Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should smoking be banned in public places in the UK?

Should smoking be banned in public places in the UK

• Yes

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
What do you reckon? Nanny State or sensible health option? :smokin:

Attachments

• my lounge.jpg
    my lounge.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 313

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Now I've quit. Yes.

to be fair a lot of people who are trying to give up fail because it is so hard when they go out. If there is no one else smoking then it would be much easier. I wouldn't opt for a total ban but I think it should be illegal to smoke at the bar as the workers have to put up with it. Also every bar should have a no smoking area so at least you have the choice to get away from it if you want.

In my opinion (and I used to smoke) even smokers don't want to be surrounded by smoke when they're not lit up! Look at the smoking carrage on trains! People nip down for a fag then go back to their seat. Very few people fancy sitting in the smoking carrage for the entire journey as it stinks. Why not just have a smoking room in pubs?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
Why not just have a smoking room in pubs?

Pub owners won't go for it. There are plenty of pubs that now don't allow smoking at the bar anyway, or more subtely (sp?) simply remove the ashtrays from the bar so that people don't light up. as well as the pubs that have seperate smoking areas.

These pubs are available for those who do not wish to be surrounded by smoke. Unfortunately they are crap and lack atmosphere. If you don't want smoking around you i suggest you do not visit pubs with the sticker that says, 'Smoking allowed throughout' on it. Problem solved.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think people should have the freedom to choose to be honest. I certainly wouldn't miss it though being a non smoker.

I think it's a safe bet it won't happen, one thing i,ve leanrt about this government is they never make a decision on anything that may cause ructions look at the licensing law debate it goes on and on. All credit to the Irish government for having the balls to do it.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
now im anti smoking, but dont agree with banning it in pubs,
my vice is drinking and some peoples is drinking and smoking, after a hard days work they should be able to relax and enjoy if they so wish in a pub! they should have proper seperated smoking areas in resturants and pubs should invest in good extracter fans.

What I do think sould be banned in SMOKING IN PUBLIC
nobody should be allowed to smoke outside,
if i was in a bus que and someone next to me lit up i have no right to ask him to put it out and i would have to move, thus losing my place in the que.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its all about choice....

why not allow people the choice - I'm interestedly watching what happens in Ireland - the ban being imposed will, I think have huge social implications, and for me this is these bans represent a government trying to change social behaviour, which imposes a nanny state....

We should have the freedom to choose - make money on cigarette tax by all means - but let us choose....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A Marlboro Light and a pint of Guinness = the meaning of life. As a smoker, as well as the enjoyment a ciggie gives, you also get to die younger so you've got less stress than a non-smoker who has to worry about whether they will be able to survive on their £50pw pension and whether they'll have paid off the mortgage by then. It's a win-win situation. :smokin: :drink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If they did I think Id give up again a lot easier . . .because I'm not one to stand outside in the pissing rain just for a fag . . . .If Im allowed however I will . . . .lazy and slack maybe !

I do think its taking the bloody piss . . . .its our choice if we smoke, equally its your choice if you dont. we know its bad for us, but we dont care ! if you dont like it themn piss off and tell someone who does, but you cant force us into not smoking . . .it'll end up like prohibition in the states . . . .a national Joke . . .within a month Dublin will have a 'smoking club' :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, it depends on what you mean by a 'public place'. A pub is obviously a public place but so are the seats at Withdean.

You don't have to go in a pub and you don't have to go into Withdean. On the other hand you may HAVE to catch a train or bus. Whilst the vehicles themselves are usually non smoking the queues aren't.

It's the same with resturants, they tend to have designated smoking areas although these often don't have enough space between the seats. Once again though, if you don't like it don't eat there, it's not compulsory.

As a former smoker I find the best way to deal with smoking is to avoid when possible. I don't have a problem unless it's in a confined space or when it's explicitly prohibited (like the Tube).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Goring Gull said:
I think people should have the freedom to choose to be honest. I certainly wouldn't miss it though being a non smoker.

I think it's a safe bet it won't happen, one thing i,ve leanrt about this government is they never make a decision on anything that may cause ructions look at the licensing law debate it goes on and on. All credit to the Irish government for having the balls to do it.

Remember that if the government lost the revenue from cigarettes income tax would literally rocket.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Pub owners won't go for it.

Pub owners won't get a choice.

It will be banned in the UK within 3 years, no doubt about it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm in two minds ...

With my Freedom hat on I would say people should be able to do what they want with as little interferance from Government as possible. We should not become a Nanny state ( although we already are to some extent ).

With my Non-Smokers hat on - I hate coming home from the pub stinking of smoke. I don't like the smell and I like even less having to breathe in the smoke. Why should I have to put myself at risk of getting cancer just to be able to have a pint in a pub.

Hard one to call but I would guess it will be banned soon anyway regardless of what the public want.

I think the Irish have really shot themselves in the foot with this. After all, their entire tourist trade is sold on the fact they've got a few pubs. Get f***ed on Guinness, go to the Guinness factory, get a bit more f***ed on Guinness, go home. That IS the Ireland experience.

I think people that enjoy lighting up when they have a drink are going to think twice now before going there.

Stupid f***ing PADDIES. :jester:

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The biggest joke is that they showed a cigar shop in Ireland which has a 'social' room in the back where cigar conniseurs can enjoy their cigars in the company of other like-minded bods and this practice will have to close under the new regulations - it's a friggin cigar shop for christs sake! I agree with the comment above that there will be no smoking in pubs/restaurants and other public places within three years in the UK. It still amazes me that people smoke in the Arndale Centre in Eastbourne, just doesn't seem right as it's a closed indoor area.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Definately no ban. It's bad enough already. Can't smoke on trains, can't smoke on buses, can't smoke on aeroplanes, can't smoke at my desk, can't smoke in a number of restaurants already, can't smoke in my brothers house (ok not the governments fault).

I like smoking, I enjoy smoking, and I should not be penalised by a ban on it.......and relax.....think I'll go for a fag.

:smokin:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So it's okay for you to smoke even if it does annoy others ? I agree that in an open space that's fine but in trains, planes and buses, confined spaces, I think not.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fair enough about confined spaces, but what on earth is wrong with having just one carriage on a train where people can smoke ? Upstairs on a bus ? Back rows of an aeroplane etc etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here