Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slow Cookers

This is not true. If it did then casseroles made with sealed meat would taste very bland. What browning the meat actually does is start the Maillard reaction which creates meaty, caramelised flavours.

Well thats 20 years of my life down the swanny then.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is not true. If it did then casseroles made with sealed meat would taste very bland. What browning the meat actually does is start the Maillard reaction which creates meaty, caramelised flavours.

3rd post and you are telling seasoned posters what to do with their slow cookers. Shows a certain amount of confidence :thumbsup:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Well ya gotta start somewhere.

Hillian1 - browning the meat definitely has an effect - just doesn't make meat juicier. Your life has not been wasted.:)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I recently got a 'crock pot'. Large ceramic bowl, two temps, bloody brilliant. Veggies in it are ok but you need to use 'hard' veg (carrots, parsnips etc). I sometimes lob peas in with an hour or two to go. Chilli con carne cooked for 7-8 hours is brilliant - works well with cubes of steak or mince, and a good mixture of beans which also fare well in the thing and develop a great texture (cannellini, red kidney and borlotti for example). Add diced red and green peppers later on if you want a bit of crunch, and some gravy granules to thicken it up a bit if needed :)

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I have this one and it's excellent (not that I've ever had another one to compare it with).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Jame...6131&sr=8-1&keywords=andrew+james+slow+cooker

It's fairly small though, I guess, so if you had a large family you may want a larger one.

Actually, there's a bigger version.https://andrewjamesworldwide.com/Us...roductID=310&gclid=CLaQh9rA18MCFfHKtAodNj0AEg

I have the 6.5lt Andrew James, Does the job well. They do one with a timer on as well for another £10 or so.

Always good for stews but I have also done porridge in it overnight ready for breakfast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here