Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not sure that the star striker is needed tbh.
Maupay and Connolly have both improved this season and I expect them to continue their development next year.

We make enough chances we just need the front 2 to improve conversion rates (which is starting to happen, IMO)

Trossard chips in with a decent amount of goals and similarly looks to be improving.
Expecting more goals from midfield next year, now that we;ve signed Lallana and Biss has found his range.

So I don't feel we need a 15-20 goal a season striker, however much we might want one.

If Potter felt a Murray type was needed, then he would have played more than he has.
So it would make sense that a different striker was available on the bench next season.

Personally I would have no objection to seeing Andone back (assuming he has sorted out his mentalness)
Maybe even Gyokeres.

However I don't doubt that if a decent deal is available, then we will swoop accordingly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is going to sound daft, but we need someone that isn't very good that somehow can turn the ball in the net, rather than the options we have atm that work relentlessly for 8-10 goals a season.

Maybe I can't articulate what I'm trying to say but basically the answer is here my friends. Lawrence Shankland.

In PL terms he is economic, allowing us to pour our funds in to the supply lines. Mid table mediocrity here we come. :O

Its not certain that he would score a lot of goals in the PL.. different level you know.

Potter did chase him while at Swansea though.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Its not certain that he would score a lot of goals in the PL.. different level you know.

Is that the guy who played for Ayr United ?

If so Motherwell, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts and Aberdeen all looked at him and didn't follow through with their interest

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
YET AGAIN you are all looking at this wrong. The correct approach would be to choose a player - any player, but ideally the cheaper the better. Get them on a long contract and send them to Leeds for Biesla to mould into an absolute start in 1 month. We scrape survival and then bring the new 100-goal a season striker back into the squad (with our thanks to Leeds).

Obviously this person has to be an existing player, due to the loan rules, and we need to get them over there QUICK, as there will be a huge amount of demand from other clubs to give their players to Leeds for El Loco to improve.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
YET AGAIN you are all looking at this wrong. The correct approach would be to choose a player - any player, but ideally the cheaper the better. Get them on a long contract and send them to Leeds for Biesla to mould into an absolute start in 1 month. We scrape survival and then bring the new 100-goal a season striker back into the squad (with our thanks to Leeds).

Obviously this person has to be an existing player, due to the loan rules, and we need to get them over there QUICK, as there will be a huge amount of demand from other clubs to give their players to Leeds for El Loco to improve.

Don’t be so stupid. That’s not how loans with Leeds work. When you loan Leeds a player, it actually means...he’s THEIR player. We don’t get any choice in the matter at all as we’re ‘strapped for cash’ or some other load of bo***cks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is that the guy who played for Ayr United ?

If so Motherwell, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts and Aberdeen all looked at him and didn't follow through with their interest

Yup. Obviously not good enough or he would be... somewhere. At some point some poor club desperate to win the lottery will sign him up just to see if he is a natural born goalscorer even at a higher level, but it wont be at Brighton.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Murray will get limited game time next season, and we're only an injury away from having very limited striker options. So a striker is needed, but not one that blows our whole budget. I think we'll spend similar money to Maupay.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hello, Maupay is a star £20 million signing. Another star signing to play with him and Arran would be great, however, Connolly and Maupay have combined so well, it looks a promising partnership and I am enjoying watching them develop.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It’s the Scottish championship level and although I love QoS this is a level just above crap. so why not bring back Stephen Dobbie after all he was league top scorer by a mile last year

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Murray will get limited game time next season, and we're only an injury away from having very limited striker options. So a striker is needed, but not one that blows our whole budget. I think we'll spend similar money to Maupay.

Probably this, although with a few sales likely to happen, and the signing of two CL-experienced internationals for PEANUTS, hasn't half helped the transfer kitty.......................

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lolz.

[tweet]1288932421371596801[/tweet]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Not sure that the star striker is needed tbh.
Maupay and Connolly have both improved this season and I expect them to continue their development next year.

We make enough chances we just need the front 2 to improve conversion rates (which is starting to happen, IMO)

Trossard chips in with a decent amount of goals and similarly looks to be improving.
Expecting more goals from midfield next year, now that we;ve signed Lallana and Biss has found his range.

So I don't feel we need a 15-20 goal a season striker, however much we might want one.

If Potter felt a Murray type was needed, then he would have played more than he has.
So it would make sense that a different striker was available on the bench next season.

Personally I would have no objection to seeing Andone back (assuming he has sorted out his mentalness)
Maybe even Gyokeres.

However I don't doubt that if a decent deal is available, then we will swoop accordingly.

That’s all well and good, but what happens when Maupay is injured?

I would love Andone back, I thought he was a great character for us - and a talented player. But alas, seems he’s burnt some bridges.

We need an additional striker. I expect the club to sign one this window.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
People forget Neal Maupay is still a young chap. His best years are still ahead of him.

I wager he’ll kick on and beat his total of 10 this year. He’ll be our ‘star striker’.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I did consider he might not adapt from SL1 to PL and fire 25 goals in his debut campaign, but looking at what he can do with mid tempo floated crosses he would have a field day here. March would become assist king, our corners would actually be dangerous.

Just imagine that...Brighton lining up for a corner without that sense of pointlessness.

But yeah, interesting what you said re: Potter. I didn’t know that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

It needs to only be a half-season loan, though, else after a year they'll be LEEDS THROUGH AND THROUGH.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Neal Maupay...

...beat his total of 10 this year.
Stranger things could happen...

tenor.gif

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I am in the ‘need another striker’ camp simply because 3 is not enough allowing for injury, loss of form, suspension etc. And Muzza is never going to play 90 mins in any game.

Additionally, Maupay is not the best converter. His Xg for last season was 13.5; most of the best strikers have Xg less than goal tally. 3.5 goals is significant; probably equivalent to 3+ points more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here