (a normal) winter and cooler than other countries in an average summer. Beyond the English Channel, though, summers are becoming hotter - often unbearably and dangerously so.

And like I also said, the fact that you can see snow when you open your front door - that's an increasingly rare, and short-term event. Every winter will have a cold spell or two, but over the last two decades, our winters have been getting milder, and the current snow has become increasingly rare (which is partly why its so newsworthy now). Don't confuse weather (short-term) with climate (long-term).

And while we are having an unusual 'freak' cold spell, along with some other countries, there are also other parts of the world which are experiencing unusually hot/dry weather. That's a manifestation of global warming, an overall trend towards the climate hotting up (and ice caps dangerously melting, thus raising sea levels and leading to more floods, migration of people, wars over dminishing territories and access to resources, and food shortages), but within that overall trend, there will also be increasingly severe or 'freak' weather.

Still, far easier and comforting for people to avoid the truth by belittling and rubbishing those who point out inconvenient truths which might require people to change their lifestyles.

Doubtless, in a few decades time, when it's too late, and the damage is irreversibly done, I bet those who have denied climate change will be the first to complain that 'the government and scientists didn't do enough to warn us? It's their fault or not telling us of the danger.'

Mankind is doubly stupid. Once for f***ing up the world, and secondly, for failing to heed the warnings about what is happening. Perhaps mankind deserves what global warming will eventually do to us for being such dumb creatures. I sometimes think so, sadly.

In the early 1970's climatoligists proposed theory was that globally they thought that we were going into a New ice Age, because this fitted in with the climate/weather of the 60's i.e cold, in the mid 70's and into the 80's there were some very hot years (globally) so the New Ice Age theory got brushed under the carpet and lo and behold global warming comes up.

It seems laughable now about a new ice age, but these very same people are now saying we are going into a period of global warming and they are believed by some as if there word is sacrasanct. They do that because they get mega funding by governments if they say there is a big problem etc, if they say this is all weather which fluctuates they would get 1% of the budget they would get if it didn't say "we are all going to drown because of melting ice caps due to global warming"

The only evidence we have as true individuals is by our own judgment we can all feel that is not happening, not just today but last summer, the winter before that, the summer before that, the winter before that. It is not getting hotter at all, I can remember winters 25/30 years ago where it did not snow at all, not a single flake. I can remember the summer of 76 which was hotter than any summer of the 2000's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here