Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Tube leaders go to prison?

50k a year, how many hours do they do per week, I heard just under 38? Nice work if you can get it!

51k a year for Me,37 hour week,just over 2 years training for the position I now hold,responsible for the lives of thousands of people,at present contracted to work between the hours of 0445 and 0130 for a shift not exceeding 8 hours,there is currently a TFL recruitment drive for station assistants,as you say "nice work"but I doubt you'd get it.
I ****ing love my job,best I've ever had,main reason for that?hard fought for pay and conditions by my trade union.
I don't own this job,I'm just a custodian of it,I'm doing my best to look after it for tube drivers that aren't even born yet.
Don't be envious,aspire.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in the late 90's I met a apprentice that worked with me some years ago, he was working in London rewiring an office block his earnings were as follows
£100 a day
£150 overnight
£200 for Saturday work
£200 for Sunday + day off in the week
so if he stayed overnight at the weekends and worked his day off he could earn well over £1500 a week
now that was in the late 90's I don't know what you could earn now
so 50k a year for driving an underground railcar is reasonable and asking for enhanced rates for night and weekend working is NOT unreasonable.
I wish I had been born 30 years later than I was ...............................I would be very well off £1500 a week jeez I was lucking if I earned that in a month

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not propaganda,I've seen the offer and it's four hour time limit to all four unions,facts are it's not about money

of course its about the money. dont lie to yourself or others, if the offer is improved, it will eventually be accepted. the unions arent saying "no night tubes for our memebers, end of", they hare holding out for a larger slice of pie. and a slice big enough for all members, not just those affected. also, this time limit argument is bogus, the last industrial action (on another matter) was called off to take the offer back to the members. the unions decided the offer wasnt enough, not the membership.

...at present contracted to work between the hours of 0445 and 0130 for a shift not exceeding 8 hours

which for me highlights this is over a change of work practice to cover an additional 3 hours. not quite the work-life balance change that some are making out. i had great sympathy for this strike originally, but its diminishing as some of the details come to light, the unions are abusing the situation.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Everyone who earns more than you is a capitalist pig who's cheated their way to the top.
Everyone who earns less is a work shy lollygagger who deserves all the crap the get.

One simply cannot win.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
51k a year for Me,37 hour week,just over 2 years training for the position I now hold,responsible for the lives of thousands of people,at present contracted to work between the hours of 0445 and 0130 for a shift not exceeding 8 hours,there is currently a TFL recruitment drive for station assistants,as you say "nice work"but I doubt you'd get it.
I ****ing love my job,best I've ever had,main reason for that?hard fought for pay and conditions by my trade union.
I don't own this job,I'm just a custodian of it,I'm doing my best to look after it for tube drivers that aren't even born yet.
Don't be envious,aspire.
spot on again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't be envious,aspire.

You have our respect for both the job you do and the stand you take for you and your colleagues. People, take note of the very last sentence.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Don't be envious,aspire.

Envious of what... your excessive paypacket perhaps.. £1000 week for 37 hour week......Aspire to be Train Driver:sick:......I think you have higher opinion of yourself than most..

It is on TFL headed paper signed by Griffiths himself,the offer was made at 1430 and expired at 1830,as for the money bit,it was TFL that decided to merge night tube talks and pay negotiations,the unions have wanted to discuss the proper implementation of night since Boris got his cock out and waved it in the air on the subject years ago,unions ARE all for night tube if it PROPERLY implemented,that requires negotiation of rosters and financial compensation for extra weekend and night working.

Stumpy Tim

Don't be envious,aspire.

Nice post. I disagree with you on this strike, but it's good to know you enjoy the job and are proud of it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Envious of what... your excessive paypacket perhaps.. £1000 week for 37 hour week......Aspire to be Train Driver:sick:......I think you have higher opinion of yourself than most..

So what do you do which is so ****ing great? By all means flatten me by saying your a paediatric surgeon or something uber-worthy. Otherwise don't be so snobby.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Really? Speak for yourself, it's a deservedly well paid job and as for knocking the hours , well that's just childlike. I go on trains a lot and I want well rested , alert drivers thank you. It's a tough job to get and a tough job to perform well.

You sir are speaking out of your dinner dumper.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Even as the solid Tory that I am I think prison is going a bit too far. Hopefully though, driverless trains, as they have on the DLR (and as the Victoria Line can be operated already) will render strike action pointless. No sympathy for them or the Great Western staff from me I'm afraid.

You know how much you get not how much you are worth .....There`s a lot of people doing more deserving jobs than you for a lot less money...Not everyone hides behind a union...

Of course there are a lot more people doing deserving jobs for less money than myself and my colleagues,do you think that if,overnight my pay was halved and my hours doubled that those people would all of a sudden get more financial reward?
By being bitter and resenting my pay,or my right to decent conditions is not going to get you anywhere.
Aspire.
Don't be fooled into a race to the bottom,you are so much better that that.
Get out there and be brilliant.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
You're aware that you're claiming that 50k a year for a train driver is excessive on a football forum?

Think of how much a player takes home p/a for a job that, despite bringing joy to many (sometimes, ignore last year), is probably a lot less vital than most and with far kinder working hours.

Edit; You could of course agree that players are overpaid in the first place, my point is that people tend to be paid whatever the market value of their particular skillset is. I find it hard to believe that TFL would pay the drivers that if they didn't think they were worth it.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Of course there are a lot more people doing deserving jobs for less money than myself and my colleagues,do you think that if,overnight my pay was halved and my hours doubled that those people would all of a sudden get more financial reward?
By being bitter and resenting my pay,or my right to decent conditions is not going to get you anywhere.
Aspire.
Don't be fooled into a race to the bottom,you are so much better that that.
Get out there and be brilliant.

I`m not bitter or envious....and you agree with me as per your first two lines......And yes to the Gullflying high......Compared with footballers NBSML does a good job for poor money.....Lunch break over back to my £50k week job...

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I dont generally reply to threads about politics on here anymore, seeing this as an exercise in pointlessness. However having read a bunch of people talking nonsense about the lives of others, when they have no idea what these lives would be like is irritating. Particularly when the original poster believes imprisoning should be an option. So I thought perhaps the words of someone going on strike about why he is doing it, may help you understand.

http://www.london24.com/news/transport/a_tube_drive_explains_why_he_s_striking_1_4144229

I wont waste time sharing the evidence of the appalling effects that long term night working has upon someones physical and mental health, as I doubt you'd care.

Have a nice day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here