Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have closer links with crawley?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Loyalty to Brighton runs through the generations, in towns and villages across most of Sussex (though I would say not in Crawley). The Amex has drawn many lapsed fans back and re-energised dormant ones.

I really don't think Crawley Town have this kind of catchment. There are about 100,000 people in the town and I suspect you'll never get more than about 5% of them going to the club regularly. Good luck to them.

If you live in Henfield, Haywards Heath, East Grinstead etc are you more likely to gravitate to Brighton or Crawley (assuming you're not already a Chelsea/Man U/Liverpool fan watching Sky)? I just don't see Crawley as any kind of threat to our supporter base, even if the unthinkable happened and they got into the Championship and we went down to League 1. I couldn't stand the club in the Majeed/Steve Evans times but these days I just think, good on you, and good luck Richie Barker.

East Grinstead is in the Palace catchment area...

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I have no objection to us loaning them players that we want to keep an eye on, but that is it. I'm old enough to remember when we played them and I hate them almost as much as Palace, well the town anyway...

6k of proper lairy wankers, who fortunately got what they deserved both on and off the pitch!
The last part of your post is a ridiculous statement to make.
We weren't all lairy for Christs sake.
A few on each side were,that's a given...but that was always going to happen.
We both have 23 years of history since then and I would like to say we have made tremendous progress.It wouldn't be 5-0 again if we played now,infact it wouldn't have been then had we managed to field a fit forward.We should have been 2-0 up that day!!!
I can only see positives for both parties with an agreed link up by the way.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
The last part of your post is a ridiculous statement to make.
We weren't all lairy for Christs sake.
A few on each side were,that's a given...but that was always going to happen.
We both have 23 years of history since then and I would like to say we have made tremendous progress.It wouldn't be 5-0 again if we played now,infact it wouldn't have been then had we managed to field a fit forward.We should have been 2-0 up that day!!!
I can only see positives for both parties with an agreed link up by the way.

I remember that day well and to be fair the figure of 6k wasn't to far out.
It was pretty chaotic all day and night.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I remember that day well and to be fair the figure of 6k wasn't to far out.
It was pretty chaotic all day and night.

I remember most of that day like it were yesterday,Redside.
I was 22 years old at the time,in my prime if you like,and although I agree to a certain extent regarding the afters,to claim that the entire Crawley contingent was badly behaved is utter tosh.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Any Palace supporter from Sussex needs to take a long hard look at themselves! You have a team that represents you. It is the Albion and they play for Sussex by the sea.

I would rather we changed the county boundary so that Crawley fell into Surrey than have to worry about this discussion.

There is no debate. I've never even thought about it until now.

Anyhow, if we want a feeder club then let's go for a club that we can get some value out of having a relationship with. Anyone got Real's number? Bayern?

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
I remember most of that day like it were yesterday,Redside.
I was 22 years old at the time,in my prime if you like,and although I agree to a certain extent regarding the afters,to claim that the entire Crawley contingent was badly behaved is utter tosh.

Did you go to Hayes in the second round?
There was serious trouble after the game against them.It was quite unbelievable really how violent it got.
The Next round we drew Brighton and every "lad" in Crawley decided it would be a fun day out!!!

I wonder how it would pan out today if Brighton and Crawley faced each other in the cup or league?
There would certainly be an edge to the match but that would be about it.
Would be an exciting occasion though.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
The two clubs should certainly link up.It would seem those that matter also think it would be a good idea so hopefully they can make something happen.
The two clubs are just 20 minutes apart(once the roadworks are finished)so a bit of neighbourly love wouldn't hurt anyone.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Did you go to Hayes in the second round?
There was serious trouble after the game against them.It was quite unbelievable really how violent it got.
The Next round we drew Brighton and every "lad" in Crawley decided it would be a fun day out!!!

