Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in the car BAN

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Speak for yourself, I'm aware and incapable of quitting for more than a few days :lolol:

and how much notice would you take of a smoking ban in your car if you were driving back from the Amex having seen your team played off the park?? This is not an impossible scenario :lolol:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Speak for yourself, I'm aware and incapable of quitting for more than a few days :lolol:

:) charming. I say aware and don't care because I got forcefed a lot of shit about how I must be personally catastrophically poluting the air, given the fact that the area around my store in new england street is full of these weird marmosets that feed on tofu and sit in gardens protesting

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm a rabid anti-smoker, but agree with many on here, in principle what people do in their own cars is their own business, however you see so many erratic drivers with a fag in their hands, you do have to wonder if a ban on smoking whilst driving might not be a bad idea.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Thankfully, from a personal point of view, the smoking laws havnt hit Czech Rep yet..im sure they will, but as yet...not an issue....have to say, one thing ive noticed here is the amount of young girls that smoke, and thats something that was not really noticeable in other Euro countries ive lived in...they love to smoke here...also noticed more Marijuana is smoked here than anywhere else in EU....UK has the most Cocaine consumption...I know where I prefer to be.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
When someone is smoking in a car and the window is open the smoke just goes straight out the window anyway so to me it doesn't damage anybody else in the car with second hand smoke.

I think it would be a stupid thing to bring in, totally OTT.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I'm a rabid anti-smoker, but agree with many on here, in principle what people do in their own cars is their own business, however you see so many erratic drivers with a fag in their hands, you do have to wonder if a ban on smoking whilst driving might not be a bad idea.

However, the BMA report wasn't concerned with the road safety aspect, it was purely about the dangers of smoking in a confined space, as if we didn't know what they are likely to be! The report said it should be banned even if the driver was the only person in the car in case he/she had a passenger in the car some time later. As other posters have said, smoking with kids in the car is just irresponsible, but that just needs education not a ban. If you are an adult in a car and someone asks/wants to smoke , just say no! Why the f**k does that need legislation?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure the police are going to love trying to enforce this proposal. Absolute bollocks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd say the absolute opposite needs to happen. It's the drip drip of legislation that is fueling the nanny state mentality of those in charge. It's gradually it's happening to the rest of us.

You cannot fight stupidity with laws about every tiny bit of behaviour. You can only fight stupidity by making people less stupid. Educate people properly and let them think for themselves. Tackle the cause, not the symptoms.
I would agree with this.

I'd also say that an effective law is one that is easily enforced and supported by a vast majority of the electorate. I'm not convinced an outright smoking ban is going to fall into either category. And as for the idea of banning smoking with U16s in the car, I'd say this needs more careful consideration too. What is the point in banning smoking in a car if they are still immersed in cigarette smoke at home. I know a car is a confined space, but if a parent is on 40 a day and the children are exposed to smoke 24/7 about the house, what difference is it going to make banning smoking in the car?

Educate people, rather than nanny them.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Wait til they ban it in parks, beaches and public plazas like they have in New York. As if it makes the slightest difference in NYC with all the other crap that gets pumped into the air.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
These doctors are saying that smoke is far more potent in a car than a room. Well f***ing obviously, its a smaller space. But the point is most people smoke with the window open and 95% of the smoke goes out the window. I am a light smoker and generally only smoke when i'm in my runabout (not the family people carrier) getting to work or back. The second you open the window you see the smoke go straight out.

I think its a discrace how smokers are treated. It almost as if holding a fag is as bad as holding a gun. For some people, smoking is their only form of luxury. People that hold a grudge against it are f***ing scum.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'd say the absolute opposite needs to happen. It's the drip drip of legislation that is fueling the nanny state mentality of those in charge. It's gradually it's happening to the rest of us.

You cannot fight stupidity with laws about every tiny bit of behaviour. You can only fight stupidity by making people less stupid. Educate people properly and let them think for themselves. Tackle the cause, not the symptoms.

Agree.Am a non smoker,but this is the thin end of the wedge.What next?....no smoking in one's own home!
This country is already the CCTV capital of the free world and we are in danger of becoming the most legislated against.Whatever happened to personal freedom?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we aren't allowed to eat or drink while at the wheel, why should we be allowed to smoke?
But I don't see what possible problem there can be with passengers smoking, that's just the same as people smoking in your home.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Likewise, I would probably only advocate a ban if children are in the car, it really can't be good for their little lungs to have to inhale second hand fag smoke in such a confined space. If adults want to turn their lungs into something resembling kippers then crack on, you may suffer from a long, lingering and painful death from smoking related diseases but at least it will reduce the burden on the creaking pension system...as long as it doesn't affect your ability to drive safely.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

this

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How on earth did the previous generation manage to survive, smoking in the car, no seatbelts, both parents smoking at home and all the industrial pollution. Are people any healthier now than they were 40 years ago? The average lifespan has increased by about 5 or 6 years but how much of that is self realisation and not legislation?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just walked the kids to school this morning and saw at least 3 separate parents smoking in their car with their kids in the back.

You've got to be some kind of complete selfish tw*t of a moron to want to subject your kids to that just for the sake of a quick fag in the car. This is why we end up with a nanny state, because there are too many friggin idiots that unless legislation is bought in, they can't use their own common sense.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just walked the kids to school this morning and saw at least 3 separate parents smoking in their car with their kids in the back.

You've got to be some kind of complete selfish tw*t of a moron to want to subject your kids to that just for the sake of a quick fag in the car. This is why we end up with a nanny state, because there are too many friggin idiots that unless legislation is bought in, they can't use their own common sense.

Was the window open or closed?

Mar 13, 2008
What if your not driving?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here