Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All politicians spout the same rubbish

When the Tories are in power Labour always vote against and would do the opposite.
I can't believe someone has posted this just after a few days after the Tory government relied on Labour votes to get its Northern Irish measures through,

Someone doesn't pay much attention to politics

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You can safely vote for Starmer then. The radical left, he is not. I'd compare him to Cameron. So second thoughts, you probably wouldn't want to vote for him either.
It's all very well safely voting for nice Mr Starmer, but he brings Angela Rayner in tow. I find her anger and unfettered unpleasantness over everything and anything even slightly Tory in outlook quite intimidating. I'm sure plenty will love her northern bluntness and passion, but I'm a polite southerner. She fills me with dread with what financial horrors she would bring to bear on the average, white, fairly middle class man like me. There is so much to dislike about the Tories at the moment that it would be a shame if she alienates and drives back the Tory voters who might be wavering.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's all very well safely voting for nice Mr Starmer, but he brings Angela Rayner in tow. I find her anger and unfettered unpleasantness over everything and anything even slightly Tory in outlook quite intimidating. I'm sure plenty will love her northern bluntness and passion, but I'm a polite southerner. She fills me with dread with what financial horrors she would bring to bear on the average, white, fairly middle class man like me. There is so much to dislike about the Tories at the moment that it would be a shame if she alienates and drives back the Tory voters who might be wavering.
Then you should vote conservative again, just like you did last time and take responsibility for where we are now :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well there is a pretty obvious way of helping the economy grow. All it would need is for this trend of the last 2 years to continue for another 18 months.

View attachment 159010
https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

And I'm pretty sure that would prompt a discussion on CU or SM membership from any incoming Government :wink:
Starmer has stated that Labour want Britain to have the highest growth in the G7.

There is only one way of doing that (clue, it’s not by taking advantage of Brexit opportunities).

He won’t and shouldn’t indicate how we’ll get this growth in detail until he has the keys to No.10. Then it’s time for a honest discussion with the electorate, if you want that growth, the economy will have to come first again.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“We need the leader of the opposition to outline workable, easy to understand policies that benefit the majority of the population and not just the top 1%”

The leader of the opposition outlines workable, easy to understand policies that benefit the majority of the population and not just the top 1%.

“Well he can promise anything while he’s leader of the opposition, can’t he! Probably a load of rubbish”

NSC, please never change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
“We need the leader of the opposition to outline workable, easy to understand policies that benefit the majority of the population and not just the top 1%”

The leader of the opposition outlines workable, easy to understand policies that benefit the majority of the population and not just the top 1%.

“Well he can promise anything while he’s leader of the opposition, can’t he! Probably a load of rubbish”

NSC, please never change.
Reading this thread, I love the way some posters try to do subtle, regardless of all their other posts :facepalm:

But to be fair, if it turns out that they are significant investors in one of Rishi's syndicates, or got a dodgy PPE contract through the illegal fast track program, me and you would look fairly silly, wouldn't we :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
She fills me with dread too….. the thought of her at my bedroom door dressed in black fishnets, thigh high leather stiletto boots & a black leather camisole pushing her ample bosom to the sky would have me running to the door, and closing it behind her 😉

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
She fills me with dread too….. the thought of her at my bedroom door dressed in black fishnets, thigh high leather stiletto boots & a black leather camisole pushing her ample bosom to the sky would have me running to the door, and closing it behind her 😉
I’m sure there an opt out box you can tick on your polling form.

Nice that you’ve thought about her in such, uhm, detail.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Starmer has stated that Labour want Britain to have the highest growth in the G7.
Not want to but Will have the highest sustainable growth in the G7 - by the end of his first term.

Whilst it is basic economics to measure who has the highest growth in a given period, I’m not sure there actually are any methods of measuring what is sustainable and what is unsustainable. So a claim which, whilst it can’t be proven wrong can’t be proven right either

Statements like this are some of the issues I have with his 10 pledges and 5 missions. Leaves himself open to attack too easily.

Keep it simple - win the election then govern

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I shall judge them on what they do and my expectations are low so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Given the utter mess they will inherit I am not expecting a magic wand to be wafted to fix it all. The damage done over the last decade or so will require more than one parliament to fix.

What I would like to see is an honest assessment of the issues we face and a genuine attempt to address them. If they refuse to raise additional revenue I am not interested in listening to them bang on about affordability for the 'things they would like to do'. Windfall taxes, tax havens, loopholes, the top rate and yes the equalisation of CGT should all at least be in the discussion as to how the government can raise revenue and actually get stuff done.

There also needs to be an honest discussion as regards the impact of Brexit. If the topic of CU or SM membership is not even brought up by the end of the first term it will be a dereliction of duty.

I will enjoy the hell out of an election night that promises the inglorious demise of the most wretched of governments, but after that the new government should be held to account in their efforts to get this country back on some semblance of a track.

I am not expecting miracles, I am however expecting us to be moving in the right direction no matter how slowly. Standing still is not an option.
Yes, not going to disagree with any of that. Despite the fact that the poll leads have been narrowing for a month or two now, this was only to be expected at some point. They've got a long way to go for the Tories to stand any chance of preventing a Starmer majority, and further still to go to secure a further term. I'm not expecting either to happen. Sunak's policy seems to be to crank up migrant hostility and to wait for as long as possible in the hope that some life will return to the economy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You don't like Angie?

Hmmmmm....

My vote-Labourometer has just gone up a notch :thumbsup:

While you're whiling, presumably you'll never vote Tory again while Rees Mogg, Johnson and 100 other melts are on the rosta?

Thought so....

yawn.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
There are very few politicians who I would trust to try and carry out what they said they would and certainly, not the heads of the current two main parties. This current version of Labour will be indecipherable from the Tories once in power
they won't be corrupt or incompetent tho', that's a marked difference from the neo-liberals, already

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
it isnt that at all, its pragmatic reality imho. The old tax this or that for ideological basis rather than realism.

If it works and brings in more, great, Id be delighted, i dont know anyone whos non dom or super wealthy. But I genuinely don't think it will and history shows people and their moeny move, resulting in less tax take overall.

The logical question is, is that is the reality, is that still actually preferable? To enact ideological "class warfare" policies that do little or nothing to benefit treasury?
if the 1% move abroad and take everything they own with them, this would be beneficial to britain in the long term

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I am still a nervous about a Tory comeback, someone told me that Keir has peaked and now dropping in the polls, is this true? Should we get Someone more dynamic to take over before the general election? Hopefully it's just a blip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here