Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should the League Cup be axed?

Would you rather the competition was axed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think it's good "entry level" for the youngsters as Potter did this season. Gives them invaluable experience.

However the Villa game this year was overshadowed by Barber rinsing the fans of £15 to watch what wasn't even our reserves.

But I wouldn't want to bin the competition if it's used to blood the youngsters. Just don't use it as a rip-off opportunity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would make a rule that you cannot be admitted to the League Cup if you qualify for the Champions League. That could be extended to any European football for that matter.

League Cup already clashes with Champions League fixtures, so why not relieve the strain on the Champions League clubs so they have their best chance of success in Europe, and in turn their removal gives the other teams their best chance of a trophy.

It's already devalued, I don't see why having say no ManCity, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea would change that really.

Yeah, there is a price to pay perhaps, but there are 16 other top flight teams including say a ManUtd or Arsenal to give the chance of an upset.

So you're happy with it as it is? The FA cup deals with all the romance stuff.

Last 6 winners, Man City x4, Man Utd and Chelsea. In that time there's only been 2 teams outside the top 6 even contesting the final.

I think it could be a much better competition excluding the teams that already play far more games than the rest of us.

A top 6 side has won 17 of the last 22 League Cups. Take the Champions League teams out of it, yeah I think it would transform the competition. I think almost certainly the other 16 PL teams will see it as a great chance for a trophy and not just an inconvenience to the league. I think clubs from lower divisions will also see it as a better chance of success, because as you say PL teams will still use their squads.

Man City played 61 games last season, Liverpool 53. Despite us getting to the FA Cup semi final including a replay, we played 45. Got to even it out a bit. Is it any wonder our top players are shattered when it gets to an international tournament? Take the league cup out of it for them. City would still have played 55 and Liverpool 52 games. No brainer for me.

An idea. Keep the comp, it should be good, and another giant killng money generating opportunity for the smaller clubs.

However, eliminate the top 6 or 7 from the PL who have qualified for europe that season. Gives everyone else a better chance and saves the big boys the hassle they clearly don't want.

Could have done with you joining in a month ago! :lolol:

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
As a small club, the League Cup and its "big day outs" used to be important to us.

Let's not forget about the 52 clubs outside the Premier League, nor where we came from.

72 clubs. I'm sure you meant that.

71 currently with Bury axed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Solskjaer, Smith and Emery really going for it, playing most of the best PL elevens, especially ManU. Sensing silverware.

Whilst their opponents are doing a part-Potter, playing a few unknown kids.

Shirley Solskjaer’s got this right, a trophy in the cabinet, rather than looking years ahead?

A2EE4238-A470-480D-BC57-677E5E422B9D.png

990D24BA-60C4-445E-B9CE-31ADDF270AD9.png

07B55FBC-D07A-4DDA-8D86-6D4977F25633.png

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
A ten goal thriller between two of the "big" teams in the PL, and no-one batting an eyelid here on NSC perhaps answers the question posed. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy watching the game myself as a neutral. A little disappointed for Arsenal not managing to see the game out, and bloody Liverpool winning yet again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A ten goal thriller between two of the "big" teams in the PL, and no-one batting an eyelid here on NSC perhaps answers the question posed. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy watching the game myself as a neutral. A little disappointed for Arsenal not managing to see the game out, and bloody Liverpool winning yet again.

I followed the matches online. Arsenal played a far superior team, their fans couldn’t believe their luck pre-match, a bit of a Villa at the Amex moment. Filling of boots at the bookies. How many neutral fans have heard of Kelleher, Williams, Van Den Berg and Elliott’s 16? That quality Arsenal team were 2-4 up and still blew it. Their fans are so angry with Emery just now.

Solskjaer went all out silverware with a famous starting 10, only missing De Gea, and the inevitable happened they won.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Interestingly, and say what you will about Liverpool, the match was a sellout - 52,000 spectators. Although I think the tickets were £9.

I’m in Liverpool at the moment visiting the in-laws and thought about going (yep, as a football tourist), but there were no tickets easily available. Had there been availability I would have had to pre-register online with a Merseyside L local address several days before buying and paying for a ticket and then turning up at the ticket office with a passport/driving licence + recent, addressed, utility bill + payment card used on online purchase to collect a paper ticket.

At least this competition brings football to the (local) masses.

In my day we just used to roll up at the Anfield Road turnstiles after the pub on Saturday afternoon and queue to stand in the Kop.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interestingly, and say what you will about Liverpool, the match was a sellout - 52,000 spectators. Although I think the tickets were £9.

I’m in Liverpool at the moment visiting the in-laws and thought about going (yep, as a football tourist), but there were no tickets easily available. Had there been availability I would have had to pre-register online with a Merseyside L local address several days before buying and paying for a ticket and then turning up at the ticket office with a passport/driving licence + recent, addressed, utility bill + payment card used on online purchase to collect a paper ticket.

At least this competition brings football to the (local) masses.

In my day we just used to roll up at the Anfield Road turnstiles after the pub on Saturday afternoon and queue to stand in the Kop.

I expected Villa, Chelsea and Liverpool to have big gates this evening. Not sure what the attendances were? Some sets of fans still like this tournament. Love it when clubs lower the prices.

(Rounded - 53,000, 35,000 & 39,000).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Watched the Liverpool second half and so much more enjoyable without VAR.

Just feels better and much less sanitised. The game importantly flows so much better too.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Man City or Pep treats it seriously. So everyone else doesn't have an excuse not too really.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I can't see them degrading the competition by dropping out, like ManUre under Fergie did to the FA cup to play in some tin pot bollocks overseas.

The FA sold their soul and did ask them to withdraw in Utd's defence. They needed to suck up to FIFA as much as they could to win the right to host the '06 World Cup - that went well.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Even more reason to simply omit the Champions League qualifying teams from the competition at the start of the season.

15 of the last 20 winners of the EFL cup have been won by the Big 6. I get that Liverpool potentially pulling out of a QF is a farce but one of them always seems to win it even if they send the kids out.

I'm just disappointed I couldn't get Arsenal for 1000 on the exchange like the early noughties and pray Liverpool drop out leaving a nice bet in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bit of a problem with Liverpool fulfilling their quarter final fixture at Villa........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50240295

The fixture pile up looks bad, but Liverpool have the squad and the youth team to field 2 or 3 strong teams in these "low priority" games. They'll clearly prioritise the Premier League.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if we were playing them in December.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The fixture pile up looks bad, but Liverpool have the squad and the youth team to field 2 or 3 strong teams in these "low priority" games. They'll clearly prioritise the Premier League.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if we were playing them in December.

Apart from the 8pm KO, Leicester playing them at home on Boxing Day looks as good as time as any to play them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here