Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Chris Wood would be "could do a job" material.

Would be a good signing that would definitely contribute in helping us stay up.

However I believe we need to carry on with what we're doing - signing young, promising players.

We need some height up front - these days it's less important to be built like Akinfenwa. They can always work on their strength.

So, yes, a young striker with a bit of height for me please. To work with and compliment Maupay & Connolly.

Don't care if we break the bank on this one. It's the one position we're desperate for.

Didn't realise that Chris Wood was 28! But then did the timeline back to Withdean. **** me i'm getting old.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I suspect we may do a bit of championship business here depending on how the play offs go.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Sort out the delivery to him and Maupay will be fine. Connolly is improving rapidly. We now have the makings of an impressive midfield so I think next season will see a big improvement.

We haven’t replaced either Locadia or Andone so we may need two. Connolly’s progress has to be set against Murray’s increasingly lesser role

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I hope we do get a third, reliable goal scorer next season. I can imagine us having a really bad stretch next season if Maupay gets injured for a long period of time. Whilst there are others in the squad that can get balls in the net they come few and far between, and I think the team would suffer if they didn't have the confidence of a reliable goal scorer up front.

It doesn't have to be someone mind blowing, a young striker with 6-8 goals in him and confident and strong with the ball at his feet in the box.

Very much agree with this. As well as Maupay has done, if he was to get crocked for a significant period of time we could be in trouble relying then solely on an ageing Murray and a relative novice in Connolly only. Definitely need another forward to complement what we have and to add numbers to that department.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was thinking about that Palace away game last season. We absolutely murdered them for 70 mins. What we needed that night was goals from all over the pitch. In the end Maupay got one but it was games like that which held us back.

I expect us to have similar games next season where we totally boss teams.

We mainly need goals from midfield ( particularly CM ) but another 2 strikers also needed as we would be knackered with injuries.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He has been amazing. Very much doubt there is a better striker available.

Just weird?

Maupay is fine, as will be Connelly. But they would be even better feeding off a partnership with a striker who the opposition are genuinely worried about. A partner who the other team actually spend time planning how to stop him scoring, then hopefully freeing up space for the support attackers.

Yes, an established striker would take us to another level.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes please. But just the one.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just weird?

Maupay is fine, as will be Connelly. But they would be even better feeding off a partnership with a striker who the opposition are genuinely worried about. A partner who the other team actually spend time planning how to stop him scoring, then hopefully freeing up space for the support attackers.

Yes, an established striker would take us to another level.

Maupay is that player. Great PL striker.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Expect Maupay to kick on next season but we need cover in case of injury and a player with different attributes will give us another dimension.

Surely we will be signing a forward...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
With Brighton going hard already in the transfer window do you think we should look at signing a "star" striker or should we keep starting Maupay going forward? Maupay has been rather good but it is safe to say that he hasn't been "amazing" (except his moments against Arsenal)

Connolly is also showing progress which is rather promising but I personally see Connolly and Maupay as having a similar playstyle.

What do you think? Any possible signings that could take our forwards to the next level?

Hi Neil - listen you did a great job this season, hitting double figures and with grace and humility to the fore. I think your burgeoning partnership with young Aaron is exciting and realistically you are already our ‘star’ striker.

https://youtu.be/XLAtlbtUeg4

Lots lot love,

Kosh

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm perfectly happy with Maupay up top tbh. What we need is to keep the ball better and get him more/better service.

He's been great and worked very well with the chances we've created IMO.

That's fine, but what if he is out for 6 weeks?
Can Connolly cut it on his own?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
what about Ryan Fraser from Bournemouth ?. Contract expires soon.
Scrub that, Palarce are trying to sign him, Won't be good enough.

Last edited:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
This is going to sound daft, but we need someone that isn't very good that somehow can turn the ball in the net, rather than the options we have atm that work relentlessly for 8-10 goals a season.

Maybe I can't articulate what I'm trying to say but basically the answer is here my friends. Lawrence Shankland.

In PL terms he is economic, allowing us to pour our funds in to the supply lines. Mid table mediocrity here we come. :O

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Maupay is a very decent player. If he avoids injury I think he's good for a solid 12-15 goals next year, maybe even more.

We definitely need at least one more striker in the squad, possibly two, just because we only have three. One of which is a young, developing striker and another is an ageing one. If we could get another player of similar ability to Maupay we'd be laughing. Ideally he'd be a bit bigger so could play as a target man if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here