Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should smoking be banned in public places in the UK?

Should smoking be banned in public places in the UK

• Yes

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I'm an 'occassional' smoker and definitely think smoking should be banned on public transport. There's nothing worse than sitting on a bus or train when some chavvy bastard lights up.

However I can't see where the problem is with smoking outdoors. f***'s sake, the smoke goes up into the atmosphere. How is that harming anyone but the smoker?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yes for restaurants - cant stand eating my food whilst some fat bastard on the adjacent table lights up with no respect for those around him.

No for pubs - it would kill the atmosphere and of all my friends only 2-3 dont smoke so we'd be loners! I have seen some of the most pathetic "Non-smoking" area's in pubs which resemble 2 square metres...completley pointless!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Cheeky Monkey said:
A Marlboro Light and a pint of Guinness = the meaning of life. As a smoker, as well as the enjoyment a ciggie gives, you also get to die younger so you've got less stress than a non-smoker who has to worry about whether they will be able to survive on their £50pw pension and whether they'll have paid off the mortgage by then. It's a win-win situation. :smokin: :drink:

And you'll be able to purchase an annuity with a better rate than a non-smoker, so you're quids in for your shorter life.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Westdene Seagull said:

With my Non-Smokers hat on - I hate coming home from the pub stinking of smoke. I don't like the smell and I like even less having to breathe in the smoke. Why should I have to put myself at risk of getting cancer just to be able to have a pint in a pub.

You don't. Go to Wetherspoons.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I think the way the vote's going on this reflects what a difficult issue it is. I gave up cigarettes over a year ago and I since then I am more aware of smokey pubs and other public places but I don't think an overall ban is the answer. Pubs are (or certainly should be) adult places where adults can go to relax with freedom. I'm all for non-smoking pubs, rooms or areas as long as smokers can still have a fag and a drink somewhere without being treated as social pariahs.
Also, an outright ban in public would increase smoking in peoples homes where children who cannot go anywhere else will then have to breathe in the toxins.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What i don't get is that bar staff complain about people smoking in bars.

Why did they go for the job in the first place? Next they'll be saying that they don't like talking to drunk people.

WANKERS.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
well thats reasoned, considered and partly true Safeway :lolol:

I dont like smokey confined areas . . . so no smoking on public transport is good, although a long train should have a seperate carriage, and large longhaul planes should have a room/bar for a swift toke . . . . even a spare Lav would be better than nothing for die hard tokers like Pasty :lolol:

no smoiking pubs are gay . . .I went to one in Cambridge once . . . . . .very strange :eek:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
What i don't get is that bar staff complain about people smoking in bars.

Why did they go for the job in the first place? Next they'll be saying that they don't like talking to drunk people.

WANKERS.

I agree with you there. This Union guy this morning was banging on about protecting his members health. That's a bit like taking a job as an undertaker and then complaining that dead bodies make you feel a bit squiffy. It's a total non-argument. Get a job in a healthclub or something.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
no. even though i packed in smoking 5 weeks ago, 1 thing that always really annoyed me was the way smokers were treated as the scum of the earth. still think the same, its wrong to treat anybody with any defect in this way.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
smokemon.jpg

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I think it's all a matter of how it affects other people. If it's in a confined space, or somewhere where people can't move away (eg modern all-seater grounds), smoking is inconsiderate and should be banned (or preferrably, people just would choose not to do it.

However, in open spaces I think it's acceptable, and in pubs I sort of expect and accept it (I know this is still an enclosed space, but I think it's a different deal)

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Hey, why they're at it, why not make it compulsory for everyone to wear brown shirts, false moustaches and swastika armbands.

The world is turning into Nazi f***ing Germany. Why were the world wars even fought?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Oh please, I cant get started on this again.
I am off to have a smoke(outside even though Iam at home, thats how considerate Iam)before I get too stressed about the situation.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just last night on the news, a landlord of a Dublin pub is fully expecting his profit margins to decrease by a minimum of 25% as a direct result of the new smoking ban over there.

Do you pro-banners want to be responsible for the price of beer going up ?
:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here