Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SKY retain major Premier League rights

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Well, its more worth it than ever now, especially with the £100M just for finishing last - even clubs coming up from League 1 will probably go for it. Hopefully it results in an exciting Championship next season.

It should also be noted that Football League slots on Sky will probably now be Saturday Evenings and 1PM Sunday, due to Sky getting the Friday night and Saturday Early KO slots.
Every year it's worth more than ever.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Even Barber may turn around and say "F*ck it, we are going to have to go for it now" - the reward is better than the loss if you get there.

It probably now also makes the Championship Play-Off final the most expensive game in football by miles.

of course this all supposes that we are still in the championship next season and not in League 1, and that is not a given.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Only when the mugs stop paying subscriptions.

£25 quid a month - gives me probably MINIMUM two football matches a week that keeps me entertained for 2 hours each. 4 months of the year I get 6 hrs entertainment watching the NFL a week. I also dip into the rugby and various other sports - gaelic football in the summer etc. If you do the maths, each time I sit down to watch a sporting event it probably costs me 1-2 quid.

Half hour in the pub (ie a pint) costs about £4. A cinema ticket, which lasts the same length as a footy match, costs £10. Getting the bus into town costs £2.40.

It's a luxury that I don't need but I don't feel like a mug.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
When is the Championship not exciting?

Realistically the last 2 seasons its not been brilliant - its been the same teams near the top since the start of the season. With every team going for it, it should result it being tighter than ever which would result in exciting matches each week.

Will probably kill off the excitement in the "best league in the world" though, since all teams will get a bumper payday regardless of how dire a season they have. Not to mention the 2nd season of the rights with the increased parachute payments will probably have an effect on the Championship too, increasing the gap further.

of course this all supposes that we are still in the championship next season and not in League 1, and that is not a given.

Relegation this season could therefore prove to be an even bigger problem.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Refuse to subscribe to these obscene amounts.

Plenty of other interests to get involved in so restrict myself to paying to watch Albion only.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I fear this will just mean even higher wages, yet more foreign players, overseas ownership and resultant loss of identity. Little will find its way to grass roots football because 'greed is good' and the Premier League clubs will want to hang on to as much of it as they possibly can.

I'm in my early 50's now and have always massively loved football but my interest in top flight football is rapidly diminishing. Have never subscribed to Sky through choice. I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way about modern football.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sooner or later I'm going to ditch Sky Sports.
It's too fecking dear considering I can't watch most of it.
This is due to my wife wearing my trousers:moo:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ticket revenue virtually counts for nothing now in football finances in the top flight. At least in the football league fans do have a value.

As for Sky I've never paid for it and never will

There is no good news here for the average football fan, in fact apart from the players and a few exec's I'm struggling to find anyone that benefits

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
£25 quid a month - gives me probably MINIMUM two football matches a week that keeps me entertained for 2 hours each. 4 months of the year I get 6 hrs entertainment watching the NFL a week. I also dip into the rugby and various other sports - gaelic football in the summer etc. If you do the maths, each time I sit down to watch a sporting event it probably costs me 1-2 quid.

Half hour in the pub (ie a pint) costs about £4. A cinema ticket, which lasts the same length as a footy match, costs £10. Getting the bus into town costs £2.40.

It's a luxury that I don't need but I don't feel like a mug.

Well if you're evaluating it against going to the pub or cinema then perhaps not. That wasn't my logic for not wanting to contribute to the absurd financial excess that is PL football

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I only currently get BT because I have their broadband, and it's 'free/included'

They will probably, in fact almost certainly, increase their charges, and I will probably ditch them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Well if you're evaluating it against going to the pub or cinema then perhaps not. That wasn't my logic for not wanting to contribute to the absurd financial excess that is PL football

It's very noble to not pay Sky for the benefit of football, but basically I enjoy watching my sport (it's not really about the PL for me) and I need to keep myself occupied in some ways, so paying quite a reasonable price by market standards to watch it seems ok to me. If you follow the logic that you should boycott any service or goods that don't always make the world a better place then sadly you'd probably need to go and live in a tent somewhere and have no communication with the outside world. I agree that Sky isn't good for football, but I reckon there's bigger fights and I don't think people are mugs for spending a small chunk of their income to watch sports in their home.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On top of this mind boggling sum, Scudamore has just said on the news that the International rights are still yet to be awarded. Last time they were £2 billion by themselves!

SKY business analyst expected a huge rise when they are announced too.

Premier League is now the second biggest franchise in the world after the NFL as far as TV rights are concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here