Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we Bring Back National Service?

Would you support a Form of Military Service? If so, what kind?

• No, not in any form

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • One month, as a voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • One year, voluntary, community based scheme

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Voluntary military service for 12 months

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Compulsory community based military service for one month

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Compulsory military service for 12 months

Votes: 46 21.1%
  • How old are you - 18-24

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 25-49

Votes: 39 17.9%
  • 50-64

Votes: 71 32.6%
  • 65+

Votes: 28 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably. Apologies to all.

But it is clear the Mods think I post too much (have somehow imposed my ideas on this thread too) so I’m not flouncing - I’m reading the room and fcuking off the thread when I have been clearly invited to..
One of the mods has got sand in his vagina about you for unknown reasons. Just ignore it. He is also, weirdly, one of the good guys too. Shit happens :shrug:

And I see from above that @Bry Nylon has signaled there is no vendatta. Just a bit of piss taking.

I am the Henry Kissinger of NSC :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice turn of phrase. Thanks.
:lolol: I have updated my post. You may raise one eyebrow, look into the middle distance, and adopt the visage of Holmes (Jeremy Brett) smiling very slightly at a case, almost now forgotten :thumbsup:

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Back on topic , a family member with years of military service and involvement with recruitment told me years ago about this ... It even pushed his kids ( " army brats" ) away from joining - and they knew what life is like in the army ! ..
The repercussions of this are still rattling through ..

Maybe the answer is to sort this out first .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Back on topic , a family member with years of military service and involvement with recruitment told me years ago about this ... It even pushed his kids ( " army brats" ) away from joining - and they knew what life is like in the army ! ..

Nobody in their right mind would contract anything out to Crapita (although lots do).

Everything they touch turns to :poop:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Can you stop trolling my thread with off topic comments - it is very annoying. If you have no interest in discussing the topic why are you even posting on here?

Then go and have a conversation about your engineering business on another thread please.

You are deliberately trolling this one. It’s not the first time you have used this tactic to derail threads either.
On this occasion I think you are being oversensitive. @Sid and the Sharknados is one of the good guys.

Edit as is @The Clamp
I don’t have it in for anybody, I can assure you. But if the bar is now being set so low that any thread that deviates from the OP is now considered “trolling” then Bozza may as well kick the whole thing into touch now.

Alternatively, we can continue in the same spirit and with the same ethos that has kept this place vibrant, dynamic, irreverent, funny, sad, poignant, informative and most of all just damn good fun for over a quarter of a century.

NSC is privately owned and run site, not some council-funded community hub.
Just to be clear, I am fully aware that I have an overly discursive approach to conversation. My siblings and friends regularly comment on it.
This is just how I talk to people, it's not a deliberate attempt to derail conversation.
In the last few posts on this thread, I see there's references to Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes (a correct opinion that I have strong opinions on) and Crapita (a company I spent a summer working for) either of which I'd quite happily riff on at length.
But I've no wish to annoy anybody, and I am somewhat embarrassed to have somehow wasted the mods' time on a Sunday evening (particularly given I had to ask one of them and Bozza to fix my account after the last time I flounced from it).
I'm not going to give one of those nonsense "sorry if I've annoyed you with my deliberate behaviour" apologies to Zeberdi, but I hope they understand that I'm not just willfully being an arse.
I am sorry to Bry Nylon and any other mods who've had to engage with this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just to be clear, I am fully aware that I have an overly discursive approach to conversation. My siblings and friends regularly comment on it.
This is just how I talk to people, it's not a deliberate attempt to derail conversation.
In the last few posts on this thread, I see there's references to Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes (a correct opinion that I have strong opinions on) and Crapita (a company I spent a summer working for) either of which I'd quite happily riff on at length.
But I've no wish to annoy anybody, and I am somewhat embarrassed to have somehow wasted the mods' time on a Sunday evening (particularly given I had to ask one of them and Bozza to fix my account after the last time I flounced from it).
I'm not going to give one of those nonsense "sorry if I've annoyed you with my deliberate behaviour" apologies to Zeberdi, but I hope they understand that I'm not just willfully being an arse.
I am sorry to Bry Nylon and any other mods who've had to engage with this.
Christ.

