Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not convinced we need a star striker just somebody to complement what we have.

Very much this. I think both Maupay and Connolly would be more productive with a more developed goal scoring midfield. I actually think we would be wiser spending any bug cash on a Propper upgrade.

If there is another striker coming I don't see them as being top shelf, not that we can shop there anyway.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Not a star but someone who offers a different option in attributes. Pacey, can pass and use his head

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Maupay has been fantastic, my runner up for player of the season. He will definitely be starting for us next year. However I'd still like us to make a marquee striker signing along the lines of Mitrovic to play WITH him, not instead of.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

“Star striker”? What? No.

A striker? Yes. We haven’t replaced Andone.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Realistically we are down to two strikers with neither being a target man. Muzza maybe can chip in occasionally but surely we need a Muzza replacement now, in fact long overdue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I'm perfectly happy with Maupay up top tbh. What we need is to keep the ball better and get him more/better service.

He's been great and worked very well with the chances we've created IMO.

Absolutely agree. He will improve his first touch, and develop. He is very tricky for defenders and once he refines his game I reckon he can be a star. Take Chris Wood as well in a heart beat, really like a Danny Ings but so would everyone.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've strengthened an area that needed strengthening without a fee (plus we've got Alzate and Molumby to come back next season);
We've strengthened an area we didn't expect to strengthen for what is in PL terms a pittance;
It's been a great transfer window so far, so we can spend £40M on a striker without exceeding last summer's budget - and that'll be enough for this window.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Can’t we do both? :shrug: Maupay has been great this season so I wouldn’t want to bench him but I can see the merit in getting him the right strike partner for our 3-5-2 formation or someone to be our ‘plan B’.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We've strengthened an area that needed strengthening without a fee (plus we've got Alzate and Molumby to come back next season);
We've strengthened an area we didn't expect to strengthen for what is in PL terms a pittance;
It's been a great transfer window so far, so we can spend £40M on a striker without exceeding last summer's budget - and that'll be enough for this window.

Still think we need a left back/ wing back. Burn isn’t a full back and Bernardo is seemingly not fancied by Potter. March has done ok when played there but hasn’t been spectacular by any stretch of the imagination. So a new full back is still a must for me.

Ozwald

Dec 8, 2019
I hope we do get a third, reliable goal scorer next season. I can imagine us having a really bad stretch next season if Maupay gets injured for a long period of time. Whilst there are others in the squad that can get balls in the net they come few and far between, and I think the team would suffer if they didn't have the confidence of a reliable goal scorer up front.

It doesn't have to be someone mind blowing, a young striker with 6-8 goals in him and confident and strong with the ball at his feet in the box.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With Brighton going hard already in the transfer window do you think we should look at signing a "star" striker or should we keep starting Maupay going forward? Maupay has been rather good but it is safe to say that he hasn't been "amazing" (except his moments against Arsenal)

Connolly is also showing progress which is rather promising but I personally see Connolly and Maupay as having a similar playstyle.

What do you think? Any possible signings that could take our forwards to the next level?

I've a feeling that what we should do, and what we will do, are two very different things.

Yes, in my opinion we should be looking to sign an established number 9, aka a Murray replacement, but we have been trying to do that for the last two or three seasons, and apart from spending and wasting a shedload of money, got precisely nowhere.

Besides which, Graham Potter likes to adopt a very different playing style to his predecessor, preferring a much more mobile system, so not so much need for a big central striker. Both Connolly and McAllister will have gained more experience, so l've a hunch that we may just make do with the forwards that we already have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still think we need a left back/ wing back. Burn isn’t a full back and Bernardo is seemingly not fancied by Potter. March has done ok when played there but hasn’t been spectacular by any stretch of the imagination. So a new full back is still a must for me.
With midfield strengthened, and another striker recruited - a top one at that - Burn, Bernardo and March can see us through another season, as they have done this last one. New LB would be nice (agree that it's it's our number two priority) but it can wait - what we've got will do for now.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here