Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Nick Clegg ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What would have happened if Cleggy, (Sir Nick,my arse) hadn't supported a coalition Tory/ LD Government?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Lots of us about, 48% of the population who bothered to vote in fact.

I rather think of him as a leader of a party that actively opposed the Amex Stadium being built. He also shat away the one chance of proportional representation being introduced (as promised) in favour of licking Camerons arse.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Regardless of politics, since when have names on the New Year's or Birthday Honours lists been leaked to the press?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
And many former Brexiteers have seen the error of their ways, but as l say, let's not reignite this whole argument again. All too late now, we will reluctantly have to let 'democracy' take it's course.

Yes I am "reluctantly" watching Junker having to backtrack on his tax free concessions to Apple, IKEA, Google and Amazon and who knows how many others now that his Democratic "presidency" i certainly didnt vote for the representative of 5000 (not even close to my constituency in Brighton) people is coming to an end over us.

Stupid me thinking that the leader of "democracy" might actually be answerable to us rather than the millionaire tax haven that he represents.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes I am "reluctantly" watching Junker having to backtrack on his tax free concessions to Apple, IKEA, Google and Amazon and who knows how many others now that his Democratic "presidency" i certainly didnt vote for the representative of 5000 (not even close to my constituency in Brighton) people is coming to an end over us.

Stupid me thinking that the leader of "democracy" might actually be answerable to us rather than the millionaire tax haven that he represents.

:bla::bla::whisky::bla:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just out of interest - slight, admittedly, but definitely there - did you (a) spend the Millenium years supporting the Blair government and doing what you could to help it work towards its aims or (b) argue against it in a way that didn't break the law whilst doing what you could - by becoming an activist with an opposition party perhaps - to encourage the nation in a different direction?

If your answer is B then your criticism of remain supporters for doing the same smacks of hypocracy.

(By the way, If you decide to respond please don't invoke the tired old cliche of Remainers refusing to 'accept' the result. Every Remainer I know accepts the result happened. That doesn't mean they can't work for it to be reversed, or its damage limited. Just as thousands of Tory and UKIP members did for years when pursuing their own causes. Having one rule for those who agree with you and another for those that don't is a mark of fanaticism.)
I think you'll find there is no such thing as hypocracy. Now move on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You mean he will happily go on to have a few lucrative directorships/sinecures somewhere? Yes, you're probably right - that's often the 'fate' of failed politicians. Just fewer opportunities now that Brussels doesn't offer a few extra chances, eh?

Indeed, after being shafted by May for shafting Boris and the Tory party, Michael Gove was welcomed back to Rupert Murdoch's Times with open arms.You should try to read Private Eye for a few editions, you will then see the moneygoround of directorships and jobs for the boys in a new light.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I have no issue with Clegg getting a knighthood.

Yes tuition fees was a disaster and one that he could and should have avoided. However raising the tax earning limits, pupil premium, free school meals for early years and key stage 1 were all noble causes. Dont forget he also got a referendum on proportional representation and held up pro tory boundary changes because conservatives had reneged on reforming the house of lords

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Personally I couldn't give a monkeys which time serving, lickspittle, political Pygmy, receives these quite ridiculous baubles. We ridicule foreign potentates for their row upon row of fake medals, awards, and shiny trinkets, and yet, we as a supposedly modern country, hand out the monarchs favours to just about anyone, a majority of whom are only doing their job.
I give you, Sade, Barbara Windsor, numerous politicians, Oficers in the armed forces, and local Government officials
And, I haven't even mentioned, Saville, Rolf Harris, Stuart Hall, Jeffery Archer etc.

So very much this.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm still not convinced that this isn't a joke - why would he get a knighthood? How is there ANY argument that he should get one for doing a pretty irrelevant job for just 5 years.

If being Deputy PM qualifies you for a knighthood, regardless of what happened during the tenure, then the whole system is even more pointless than it seems.

And where's Tony Blair's knighthood for being the Prime Minister for 10 years?

Same place as Gordon Brown's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here