Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in the car BAN

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Being an ex-smoker of around 40 a day I found it incredibly difficult not to smoke in the car, especially on long journeys, but the amount of times I have taken my eyes of the road to (a) light a cigarette, (b) throw one out of the window, (c) concentrate enough on the motorway to flcik ash out of the window, actually scares me now. God knows how I didn't kill myself or family. Smoking should be banned in cars, I wholeheartedly agree.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Being an ex-smoker of around 40 a day I found it incredibly difficult not to smoke in the car, especially on long journeys, but the amount of times I have taken my eyes of the road to (a) light a cigarette, (b) throw one out of the window, (c) concentrate enough on the motorway to flcik ash out of the window, actually scares me now. God knows how I didn't kill myself or family. Smoking should be banned in cars, I wholeheartedly agree.

For that reason alone smoking should be banned in cars

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Hmmm every day i drive anywhere I see numerous drivers driving whilst holding and talking into their mobile phones. Maybe enforce the laws that are already in place before bringing in more laws that the already overstretched police force won't have the man hours to deal with. Fwiw I'm a smoker but I never smoke with my boy in the car.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will we be banning the national habit of nose picking whilst driving as well. Sticking a fag in your mouth is no more dangerous than sticking your finger up your nose or leaning forward to change the radio station.

Last time I checked my nose wasn't ON FIRE, in a car that runs on PETROL.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Enough already. This country is turning into everything we fought against in two world wars among others. Fine where kids are concerned, I have no problem with that. But an outright ban is well OTT. If people cannot judge when it is dangerous to light up, then maybe they shouldn't be driving at all. Smoking is stupid but not illegal, as an adult I have the right to choose to smoke or not.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
an outright ban is OTT/unnecessasary, however I think it should be illegal if under 16's are in the car

Same. Subjecting kids to passive smoking in a very small enclosed space is idiotic. And if some people are too dumb to understand that then it needs to be legislated against.

I'd say the absolute opposite needs to happen. It's the drip drip of legislation that is fueling the nanny state mentality of those in charge. It's gradually it's happening to the rest of us.

You cannot fight stupidity with laws about every tiny bit of behaviour. You can only fight stupidity by making people less stupid. Educate people properly and let them think for themselves. Tackle the cause, not the symptoms.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No problem with people smoking in their car when stopped, but would rather they refrained whilst they're actually driving.

Yea I agree, its bloody difficult rolling a decent sized spliff while doing 80mph on the M23.:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last time I checked my nose wasn't ON FIRE, in a car that runs on PETROL.

Never heard of anyone setting their car on fire whilst smoking, nice NSC over reaction there though :thumbsup:

*waitsforMellotrontofindsomerandomcarfireinthailandcausedbysmokingtoproveapoint*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never heard of anyone setting their car on fire whilst smoking, nice NSC over reaction there though :thumbsup:

*waitsforMellotrontofindsomerandomcarfireinthailandcausedbysmokingtoproveapoint*

Nope. But suggesting the two things are EQUALLY as dangerous when one involves fire and one doesn't, is just incorrect.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anything that distracts you from the act of driving is surely a bad thing?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

In that case they should ban lookers from walking on pavements.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

There was a case on TV a few years ago where a VW camper van went up when one of the occupants was smoking. Might have been a herbal fag though ;)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Giving driving licences to hesitant shit drivers is also a bad thing but we just accept it. I'll go along with banning smoking in a car, if we can ban stereos in cars, nose picking, arguing and looking at your passenger when you are talking whilst driving.

Not smoking with kids in the car is something people should know without a law to enforce it and those who do it will give two fingers to the law anyway, they'll probably be on a mobile at the same time too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Don't drive hungry
Don't drive if there is a danger of thinking of anything other than driving
Don't drive if you might need a piss
Don't drive if you're attractive and can't help looking at yourself in the mirror

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Giving driving licences to hesitant shit drivers is also a bad thing but we just accept it. I'll go along with banning smoking in a car, if we can ban stereos in cars, nose picking, arguing and looking at your passenger when you are talking whilst driving.

Not smoking with kids in the car is something people should know without a law to enforce it and those who do it will give two fingers to the law anyway, they'll probably be on a mobile at the same time too.

I think some people think they can do more or less anything when driving when in fact you should try and reduce distractions to a minimun. If the kids are distracting you then you really should pull over.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
i myself being a smoker, absolutely flew of the handle when he said we're helping you help yourself' in a reallly smug voice. It's not like we're afraid of the possible consequences of smoking, we're aware, and we don't care.

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
i myself being a smoker, absolutely flew of the handle when he said we're helping you help yourself' in a reallly smug voice. It's not like we're afraid of the possible consequences of smoking, we're aware, and we don't care.

Speak for yourself, I'm aware and incapable of quitting for more than a few days :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here