Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slade: It's all about Dickinson

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The only thing that worry's me is the lack of goals pre-season from the strikers ( Hart excepted ) lets hope they find those scoring boots b4 the season starts proper...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This is getting silly, how can you judge a player on about 100 mins of pre season football when it looks like (judging by the results) the team have been pretty poor altogether. Here's one for you, how about giving him at least 5 competitive games before you slag him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The only thing that worry's me is the lack of goals pre-season from the strikers ( Hart excepted ) lets hope they find those scoring boots b4 the season starts proper...

I think that's right - missing chances I could live with at this stage of pre-season but we are not creating much and that's cause for legitimate concern.

It just needs that one player though - could be Thornhill and/or the mystery left sided wide man that Slade is looking for.....otherwise the squad is beginning to look good for a potential top ten finish if we can start to create chances

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
went to Crawley on Friday night, Forster stood out from all the strikers (no suprise really) Murray is an asset no question, Davies worked his arse off and looked quite decent apart from his one chance which he fluffed, Dickinson was poor he seems to want to run in behind the defence as opposed to holding the ball up, the problem is that he isn't fast, he won sod all in the air but his touch and reading of the game looked decent so i will sit on my fence untill iv seen him a few times. Midfield is a problem we dont seem to have an central midfielder who is attack minded and comfortable on the ball unless we can carry Cox in that mould ...

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Now dont get me wrong, I think the signing of Dickinson will prove a very worthy one. Weve obviously beaten off others to secure his services, he scored goals at this level, is a little bit raw and rough round the edges and im sure will have a good season scoring maybe 20+ goals.

But since he has arrived...all i seem to read and hear from Slade is...."who will I play with Dickinson".

Now If im not mistaken, we have Forster & Murray who together were succesful....I dont like the fact its all pointing towards Dickinson starting whatever he is performing like.

At the end of the day I might be wrong, but surely its the best partnership that works....not the best player to play with Dickinson.

A Hart/Murray combo would be an interesting one......or Murray/Forster with Dickinson just behind.

What do people so far having attended some freindlies think slade will start with?

I've got a huge feeling this season, that Fozzie will be on the bench. And Dickinson will be upfront with Davies/Hart. Murray will inventionally go somewhere north, so we'll be with Dickinson, Fozzie, Hart and Davies so Slade will pick whoever is in form.....

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
I've seen Dickinson play once at Dons, and he was a class above every player there, didn't do a lot in 45 mins but what he did showed he was class, all players obv not at their best as its pre season etc etc thus all there touches all over th e shop at times, but Dickinson looked so much better than Davies, Murray, and Hart but then again was only against Dons.

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Dicko is not a target man, don't immediately assume that as he is tall he should be getting on the end of long balls winning flick ons and heading goals. I think that is the mistake a lot of managers have made, it took the genius of Gannon to unleash his real strengths and he is best with the ball played to feet using his strength to get behind the defenders.

At county he did score some with his head, but the majority (probably 90%) were with his feet. Two goals I can think of that optimise the type of player he is are his goals in the Playoffs last year. The one against Wycombe in the semi final (1:40) and the goal that finished off the final at Wembley (4:30). YouTube - Stockport County League Two Play-Off Winners 2008 (sorry this messageboard doesn't let me embed in the normal way.)

He is a great player who will score plenty of goals if he is played in a good footballing team. He will not play well in a team that hoofs the ball up to him. If he is played right I have no doubt he will be a huge success. I do also think he is probably down on confidence too after such a crap year at Derby. He should have stayed at County for another year or at least until January.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is a great player who will score plenty of goals if he is played in a good footballing team. He will not play well in a team that hoofs the ball up to him. .

Thanks for that..I can't help but think "Oh dear"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here