Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service?

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 46 21.1%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 25-49

Votes: 39 17.9%
  • 50-64

Votes: 71 32.6%
  • 65+

Votes: 28 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh for fucks sake.

Get them picking litter then. Scrubbing toilets.

Or maybe you’re right. Let them sit on their arses wasting tax payers money because people think their jobs are so precious that nobody but the super motivated, super qualified could possibly do it.

Designing waterproof walls? Doesn’t sound that hard, tbh.

You started it. You're on your own :lolol:

Done, it's called Glass :wink:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think you can understand why Canada are reluctant to. They’re not a great expeditionary force, and never really have been. They’re not a nuclear power. They face no real direct threat.
Given Canada faces Russia directly over the (rapidly melting) Arctic, I'd think they have some good reasons to be concerned.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
National service isn’t about serving on the frontline. Nor is the peace Corp, the wildlife trust, nursing, charity work.

I’m not talking about tarining people up for the special forces ! 🤣

Perhaps they could clean some hospital wards or help build flood defences?

And who knows. Maybe a bit of sqaure bashing in -2 at 6pm on a Friday night while their employed mates are down the pub chatting up birds and having a laugh might motivate them to get their act together.
If they aren’t train for an active role then why bother. The military isn’t a dumping ground.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If they aren’t train for an active role then why bother. The military isn’t a dumping ground.

I wasn’t for one second suggesting it was.

I haven’t served but went to a military foundation school, CCF and all that. With the expectation I would go onto join the forces. I spent many years in the ATC, have many family members in service, past and present and have a great respect for the military.

Even at cadet level, which we had to do compulsorily, I saw people who didn’t want to train or take part at first, turn from unmotivated sacks of spuds to willing and able cadets.

When the compulsory two years was over the ones who wanted to drop out had to do compulsory community service.

I don’t believe the military was seen as a dumping ground during NS and I don’t see any reason it should be so today.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anything military, absolutely no.

Something that lasts say just a month, around 16/17, and involves some kind of community/social/environmental contribution before you leave education and enter adulthood, possibly yes.
Yes lets pressgang youngsters into this, it's bound to be a vote winner...oh those that have to do this can't vote.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I wasn’t for one second suggesting it was.

I haven’t served but went to a military foundation school, CCF and all that. With the expectation I would go onto join the forces. I spent many years in the ATC, have many family members in service, past and present and have a great respect for the military.

Even at cadet level, which we had to do compulsorily, I saw people who didn’t want to train or take part at first, turn from unmotivated sacks of spuds to willing and able cadets.

When the compulsory two years was over the ones who wanted to drop out had to do compulsory community service.

I don’t believe the military was seen as a dumping ground during NS and I don’t see any reason it should be so today.
The military now, to when NS was in place is light years apart. NS would be a buggeration factor more than anything else. it’s highly technical and the resources should be aimed at that, not getting Load of 18 years old marching up and down. It shouldn’t be forgotten that many who served in Korea where NS, it was an active role back in the day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The military now, to when NS was in place is light years apart. NS would be a buggeration factor more than anything else. it’s highly technical and the resources should be aimed at that, not getting Load of 18 years old marching up and down. It shouldn’t be forgotten that many who served in Korea where NS, it was an active role back in the day.

Fair enough.

We shall just have to improve education resources and see if we can’t get them into decent jobs.

To be honest, that was my last resort but okay 😂

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think everyone's missing the point? If we go to war with Russia we'd all be wiped out fairly quickly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Funnily enough, designing glass flood walls is a right pane in the glass ( :facepalm: I couldn't resist that as soon as it occurred to me).

Seriously though, you have to make sure the wall doesn't bend under the weight of water and cause the glass to drop out.

They had to put in glass flood defences for some of my friend’s places in Shoreham who’s gerdens lead down to the river.

Bloody slog to get the council to agree to it and pay for it.

They were quite happy to brick up the end of people’s property.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Mods - Can we close the thread now please. It has gone way off topic - it doesn’t seem much point in keeping it open tbh.

It was meant as a serious topic thread but clearly the discussion is over.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
They had to put in glass flood defences for some of my friend’s places in Shoreham who’s gerdens lead down to the river.

Bloody slog to get the council to agree to it and pay for it.

They were quite happy to brick up the end of people’s property.
Well quite, I'm not joking about that bit. It's much more difficult and expensive.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Mods - Can we close the thread now please. It has gone way off topic - it doesn’t seem much point in keeping it open tbh.

It was meant as a serious topic thread but clearly the discussion is over.
I mean, you're perfectly entitled to ask for your own thread to be closed, but some of us are still enjoying the conversation.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well quite, I'm not joking about that bit. It's much more difficult and expensive.
Can you stop trolling my thread with off topic comments - it is very annoying. If you have no interest in discussing the topic why are you even posting on here?
I mean, you're perfectly entitled to ask for your own thread to be closed, but some of us are still enjoying the conversation.
Then go and have a conversation about your engineering business on another thread please.

You are deliberately trolling this one. It’s not the first time you have used this tactic to derail threads either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here