Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Source: The Times

SKS steps up to the plate today in his speech he will say:

“A Labour government will freeze your council tax this year — that’s our choice. A tax cut for the many, not just for the top 1 per cent. We will fund this with a proper windfall tax on Gas and Oil companies”

A good shout 👍
simple, popular and funded

He will also highlight Labour’s pledge to abolish non-dom tax status, using the money to pay for “one of the biggest expansions of the NHS workforce in history”

Another good shout 👍
simple, popular and funded

I thought his 10 pledges and 5 missions were/are problematic, his New Year Speech was lacking in content and last week’s speech in Stoke scratched the surface but largely went unnoticed - however this fits the bill.
If you believe anything Starmer promises then I fear you will be very disappointed. He's the ''chosen'' one for areason. Wont rock the boat etc

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And you've nailed it.....assuming no change to behaviour, thats naivety in the extreme. Of course it changes behaviour. They won't get anywhere near 3B.

If I tax everyone who walks to the shops on a Saturday £20, that's Xmillion who do times £20 = 3BN.

Guess what, the majority won't anymore!

I'm not a supporter of non doms, but I'd hazard a guess that the overall tax take that all non doms bring the treasury through primary and secondary taxation goes down not up when they move, as many will.
The only consideration should be what brings the most overall net revenue in taxation, that factors in reality of human nature.

This is fag packet economics.

The old 'no point in trying to get the wealthy and powerful to pay their fair share of tax' defence. Haven't heard that since Kwarteng used it to justify abolishing the top rate :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And you've nailed it.....assuming no change to behaviour, thats naivety in the extreme. Of course it changes behaviour. They won't get anywhere near 3B.

If I tax everyone who walks to the shops on a Saturday £20, that's Xmillion who do times £20 = 3BN.

I'm not a supporter of non doms, but I'd hazard a guess that the overall tax take that all non doms bring the treasury through primary and secondary taxation goes down not up when they move, as many will.
The only consideration should be what brings the most overall net revenue in taxation, that factors in reality of human nature.

surely you just keep monitoring the tax take and tweek accordingly?

starmer and reeves haven't said, "we've done tax now, so we're going outside to play"

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
All politicians spout the same rubbish

When the Tories are in power Labour always vote against and would do the opposite.
When Labour are in power the Tories will always vote against and want to do the opposite.
a tad oversimplistic

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just hoping he is going the scenic route
Oh I’m sure this ghastly government has every intention of clinging to power by it’s fingernails until the last possible moment.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Wont be long before SKS is emulating 'Prime Minister' Kinnock's 1992 'victory rally' in Sheffield... just days before the Election... :ROFLMAO:
Kinnock.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The apathy in this thread is astonishing. And I'm a pessimistic git at the best of times.
Personally I’m fed up of constant “in your face” politics where everything has to be driven by charisma and bombast, where a politicians worth is judged not by what they say but on how nicely they deliver it. It’s been this way since at least 2016 constantly and it’s well past it’s time now.

I hope Starmer wins as I honestly believe it means we’ll go back to a generally calmer, quieter political landscape without the mad fruitloops like Lee Anderson or Nadine Dorries popping up every five minutes to speak their brains at us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very easy to say they will freeze council tax this year when not in power so its just words.
This is why I keep saying that he should not say what he plans to do. It just triggers people to say he can't, or it won't have any effect etc.

But of course of he does what I want he will be criticized for making no policy announcements.

On this occasion I wonder if perhaps the only labour policies that would suit you are conservativy policies. Oh well, never mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm sure Starmer is far from beyond criticism, but there is no world where the sort of equivalence with the tory government spouted across this thread stands up to any scrutiny.

I also don't believe it is dependent on energy prices. The energy companies have the money right now. They know a labour government is highly probable. They've been warned not to squander the money on director pay and dividends. They should know there is a bill coming whether they do squander it or not. It's the right thing to do.

Personally I would rather see the windfall money spent on social care or public sector pay, but I understand why council tax reductions are a vote winner to the people he need to woo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There's someone who posts on NSC who claims that it is proven that there is nothing that any government might do to tax or spend that has any effect whatsoever on anything. I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell us all about it.

For many, minds are already made up. They will stick with Sunak. Or they will stick with Starmer. I am not sure that the debating on this thread is being done by swing voters :shrug:

borat

Jul 16, 2003
who do you put your trust in?
There are very few politicians who I would trust to try and carry out what they said they would and certainly, not the heads of the current two main parties. This current version of Labour will be indecipherable from the Tories once in power

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT: politician makes popular promises about what to do when being elected.

Sounds like things that would indeed be good for you, but talk is very cheap. I'd be curious to see how many promises made by politicians, in opposition or in power, that actually turn into reality. Probably not that many as a requirement to be a successful politician - in any country - is to be a lying bastard full of shit (and who can blame them? People get tricked into believing in this or that every damn time, learning nothing from the past).
It doesn't matter. The only game in town presently is 'get the tory shower out'.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you believe anything Starmer promises then I fear you will be very disappointed. He's the ''chosen'' one for areason. Wont rock the boat etc
Might win an election because he appeals to moderates etc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is why I keep saying that he should not say what he plans to do. It just triggers people to say he can't, or it won't have any effect etc.

But of course of he does what I want he will be criticized for making no policy announcements.

On this occasion I wonder if perhaps the only labour policies that would suit you are conservativy policies. Oh well, never mind.
there's a difference between having some broad brush policies on major topics, and narrow tax & spending announcments. Starmer should be doing more the former, rather than tired hit and run opposition on issue of the day. if people dont like those strategic policies, he can ignore the complaint, or adjust the policy. its 12-18mths to an election, time to get across ideas, trying to squeeze everything into a 4-6 week election, competing on presentation and electioneering razmataz might not be his strongest hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here