Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should the League Cup be axed?

Would you rather the competition was axed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do I have to add a title to a reply? NSC is behaving weirdly.

not really though. dont think i watched the final in over a decade.

A lot of that may be because it was shown only on Sky Sports at one time, or was on when we were taking the kids out for a Sunday afternoon constitutional. Or it was Luton versus one-nil-to-the Arsenal. Or I didn't know it was on.

I'd watch it, but these days it probably clashes with a more interesting PL game.

.....I think it has gone down hill since the milk marketing board took over the marketing. Swindon 3, Arsenal 1, now that was a game. Although, hang on, I didn't watch that one :facepalm::lolol::thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What I'm thinking: if the League Cup were scrapped, would clubs take the FA Cup more seriously on account of it being the only major domestic trophy on offer?

Not in my opinion Jasper or not to the later rounds if their second team has come through. Of course I went to Wembley even though I missed West Brom and Derby at home.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Far be it from me to make this go the same way as the other threads, but no one had any inkling that yesterday's team was going to be anything like that.

It was some way from what anyone could reasonably expect.

Yes, agreed. I think it probably is only a question of degree. I simply meant that one cannot expect the first 11, rightly or wrongly, but the team yesterday caught us all by surprise.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
NO - Because if you start to bow to all these Owners who are only interested in the "cash cows" like the Champions League then we might as well just watch everything on TV and create the atmosphere using a "virtual crowd created atmosphere" for the armchair fans

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The fans of the teams doing well are loving it. Tell colchester, Burton or Oxford or Rochdale it should be scrapped. Trying to bin it off the day after we went out of it isn't a good look

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Aston Villa gave it the respect it deserved, most clubs did so I guess it will be up to us if we want to put out the U18s. Surely makes sense to do it in the second round though

The fans of the teams doing well are loving it. Tell colchester, Burton or Oxford or Rochdale it should be scrapped. Trying to bin it off the day after we went out of it isn't a good look

And you missed the club up the road who have a credible route to the quarter finals

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

At least we lost to another Premier League club.

It also hasn't given Villa a clue on how we will play the league game. Maybe they'll be complacent, with a bit of luck.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I don’t particularly like it, it provides valuable experiences for all teams entering the competition, whether that be thecreserve teams of better clubs, or teams from lower leagues.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I couldn’t make it because of work, but was at Bristol Rovers in the previous round, which was my favourite game of the season so far.

I’d rather they scrapped the Premier League to be honest and changed the European Cup back to a straight knock out over two legs.

Football is crap these days. Getting rid of the League Cup would make it even more crap.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

This all over

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I couldn’t make it because of work, but was at Bristol Rovers in the previous round, which was my favourite game of the season so far.

I’d rather they scrapped the Premier League to be honest and changed the European Cup back to a straight knock out over two legs.

Football is crap these days. Getting rid of the League Cup would make it even more crap.

Agreed re the European Cup. I only watch when it gets to the knockout rounds. No interest in the ‘league’ stage as it seems to be just an artificial money grab.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The FA should set a rule which makes teams play 5 1st teamers minimum from the last league game. This and the FA Cup have been belittled by money

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It should be a genuine League Cup - for Football League clubs only.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Most Albion fans can’t be bothered.

Potter not interested (okay, okay, ‘not prioritising…’).

No European reward from next season....

Err, most Brighton fans couldn’t be bothered with the FA Cup last year against our ARCH rivals, in fact even less could be bothered with that, 14,500 crowd for that, 14,900 on Wednesday, so should we scrap that as well?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It should be a genuine League Cup - for Football League clubs only.

That would kill it off, as lower league teams wouldn't have the opportunity to draw a Premier League 'Giant'.

It was called The League Cup from the days that this meant Divisions 1 to 4. Remove the top division and it becomes a bit like the old Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I understand the sentiment in most of this, except the bit on the European Cup where in my view you are looking back all misty eyed at a time that never existed.

The European Cup was always shite, bar some very occasional big match ups. Same goes for the other two competitions.

Sure we can talk about it being a cash cow in the early group stages these days but at least the continent's biggest clubs actually play each other - in every single round. You can't really argue that a team has an easy path to winning the Champions League these days. My only issue with it is that the name is a complete misnomer, which explains how Liverpool have won it twice.

As for the League Cup, yeah get rid. It has always been shite. It is irrelevant these days, and when it wasn't irrelevant I'm afraid we always traditionally played as if it were. Those worrying about lower league clubs and sources of income would be better off campaigning for a fairer distribution of wealth in the game, not for propping up this moribund load of shite competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here