Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SKY retain major Premier League rights

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It's very noble to not pay Sky for the benefit of football, but basically I enjoy watching my sport (it's not really about the PL for me) and I need to keep myself occupied in some ways, so paying quite a reasonable price by market standards to watch it seems ok to me. If you follow the logic that you should boycott any service or goods that don't always make the world a better place then sadly you'd probably need to go and live in a tent somewhere and have no communication with the outside world. I agree that Sky isn't good for football, but I reckon there's bigger fights and I don't think people are mugs for spending a small chunk of their income to watch sports in their home.

Agreed. In comparison to some things, it really isnt that bad. If you ONLY watch Premier League football, then its awful, but if your watching a few hours a day, then it works out under a pound a day.

That said, Sky on the whole is fairly expensive, so any increases made will make me think about cancelling.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Getting rid of Sky tomorrow after 8 years, they did very little to retain my custom and were very arrogant and patronising when I suggested i could get a better deal with Virgin. Unfortunately most of their employees seem to believe they are superior and suffer a collective form of corporate arrogance, they more or less sneered down the phone at me when I suggested Virgin offered a comparable product at a reasonable price, in fact it annoyed me so much I decided to ditch them whatever they offered me. As it turned out they didnt offer me a better deal or even come anywhere close to matching what Virgin were offering and so I'm finally binning Sky. I got a call from Sky a week later asking if they could ask some questions about why I was leaving, I politely suggested that perhaps they should have asked these before I left and declined to answer them. Virgin are offering a similar package plus 4 times quicker broadband, an extra Tivo box and Netflix (for what its worth!) and I get BT sport so get a little footy. I will save over £300 over the course of the contract compared to Sky and that was after Sky offered me their 'best' deal.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
For all of you who refuse to pay for Sky I applaud your morals.

Enjoy the Netball and Badminton on BBC. Perhaps some women's football if you are lucky.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Premier League is now the second biggest franchise in the world after the NFL as far as TV rights are concerned.

Mind blowing really. Outside of the top few clubs, the Premier League is distinctly average but expertly marketed as something unmissable and stuffed full of quality when in reality there are a vast number of dull games with little appeal beyond the fan base of either club.

I enjoy watching the highlights on MotD on a Saturday night, but I can't imagine I would ever want to spend 2 hours on a Monday night watching Stoke City vs Aston Villa or Leicester vs Sunderland on a Sunday afternoon.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Enjoy the Netball and Badminton on BBC. Perhaps some women's football if you are lucky.

Netball Super League is already on Sky :lol:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Oh to be Gareth Bale. Getting a little bit of flak in Spain so what a great time to start sniffing round for a return to the prem.

What do we reckon £400 k a week.?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sooner or later I'm going to ditch Sky Sports.
It's too fecking dear considering I can't watch most of it.
This is due to my wife wearing my trousers:moo:

Probably because she can't wear your Albion winter coat anymore.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
"Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said the money raised from the auction would be invested by clubs in making improvements to stadiums as well as "youth development and good causes" and said clubs would continue to "put on the best matches that they can".

The Premier League plans to invest £56m in grassroots projects, including 50 artificial pitches."

Yeah and players earn stupid amounts of money, which is where most of the increase will go.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I have very little interest in what Sky show. I don't feel like I'm missing anything and do not need my morals applauded. I just don't want it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Will be interesting to see how SKY fund this deal through their business model.

As things stand they are paying 83% more than currently, but with only 10 more matches to generate incremental advertising revenue. Their own analysts have admitted that they have paid £330m more than they forecast / planned to, so that shortfall will have to be found elsewhere.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone cancelled their subscriptions to Sky Sports. Sadly, it will never happen.

Why should all the NFL, cricket, Spanish footy and rugby fans feel compelled to cancel relatively reasonably-priced sports because of the money they put into premiership football?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Why should all the NFL, cricket, Spanish footy and rugby fans feel compelled to cancel relatively reasonably-priced sports because of the money they put into premiership football?
Because, if you think about it, those minority sports are not getting a good deal at the expense of the
Premier League.
Personally Sky have done British football no favours - just made an overpriced, hyped up product that is no better than 50 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here