You're as precious as @Zeberdi

And almost half as precious as me :lolol:

Prattle on, my freind. Prattle on :thumbsup:

:wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I am sorry to Bry Nylon and any other mod's who've had to engage with this.
Ha! Thanks - no apology required or expected here. Genuinely no trouble to me; the threads that meander and evolve are one of the constant sources of enjoyment, pleasure and interest on NSC, given the huge range of experience and insights the community brings to pretty much any topic.

If we adopted a policy that any thread that deviates from the original topic should be considered as “trolling” and closed, we’d lose far, far more than we’d gain - in my opinion, anyway. I don’t think I’d be alone in holding that view.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Your request to close an active thread simply because you don’t approve appears to me to be arrogant and classically attention seeking.

Be sure to let me know if you want any more moderation input
Well ‘appearances are wrong’ - your further very public digs on my character establishes you clearly do not have an impartial attitude let alone a friendly one as far as I am concerned, that has been obvious for some months…you did this only a few days ago too. It may have been the wrong call to ask for my poll/thread to be locked because it had deviated from the topic and it may have been ill-conceived desire that made me return to the thread (despite you suggesting I shouldn’t) and ask if we could get back on topic but it certainly wasn’t to attract attention or anything like arrogance on my part - anyone that knows me will testify to the fact that I am the very opposite of attention seeking and arrogant. 😕

• Wow
Reactions: cjd

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
…the threads that meander and evolve are one of the constant sources of enjoyment, pleasure and interest on NSC, given the huge range of experience and insights the community brings to pretty much any topic.

If we adopted a policy that any thread that deviates from the original topic should be considered as “trolling” and closed, we’d lose far, far more than we’d gain - in my opinion, anyway. I don’t think I’d be alone in holding that view.
So you could have said all of this in the first place to me, without the personal digs and hostile attitude 🤷‍♂️

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well ‘appearances are wrong’ - your further very public digs on my character establishes you clearly do not have an impartial attitude let alone a friendly one as far as I am concerned, that has been obvious for some months…you did this only a few days ago too. It may have been the wrong call to ask for my poll/thread to be locked because it had deviated from the topic and it may have been ill-conceived desire that made me return to the thread (despite you suggesting I shouldn’t) and ask if we could get back on topic but it certainly wasn’t to attract attention or anything like arrogance on my part - anyone that knows me will testify to the fact that I am the very opposite of attention seeking and arrogant. 😕
Well, I certainly don’t come on NSC with the intention of making people feel bad or to have public digs at their character . Genuinely, I don’t. But on reflection I can see how I could have approached this differently so I’ll also publicly apologise.

Just to be clear, my views about asking for threads to be closed are nothing to do with being a moderator but far more to do with my views about NSC in general. Anyway, I propose we just draw a line under this and crack on. Genuinely no hard feelings or vendetta here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes. To make up for the 14-years training / education on a national level that they have just completed.
school doesn't teach you about life, neither do some parents . . . Some kids are just feral

I brieflyhad ideas about joining the RAF as an engineer when I was 14/15 . . . My late step father was ex army. . . . . Didn't take him more than 5 mins to explain how wonderful the forces are. . . and change my mind.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
school doesn't teach you about life, neither do some parents . . . Some kids are just feral

I brieflyhad ideas about joining the RAF as an engineer when I was 14/15 . . . My late step father was ex army. . . . . Didn't take him more than 5 mins to explain how wonderful the forces are. . . and change my mind.
Two of them attempted too enlist , both gave up after waiting ages while doing odd jobs to get some money , one now has a career and the other is trying to get back on track after wasting time .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I certainly don’t come on NSC with the intention of making people feel bad or to have public digs at their character . Genuinely, I don’t. But on reflection I can see how I could have approached this differently so I’ll also publicly apologise.

Just to be clear, my views about asking for threads to be closed are nothing to do with being a moderator but far more to do with my views about NSC in general. Anyway, I propose we just draw a line under this and crack on. Genuinely no hard feelings or vendetta here.
:bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope everyone is all lovely now.

You know who I'm talking to.

:thumbsup:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Have clicked compulsory 12 months but only because 1 month is not enough … would probably go 4 months compulsory- with extended term option. Fully paid at say adult minimum wage- full board residential. Should be something like my 4 months in Haslar - 6am …. (Full scream from instructor) EVERYBODY IN C DORM ON YOUR FEET!! - wake up - stand up - start grafting- polish the floor make bed pack full uniform March to breakfast 1 hours drill in the yard and 1 hours PE all before 9am … then continue for rest of day 1 hour recreation time in evening

Best thread title in ages 👍👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here