Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Tube leaders go to prison?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Frightens the life out of me that the original question has even been asked.
Like being in a time warp back to the 19th century :nono:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You know how much you get not how much you are worth .....There`s a lot of people doing more deserving jobs than you for a lot less money...Not everyone hides behind a union...

What a strange expression, hiding behind a union? Are you aware of what the word union means? United, standing together, are just two of the descriptions.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
"The unions rejected a "final" pay offer from LU which included a 2% rise this year and £2,000 for drivers on the weekend night Tube service. The typical salary for a Tube driver is £50,000 a year, the RMT said, but the unions maintain the new plans would be disruptive to their members' lives. They claim some employees are concerned they will have to work more overnight shifts"

£50k for driving a train isn't enough! They're getting an above inflation pay rise & a payment of £2,000. And basically they're concerned they might have to work extra overnight shifts. Absolute joke.

You know what, if I don't like my job I get another one. Why don't they go & get a new job if they don't like this one. Ah that's right, they can't because they don't have any other skills.

If this was about pay then I'd agree with you but it isn't (for once).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Driving a train has got to be one of the easiest jobs around....you go forwards on a track,stopping at stations...Driving a bus must be harder you have to steer aswell and remember your route...Do Bus Drivers get £50k...I doubt it ..

It might be easy, I don't know because I have never driven a train.

But it also carries with it a fair amount of responsibility - such as the safety of all the people who happen to be on your train.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Jealous? On this thread I've been accused of not caring about working class people, of abhorrent views, and even being a banker. I'll add jealousy to that list, though unsure what I have to be jealous about

What's a banker out of interest ? The cashier in your local branch on 20k a year getting hammered daily for not meeting sales targets and doing loads of unpaid overtime ? The ops person doing long shifts in tiny cubicle in a dingy office on the arse-end of an industrial estate for less than that ? Like it or not these types form a large % of the millions of employees in the industry in the UK, not the relatively small % of selfish (massively overpaid) goons with their noses in the trough who were allowed to mess things up so very badly..........

Stumpy Tim

What's a banker out of interest ? The cashier in your local branch on 20k a year getting hammered daily for not meeting sales targets and doing loads of unpaid overtime ? The ops person doing long shifts in tiny cubicle in a dingy office on the arse-end of an industrial estate for less than that ? Like it or not these types form a large % of the millions of employees in the industry in the UK, not the relatively small % of selfish (massively overpaid) goons with their noses in the trough who were allowed to mess things up so very badly..........

Don't ask me. Ask the guy who said I was a banker.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
51k a year for Me,37 hour week,just over 2 years training for the position I now hold,responsible for the lives of thousands of people,at present contracted to work between the hours of 0445 and 0130 for a shift not exceeding 8 hours,there is currently a TFL recruitment drive for station assistants,as you say "nice work"but I doubt you'd get it.
I ****ing love my job,best I've ever had,main reason for that?hard fought for pay and conditions by my trade union.
I don't own this job,I'm just a custodian of it,I'm doing my best to look after it for tube drivers that aren't even born yet.
Don't be envious,aspire.

Top stuff Norm!

theboybilly

Ok. If I my company told me I had to relocate to Mumbai, for example, I would quit. As I say, negotiations should (and I'm sure will) include caps on how many night shifts someone will be asked to do.

You really don't understand do you. This is TfL testing the water. More night shifts will be in their thoughts. As it is I am a train Driver and work more than my fair share of night shifts, usually 7 in a row every three or four weeks. It's a killer, made even worse when you don't have a rostered Sunday ovetime shift in the middle so that you are effectively trying to maintain a sleep pattern when you are at home. Our management don't give two hoots about that....they're tucked up in bed every night. I am firmly behind the Tube Drivers on this. You have to protect your working conditions, nobody else will.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just wish we had a union that stood up for us like they have. As a seafarer on a Bahamas registered ship under American ownership, you pretty much have zero rights.
Their attitude is "If you don't like it, there are plenty of other people who will take your job".

If only we had someone like the late Bob Crow. Be good to see a cruise ship unable to sail because of the crew protesting about their pay & conditions.
Don't get me wrong, my salary is ok, (although I breach Maritime Labor Law every week with the amount of hours I do) but the regular crew from say, Philippines, Caribbean, Indonesia, Nicaragua etc. 8-10 month contracts working every day then maximum of 2 months off before coming back. Don't know how they do it.

Up the workers!
Very much this (apart from the cruise ship bits :) )

Stumpy Tim

You really don't understand do you. This is TfL testing the water. More night shifts will be in their thoughts. As it is I am a train Driver and work more than my fair share of night shifts, usually 7 in a row every three or four weeks. It's a killer, made even worse when you don't have a rostered Sunday ovetime shift in the middle so that you are effectively trying to maintain a sleep pattern when you are at home. Our management don't give two hoots about that....they're tucked up in bed every night. I am firmly behind the Tube Drivers on this. You have to protect your working conditions, nobody else will.

I support the unions looking to limit the numbers of night shifts, though I really disagree with the way they've gone about it. It's also been pointed out that current working hours are 4.45am to 1.30am so it's not quite as drastic a change as people imagine

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
99% of people on NSC would take one of these jobs if offered .

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I support the unions looking to limit the numbers of night shifts, though I really disagree with the way they've gone about it. It's also been pointed out that current working hours are 4.45am to 1.30am so it's not quite as drastic a change as people imagine

It's pretty drastic for those that would now, presumably, be working through the night?

As it is, the latest you'll finish is 1:30am and the earliest you could start is 4:45am, which I'm guessing is on some sort of rota. Neither of those times are particularly unreasonable if you're doing them every now and again.

If you then move it to 24hr operations, you could suddenly find that you'll start a shift at 11pm, work all the way through the night and finish at 8am (or something). That's not a small change by any standard.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Clueless.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cracking debating skills there Nibble. You've really won the argument. What is it about the left who resort to name calling during a perfectly reasonable debate. It's a bit sad

You've been posting on this thread for some time now. I've put forward very reasoned arguments as has everyone else and you keep coming out with inaccurate drivel. I'm at the stage where I believe you are clueless. Hence the post. It's not personal, nor is it a name, it's an adjective.

Stumpy Tim

You've been posting on this thread for some time now. I've put forward very reasoned arguments as has everyone else and you keep coming out with inaccurate drivel. I'm at the stage where I believe you are clueless. Hence the post. It's not personal, nor is it a name, it's an adjective.
More like you disagree with my points so you refer to it as drivel. It's pathetic

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
More like you disagree with my points so you refer to it as drivel. It's pathetic

It is drivel. Inaccurate drivel. You're claiming the change in hours will have hardly any impact, It will. It's not opinion nor is it open for debate, it will massively affect their working life. Now, whether or not you agree with the decision to strike, that IS a matter of opinion and you quite reasonably argue a point. But to claim that it wont affect their lives much is inaccurate drivel.

When I say clueless, don't imagine someone being aggressive or snarky, pointing a finger and sneering. Imagine someone shaking their head and strolling off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here