I wonder how it would pan out today if Brighton and Crawley faced each other in the cup or league?
There would certainly be an edge to the match but that would be about it.
Would be an exciting occasion though.
Yes I was at Hayes.Proper mob out that day too.I got ejected whilst celebrating Tim Hulmes second goal.
The whole town seemed to celebrate when we drew Brighton in the next round.It made for a tough day for a few of my Albion supporting mates,that's for sure.
I'm sure a second competitive fixture isn't far away though,the law of averages says so.I say second,as I take it the 1970 pro cup final doesn't count.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Don't think it'd be too much of a bad idea, especially with our youth. Playing decent possession based, but attacking football is what Barker's done, so it'd be a good set up for any development player hoping to have a taste of action at Crawley.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They would have rather us die as a club than offer a (money spinner for them) ground share to us in our times of need. NEVER forget this

Yes I am with Vegas Seagull on this one ......bad times where we certainly found out who our friends were !!!

It was Crawley council not the football club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why not? It would be good to give some of the youngsters a crack at League 1 football on a loan basis - might even be a quicker way of sorting out which ones have got what it takes to progress.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was Crawley council not the football club.

Yes, as previously stated. I've nothing against them, they'll never get big enough crowds to be a threat to us.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Any Palace supporter from Sussex needs to take a long hard look at themselves! You have a team that represents you. It is the Albion and they play for Sussex by the sea.

I would rather we changed the county boundary so that Crawley fell into Surrey than have to worry about this discussion.

There is no debate. I've never even thought about it until now.

Anyhow, if we want a feeder club then let's go for a club that we can get some value out of having a relationship with. Anyone got Real's number? Bayern?

f you live in East Grinstead, Palace is a far easier ground to get to by public transport. Its a pig of a journey to Brighton from EG and even worse to Falmer...in fact its easier to get to Palace than Crawley from E.G. As a young Fan its 30 mins by train and as a adult its 30 mins to sober up!!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They would have rather us die as a club than offer a (money spinner for them) ground share to us in our times of need. NEVER forget this

This, and this and this. How young or absent minded are some of these posters :facepalm: Crawley were desperate for our demise in their dream of being the cream of Sussex soccer. Leaving us to trudge to poxy Priestfield every fortnight. Test icicles to them.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
This, and this and this. How young or absent minded are some of these posters :facepalm: Crawley were desperate for our demise in their dream of being the cream of Sussex soccer. Leaving us to trudge to poxy Priestfield every fortnight. Test icicles to them.
Jesus Christ you retard, for the millionth time, CTFC didn't stop us ground sharing Crawley Council did.
Did you just choose to not read the other post where someone said this ?

Crawley were desperate for our demise in their dream of being the cream of Sussex soccer.
Think you may well be making this up, I certainly didn't hear this, and my uncle was quite high on CTFC's board at the time.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Yes you are certainly right about Crawley council wehatepalace ,but I think you will find that a lot of the clubs personnel were not that keen either.But then you probably know that .

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
:wrong::wrong:

You do realise how pathetic your post is don't you?

Crawley Borough council built and own the Broadfield stadium.It was built next to a residential area, and as such the council have always taken their concerns into account.
When Brighton wanted to ground share im sure the club would have jumped at the chance.Unfortunatly Crawley Borough council were the ones with the power to make the decision.I also vaguely remember the police in Crawley not being to keen.
The stadium was built despite opposition and concerns from local residents.I recall the council making promises to the residents about future concerns that migh arise from having a football ground on your doorstep.All the usual stuff,parking,noise,yobs,floodlights to bright,etc etc.
So when Brighton asked if they could play at the stadium for a few years you can just imagine the outcry from the residents.It would have put the council in a difficult position.It was not completely ruled out by the council,trouble was, the counciler for Broadfield North made it his personal mission to stop it happening.
The deal was doomed from the start really.We must remember Crawley were playing in the Southern league with crowds in the hundreds.It would have frightened the pants off people to imagine big league sides turning up in their thousands every other Saturday,imagine the rape and pillaging they would bring with them.
So that was the end of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here