Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should the League Cup be axed?

Would you rather the competition was axed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Dean Smith made 9 changes for his team against us. Hardly taking it 'that' seriously. Get rid of the stupid thing.

No. The only change I'd make (it might already have been said) is to make the semi-finals one leg on a neutral venue.

I imagine the Crawley and Colchester fans are getting very excited at the prospect of making the quarter-finals.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
All the time Pep is playing a near full strength team, the cups are effectively dead (see FAC last season). Sure a few little clubs can get through a few rounds and earn a few extra quid but they won't win it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Voted "fence" as I feel completely and utterly apathetic about the League Cup nowadays.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
2 nil win away at Leicester in 1994, with a Stuart Munday worldie. Yes, I love the League Cup!

Jeez, 25th anniversary on Oct 5th!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dean Smith made 9 changes for his team against us. Hardly taking it 'that' seriously. Get rid of the stupid thing.

El Mohamady, McGinn, Jota and Hourihane are very experienced players with quality. No one would deny, shirley, that when the team’s were announced, it was always going to be a lovely evening to be a Villa fan. Borne out by the huge swing in bookies odds in the hour pre match. And so it proved to be. The media including some broadsheet writers used the word “outclassed”.

This is not a criticism of our hitherto ‘uncapped’ players btw.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Ridiculous.

The Villa line up, with transfer fees paid, and the number of appearances each have made in this season's Premier League:

Steer (free)
El Mohammady (£2m) App. 5
Konsa (£12m)
Hause (£3m)
Targett (£14m)
McGinn (2.8m) App. 6
Luiz (12.5m) App 5
Hourinhane (£3m) App. 3
Jota (£2m) App. 5
Davies (Academy) App. 3
Trezeguet (£9m) App. 5

Total, £60m, PL App: 32

And on the bench:
Nyland (2.7m)
Wesley (£22.5m) App. 6
Grealish (Academy) App. 6
El Ghazi (£4.5m) App. 5
Guilbert (£5m) App. 4
Mings (£20m) App. 6

Total, £55m, PL App: 27

In comparison, our complete squad boasted 7 PL appearances between them - and that includes four sub appearances by Bong / Connolly.

To suggest that Smith, like Potter, didn't 'care' is an absolute nonsense.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ridiculous.

The Villa line up, with transfer fees paid, and the number of appearances each have made in this season's Premier League:

Steer (free)
Konsa (£12m)
Hause (£3m)
Targett (£14m)
McGinn (2.8m) App. 6
Luiz (12.5m) App 5
Hourinhane (£3m) App. 3
Jota (£2m) App. 5
Davies (Academy) App. 3
Trezeguet (£9m) App. 5

And on the bench:
Nyland (2.7m)
Wesley (£22.5m) App. 6
El Ghazi (£4.5m) App. 5
Guilbert (£5m) App. 4
Mings (£20m) App. 6

In comparison, our complete squad boasted 7 PL appearances between them - and that includes four sub appearances by Bong / Connolly.

If you take it seriously, you play your best team. No ifs, no buts. If you don't take it seriously you don't. Why this clamor to pick a half and half side I really don't understand.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ridiculous.

Steer (free)
Konsa (£12m)
Hause (£3m)
Targett (£14m)
McGinn (2.8m) App. 6
Luiz (12.5m) App 5
Hourinhane (£3m) App. 3
Jota (£2m) App. 5
Davies (Academy) App. 3
Trezeguet (£9m) App. 5

And on the bench:
Nyland (2.7m)
Wesley (£22.5m) App. 6
El Ghazi (£4.5m) App. 5
Guilbert (£5m) App. 4
Mings (£20m) App. 6

Cheers, you can’t argue with irrefutable facts.

Bizarrely, some would though! Don’t know why? Pride I suppose.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you take it seriously, you play your best team. No ifs, no buts. If you don't take it seriously you don't. Why this clamor to pick a half and half side I really don't understand.

Rubbish. Picking a side that you think is good enough to win, is taking it seriously. If the opposition are such that only your best team is likely to do so, then yes, you might need them. Other times, given the nature of the opposition, you have the luxury of leaving out SOME important players and still remaining very confident of a positive result.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rubbish. Picking a side that you think is good enough to win, is taking it seriously. If the opposition are such that only your best team is likely to do so, then yes, you might need them. Other times, given the nature of the opposition, you have the luxury of leaving out SOME important players and still remaining very confident of a positive result.

You’ve obviously played the game, not just an armchair manager.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Different definitions of taking it seriously then. Whatever, no point in us trying to win this cup this season, and it bores me every year now. The win over Leicester back in 94 was such a good night, its just a completely different competition now. Focus on the league, the FA Cup and the European trophies

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would make a rule that you cannot be admitted to the League Cup if you qualify for the Champions League. That could be extended to any European football for that matter.

League Cup already clashes with Champions League fixtures, so why not relieve the strain on the Champions League clubs so they have their best chance of success in Europe, and in turn their removal gives the other teams their best chance of a trophy.

It's already devalued, I don't see why having say no ManCity, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea would change that really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here