Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SKY retain major Premier League rights

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
IMO their coverage is generally poor*

*even if it was excellent the average is brought down to UNBEARABLE levels because of that **** robbie savage.

The pundit's chattering doesn't really hold much interest for me. Overblown hype for the upcoming match of which Sky is equally guilty of. My only interest is in watching the game itself and BT Sport is a cheaper alternative to Sky (for whom I dislike intensely). If I want to see analysis I'll watch MOTD.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Because, if you think about it, those minority sports are not getting a good deal at the expense of the
Premier League.
Personally Sky have done British football no favours - just made an overpriced, hyped up product that is no better than 50 years ago.

I do agree with that sentiment 100%. Sky has not helped British football at all. But I don't think you can point the finger at individuals who pay a reasonable fee to watch what is quite a good service (not the high price some would have you believe).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Richest league in the world yet English grass roots football struggles with shit facilities and few coaches and the national team is a total and utter joke lumbering from one failure to the next. Go figure.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The gulf between the Top and the rest is now plain stupid.

The expectation for those wishing to achieve promotion is plainly going to be down to money and the gamble of forgetting FFP and having a very wealthy chairman. There will be no other choice but to gamble, it's as simple as that. The more that gamble the less the chance of achieving the goal. More clubs in debt the simple outcome.

It's a sad day for the average supporter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All I care about is what this is going to mean for parachute payments. It won't be long before the top 6 championship will be exclusively Prem yoyo clubs.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Whichever way you look at it, £5.1bn for the Premier League - before gate receipts and sponsorship deals have been taken into account - has just completely ****ed competitive professional football in England for good.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Getting rid of Sky tomorrow after 8 years, they did very little to retain my custom and were very arrogant and patronising when I suggested i could get a better deal with Virgin. Unfortunately most of their employees seem to believe they are superior and suffer a collective form of corporate arrogance, they more or less sneered down the phone at me when I suggested Virgin offered a comparable product at a reasonable price, in fact it annoyed me so much I decided to ditch them whatever they offered me. As it turned out they didnt offer me a better deal or even come anywhere close to matching what Virgin were offering and so I'm finally binning Sky. I got a call from Sky a week later asking if they could ask some questions about why I was leaving, I politely suggested that perhaps they should have asked these before I left and declined to answer them. Virgin are offering a similar package plus 4 times quicker broadband, an extra Tivo box and Netflix (for what its worth!) and I get BT sport so get a little footy. I will save over £300 over the course of the contract compared to Sky and that was after Sky offered me their 'best' deal.
You probably went about it the wrong way in getting a better Sky deal. I just signed up for the Variety package which was £14 for 12 months and a £50 pre paid credit card.I will be leaving Sky when my contract is up unless they match my current offer.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This so called "obscene" amount of money is a great deal for our beloved game.

Players wages will stay the same

There will be massive reductions in ticket prices

Millions will be left spare for stadium improvements.

Millions will be fed into grass roots football to finally bring the England national team up to serious contenders on the world stage. Our youngsters coming through will whilst sitting on the bench with the B teams finally be on a level playing field with the highest paid footballers in the world.

I dont know why people are getting so arsey about this,its not as if the football chairmen are going to use the extra cash to pay the players ever further crazy wages then ask the fans to pick up the bill with higher gate prices.

i mean that would be crazy mental...........wouldnt it?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Great News: If you're a footballer.

Or an agent

meanwhile 100`s of thousands of football spectators are all asking the same question.

when this madness finally implodes and your money game crashes with clubs going bust why on earth did you fracking ignore what the fans were telling you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or an agent

meanwhile 100`s of thousands of football spectators are all asking the same question.

when this madness finally implodes and your money game crashes with clubs going bust why on earth did you fracking ignore what the fans were telling you.

It won't go bust, compared to the NFL TV deal the PL one is still small beer, and the games are sold out most of the time. It's a great piece of negotiation from Scudamore and co.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have very little interest in what Sky show. I don't feel like I'm missing anything and do not need my morals applauded. I just don't want it.

Same here, I've got BT Sport purely because I was already with BT when it launched and hasn't cost me any more (in fact they phoned my up last year and reduced my monthly charge). I very rarely watch Premier League matches on there, I just don't have enough interest especially to pay a stupid amount to Sky for it. If they did a cheap sports package without the Premier League so I could at least watch the cricket then I'd be more inclined to subscribe, but in order to watch cricket I'd have to fund the Premier League.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My ideal world (away with the fairies):

• Club Transfer Fund Cap
  • Player Wage Cap
  • Minimum of 7 English players on the field at all times
  • Ticket price cap
    - All of the above for Leagues Prem-League 2.
  • Sky Sports a flat rate at £10.00 p/m
  • Free Pies

**and wakes up**

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Would love to see each PL club mandated to give a few million each per year (drop in the ocean) towards a pot of money that can be given to local councils to build all weather football pitches in their areas. 50/60m each year reinvested into grassroots and kid's football facilities - think of the benefit in 20 years time for English talent.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
It won't go bust, compared to the NFL TV deal the PL one is still small beer, and the games are sold out most of the time. It's a great piece of negotiation from Scudamore and co.

The English professional game as a whole probably won't go bust, save some major change such as the formation of a European Super League which would render the remaining Premier League rights worth 70% of nothing, but clubs certainly will.

Currently there are a number of Championship clubs with very large debts indeed, and the debts of relegated clubs will increase as a result of this new TV deal. Unless those clubs bounce back quickly their debts will become unmanageable. We've also seen what the promise of these false riches does to clubs in the lower divisions, this has a knock-on effect in itself as even very modest clubs have to spend more just to maintain their existing level.

The feeding of more money into the top level increases the risk to all but the top half dozen clubs.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
spence----you gave me a thumbs down for post #31:moo:---- question---are you gay :safeway:

Or are you just at a loose end and don't know:)

Jan 30, 2008
The gulf between the Top and the rest is now plain stupid.

The expectation for those wishing to achieve promotion is plainly going to be down to money and the gamble of forgetting FFP and having a very wealthy chairman. There will be no other choice but to gamble, it's as simple as that. The more that gamble the less the chance of achieving the goal. More clubs in debt the simple outcome.

It's a sad day for the average supporter.
honest post but what is your average supporter these days
OAP with disposable income ? JCL single no responsibility?, Familly man with young children? Proffesional with lots of money ? take your pick
regards
DR

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
honest post but what is your average supporter these days
OAP with disposable income ? JCL single no responsibility?, Familly man with young children? Proffesional with lots of money ? take your pick
regards
DR

The demographics of supporters is more and more irrelevant. All the Premiership clubs could offer free entry given the small amount of that gate receipts have on their balance sheets. The problem is that you will never see again the likes of Nottingham Forest or Ipswich winning the the league unless they are "promoted" using a mega-rich owner. The club that suddenly gets their payday has become a franchise. Look at Man City a struggling top/second division club, large fan base but moderate investment. Suddenly bang, like Chelsea, they're the biggest club in the country. To the Arabs/Russian it could have been any club, they picked City and Chelsea. Is it jealousy? Possibly but I for one would prefer to see honest good hard work reap the benefit not simple ill gotten gains.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here